The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Apr 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #106 of 1,043
Suikoden Tactics is based off Suikoden IV, and it's a prequel. It's more of a spin off, but it does tie in to IV. I just didn't like the game enough to finish it, and I love all the Suikodens.

Can't wait till you start on II... if you end up liking I, II is gonna blow you away. :)

Seriously, best game ever. :D

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #107 of 1,043
about a year ago i started collecting video games. i think i'm at like 350 nes games...then i went on to playstation 1 basically for the rpgs. i think i'm up to 90 ps1 games, in my opinion the best system for jrpgs. suikoden was the first rpg i ever played, and i fell in love. first game that i actually cared about the characters...and when *SPOILER stop reading if you are playing!!!!!!! gremio died...i almost felt like i lost a friend lol. *END SPOILER* so i wanted to get all the titles back i played as a teenager, and all the ones i never got a chance to play. i think my favorites on the system would be suikoden 1,2 xenogears, bof3, both lunar games, and of course the ff games. i never played legend of dragoon or alundra...but my backlog of games right now is beyond ridiculous. i think the only 2 rpgs i'm missing from ps1 is suikoden 2 and valkyrie profile. it's a shame they don't really make any good jrpgs anymore. i think they made a game on we called xenoblade...or something that is supposed to be pretty amazing. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #108 of 1,043
So...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/10/project-cross-zone-is-like-namco-x-capcom-x-sega-for-3ds/

Project Cross Zone is like NamcoxCapcomxSega, a strategy RPG....

IF this gets localized in english, this would DEFINITELY make me buy a 3DS.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #109 of 1,043
odd...i wonder if there would be any story...and if it'd be awkward. like dissidia on psp with all the character mashups. the game itself was pretty fun, but it felt weird. really the gameplay is what matters in a turn based strategy. i've only played final fantasy tactics, and a little bit of tactics ogre in the genre, but i liked them both a lot. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #110 of 1,043
They've been doing mashups like this for years. Super Robot Wars being probably the most popular. I loved Endless Frontier, and I expect this to be even better.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #111 of 1,043
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/11/project-x-zone-crosses-over-namco-bandai-capcom-and-sega
http://andriasang.com/con0lk/images/23vmi/full.jpg

Crossovers like a staple in Japan.  Super Robot Wars is the staple for crossover mecha.  Safe to say that Endless Frontier/NxCxS/Project X Zone is gonna be the staple for crossovers non-mecha.

And here's some random music from SRW Z2.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wQar4LMjwg Main character (Crowe) 2nd theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhDdOOtIdyo Knight of Knights (boss)

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #112 of 1,043
Got persona 3 for PS3 a few days ago.
Named my character as my self.
"Some people have started heading voices before apathy syndrome, but I bet you haven't heard them as you always have your headphones on Kolten-san"
OH GOD, THE GAMES KNOWS!

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #113 of 1,043
Finished FFIV, though doing the Lunar Ruins now, and then moving on to FFIV Interlude.

I haven't played Tales of Graces F in over a week, since I've been busy watching all of Prison Break, and getting constant invites of Castlevania HD. I do wanna play Tales though. :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #115 of 1,043

Quote:

Xenoblade was pretty much built with the Classic Controller in mind. It's quite telling that an European collector's edition had a special red Classic Controller Pro.

You can play it with Wiimote + Nunchuk if you don't have one, though, and it doesn't use motion controls or the IR pointer at all, so no worries about poorly-implemented waggle.

Oh nice, I'd love to find some better RPGS for the Wii, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny was a disappointment... it LAGGS SO HARD in the higher level Dugeons on the Wii, thankfully RF Frontier is still epicly awesome...

Quote:
I felt Chrono Cross was good to great. The meat of the story was amazing. However, it didn't pull off a lot of good characters the way Suikoden did. That, and it was too much of a departure from Chrono Trigger, which to me will forever be legendary. That's not nostalgia speaking. Chrono Trigger is just one of the best games of all time. I can play that game every year and still feel this way. Chrono Cross just couldn't quite match it.
And Mshenay, you're missing out. Lots of amazing jrpgs post SNES era.
Still playing both FFIV Collection and Tales of Graces F. FFIV is definitely more of a nostalgia trip, as I'm not in love with it like I used to be. It feels too lifeless in terms of portraying the story. Hardware limitation wasn't the issue back then, as FFVI is one of the greatest games storywise, beating out pretty much every FF before and after, though I still prefer FFVII.

Yea I'm trying to get into the PlayStation Era JRPG's, I haven't played to many and that's out of my own lazy ness. Although I LOVE Hoshigami Ruing Blue Earth, which I got on my DS. But I'll get into Snes+ jrpg's when the Next Gen Wii can run a psx emulator better than the current Wii can, I've got Suidoken II on my Wii but it only runs at 50 fps... 10 frams shorter than normal which buggs me to HECK

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #116 of 1,043

Quote:
Oh nice, I'd love to find some better RPGS for the Wii, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny was a disappointment... it LAGGS SO HARD in the higher level Dugeons on the Wii, thankfully RF Frontier is still epicly awesome...

Yea I'm trying to get into the PlayStation Era JRPG's, I haven't played to many and that's out of my own lazy ness. Although I LOVE Hoshigami Ruing Blue Earth, which I got on my DS. But I'll get into Snes+ jrpg's when the Next Gen Wii can run a psx emulator better than the current Wii can, I've got Suidoken II on my Wii but it only runs at 50 fps... 10 frams shorter than normal which buggs me to HECK

If Xenoblade isn't enough for the Wii, The Last Story's coming to the US in June. Looks promising.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth...I remember how an issue of EGM compared it to Final Fantasy Tactics and basically distilled their plots as being the same thing. Other than that, I don't know much else about it.

The PS1 shouldn't be that difficult to emulate. I've emulated PS1 games pretty well on a decade-old laptop before, and even the original Xbox runs them quite well. Whatever PC you're using to post on these forums shouldn't have any problem with it.

May 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #117 of 1,043
80+ hours into Tales of Graces F, and I still don't see the finish line... XD

I used to be able to kill 100 hour games in a few weeks. I've been playing this game for a month and change... :frowning2:

May 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #118 of 1,043
Quote:
80+ hours into Tales of Graces F, and I still don't see the finish line... XD
I used to be able to kill 100 hour games in a few weeks. I've been playing this game for a month and change...
frown.gif

WOW, I been thinking of picking this one up. I have enjoyed all the other Tales games. Sounds like this one is a winner too. 
Although, sometimes I can get bored with a game if it takes to long to complete. 

May 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #119 of 1,043
WOW, I been thinking of picking this one up. I have enjoyed all the other Tales games. Sounds like this one is a winner too. 
Although, sometimes I can get bored with a game if it takes to long to complete. 

You'll love this one. Best battle system in a Tales game by far. At first I didn't like it, but then I realize it's because in the beginning, you don't have enough CC points to chain lots of moves together. Later on, you start pulling off some really sick chained attacks. It's REALLY fun.

As for spending so much time, it's because I grind for so many hours (trying to master titles, etc). I'm about to go to the last dungeon before the final arc, so I'd say I'm close to done... with the exception of last batch of side quests.

As for me not seeing the finish line, it's because these side quests will probably take me weeks at the rate I'm going. XD

May 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #120 of 1,043
Quote:
You'll love this one. Best battle system in a Tales game by far. At first I didn't like it, but then I realize it's because in the beginning, you don't have enough CC points to chain lots of moves together. Later on, you start pulling off some really sick chained attacks. It's REALLY fun.
As for spending so much time, it's because I grind for so many hours (trying to master titles, etc). I'm about to go to the last dungeon before the final arc, so I'd say I'm close to done... with the exception of last batch of side quests.
As for me not seeing the finish line, it's because these side quests will probably take me weeks at the rate I'm going. XD

I think this will be the next game I pick-up. Might even give me an excuse to turn the PS3 back on....lol
I am a bit of a completionist too when it comes to RPG's. I just hate not doing something or not completely exploring a area. I have to see and do everything possible.....lol
Probably take me as long as you to complete the game by the sounds of things. 
I think Lost Odyssey was the only I gave on for good do to the length. I usually wind up going back after a break, but I could never get back into that game once I quit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back