The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Apr 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #91 of 1,043

So looking forward to this.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #92 of 1,043
I wish SRW was localized in the Western world. :frowning2:

Anyone else playing Graces F? I'm about to go to Fourier's Research lab. Damn, this game gets hard when playing on Evil mode. I'm trying to unlock Chaos mode... and it's a downright pain in the ass at times. I was comfortable playing on Hard mode.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #93 of 1,043
I recall them localizing at least one of the Original Generation titles, since they don't have the licensing issues that the rest of the games do. Kind of a shame, though, since people really buy them for all the mecha anime fanservice.

In other news, I just picked up Xenoblade today. First impressions are pretty good; hopefully, the game holds up as I play through it some more.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #94 of 1,043
I wanted to like it, I just can't get into the wild swing attack mechanics. It looks odd. XD

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #95 of 1,043
<.< Nice thread, sadly my only experince with JPRGS currently is SNES ones... played a few of the new gen ones but they were not that great...

So my Favorites are

Seiken Densetsu 3
Front Mission
Bahamut Lagoon
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Phantasia
Star Ocean [1]

Good stuff really! The fun part is fumbling through them in Japanese ;3

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #96 of 1,043

Quote:
<.< Nice thread, sadly my only experince with JPRGS currently is SNES ones... played a few of the new gen ones but they were not that great...

So my Favorites are

Seiken Densetsu 3
Front Mission
Bahamut Lagoon
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Phantasia
Star Ocean [1]

Good stuff really! The fun part is fumbling through them in Japanese ;3

You mean to tell me you haven't played Chrono Cross, the greatest game ever made?
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #97 of 1,043

Quote:
lol, it's easy to do when you get reverse side and reproduction maxed, so I figured, why not? Though even without the aid of the forged medals I think I was level 65...

HAHAHA that one day two summers ago, me getting to level 75 on FF7 before the second disk.....then the game was cake.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #98 of 1,043
I felt Chrono Cross was good to great. The meat of the story was amazing. However, it didn't pull off a lot of good characters the way Suikoden did. That, and it was too much of a departure from Chrono Trigger, which to me will forever be legendary. That's not nostalgia speaking. Chrono Trigger is just one of the best games of all time. I can play that game every year and still feel this way. Chrono Cross just couldn't quite match it.

And Mshenay, you're missing out. Lots of amazing jrpgs post SNES era.

Still playing both FFIV Collection and Tales of Graces F. FFIV is definitely more of a nostalgia trip, as I'm not in love with it like I used to be. It feels too lifeless in terms of portraying the story. Hardware limitation wasn't the issue back then, as FFVI is one of the greatest games storywise, beating out pretty much every FF before and after, though I still prefer FFVII.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #99 of 1,043

Quote:
I felt Chrono Cross was good to great. The meat of the story was amazing. However, it didn't pull off a lot of good characters the way Suikoden did. That, and it was too much of a departure from Chrono Trigger, which to me will forever be legendary. That's not nostalgia speaking. Chrono Trigger is just one of the best games of all time. I can play that game every year and still feel this way. Chrono Cross just couldn't quite match it.
And Mshenay, you're missing out. Lots of amazing jrpgs post SNES era.
Still playing both FFIV Collection and Tales of Graces F. FFIV is definitely more of a nostalgia trip, as I'm not in love with it like I used to be. It feels too lifeless in terms of portraying the story. Hardware limitation wasn't the issue back then, as FFVI is one of the greatest games storywise, beating out pretty much every FF before and after, though I still prefer FFVII.

As much as I love Chrono Trigger, and it holds a very dear place in my heart, it just falls apart after multiple replays. The fact that it's so short and has so little content really kills the replay value. I really started to see the cracks in the game after all these years.

For me, Chrono Cross did every single thing better than Chrono Trigger, and still holds up marvelously well, thanks in no small part to the huge amount of characters. Sure, a lot of them are crap, and don't have huge back stories to them, but what little there was was integrated really well.

And the writing, oh my god. It almost seems as if the game was never Japanese, it was translated and reworked so well. Even nobody characters were written wonderfully well, and fit into the whole world and mythos. Even the littlest character fleshed out the Chrono Cross universe.

And of course you can't talk about Chrono Cross without mentioning the godly music. Trigger had good music, but Cross improved on it in so many ways that nearly every track in the game is just amazing.

Ah, I'm nearly drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it. I may have to play it again.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #100 of 1,043
Funny, most of what you written is how I feel, except replacing Cross with Trigger, and vice versa. o_O

And ANY game will start losing it's shine after multiple playthroughs. Cross is a game I played twice, and I'm satisfied with just that. I have no more intention to play it again. Trigger I have played more times than I could count (lost count after I hit the double digits), and still wanna replay it. My biggest issue with Cross is that it felt nothing like Trigger. For a sequel... it was nothing like the first. It throws me off. JRPGs in a series always had some sort of consistency.

Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Tales of, Final Fantasy (up until X really), Breath of Fire, Fire Emblem, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, and many other JRPG series have a lot to connect them with the older games. Chrono Cross didn't. Save for some plot points (and admittedly integral to the story) and team attacks, the game could've been something else entirely. I wanted a true sequel to Trigger, not some game that felt like more of a spiritual successor the way Xenosaga was to Xenogears, and not REALLY related. A lot of people felt the same, as throughout the years, people have been wanting a real sequel to Trigger, and not Cross. Hell, there was a lot of distaste for Chrono Cross! I like Cross because it was a good RPG on it's own merits. On the flip side, I didn't like it because it failed as a Chrono Trigger sequel, for me personally.

If I had to rate them:

Trigger: 10/10 (easily)
Cross (8/10)

Well, my holy trinity of JRPGs is:

Suikoden II
FFVII
Chrono Trigger

Everything else comes after...

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #101 of 1,043

Quote:
I wanted to like it, I just can't get into the wild swing attack mechanics. It looks odd. XD

Xenoblade? I wouldn't really call them "wild swing attack" mechanics. While normal attacks are automated if you're in range, the real meat of the combat system lies in the Arts that every character has. Aside from doing more damage if they hit from behind or the side, they can inflict debuffs (particularly the Break -> Topple -> Daze chain), increase a target's aggro (yes, aggro is an important mechanic in this game since some characters are tanks and it's easier to make back/side attacks when the monster isn't focused on you), or so forth. In short, there's a fair bit of strategy involved once you understand how it works, moreso than "cast big spells or use big attacks whenever your party member's ATB gauge fills and hope the enemy doesn't totally massacre your party in the meantime".

And speaking of direct sequels vs. spiritual successors going by titles...I wonder why they changed the title to begin with. After all, it was originally titled "Monado: Beginning of the World" and has few direct ties to Xenosaga and Xenogears, from what I've heard. More brand recognition for a Monolith Soft work, I suppose?

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #103 of 1,043
Nameless, I forget, can that game be played with a classic controller? I just can't stand Wii's waggle controls.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #104 of 1,043

Quote:
Nameless, I forget, can that game be played with a classic controller? I just can't stand Wii's waggle controls.

Xenoblade was pretty much built with the Classic Controller in mind. It's quite telling that an European collector's edition had a special red Classic Controller Pro.

You can play it with Wiimote + Nunchuk if you don't have one, though, and it doesn't use motion controls or the IR pointer at all, so no worries about poorly-implemented waggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back