The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Jul 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #166 of 354
Dude exactly!  I just had my wife sit in front of the monitor while I played and she had the headphones on and watching.  Her comments were as follows:

"Ok this is making my stomach hurt I'm so anxious cause I know it's obviously going to scare me."

"Can your flashlight ever go out?"

"There's the first note....grab it!  Wait...why is it making that noise?"

LOUD DISTORTED NOISE

"OH MY GOD BABE WHAT IS THAT?!??"  <takes headphones off>  "I can't do this.  Seriously I can't.  Who would want to play something like this?"

It's this exact response that would get people playing left and right.  You nailed it by saying you don't need fancy graphics.  It's the simple concept of sight and sound that makes this quite the psychological thriller.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #167 of 354
It's funny how this game, and I kid you not, is far more scary than all the RE games (1-3) and Dead Space. 

I was playing again and got the 7th note, went to turn and boom there he is behind the truck! I went to turn to run and he appeared right behind me and got me. My response was as follows "Holy **** What!". This games makes me not want to play it, yet I do... How thrilling, no? I tell you this game gets your blood pumping for real and the music just fuels that.

Quote:
Dude exactly!  I just had my wife sit in front of the monitor while I played and she had the headphones on and watching.  Her comments were as follows:

"Ok this is making my stomach hurt I'm so anxious cause I know it's obviously going to scare me."

"Can your flashlight ever go out?"

"There's the first note....grab it!  Wait...why is it making that noise?"

LOUD DISTORTED NOISE

"OH MY GOD BABE WHAT IS THAT?!??"  <takes headphones off>  "I can't do this.  Seriously I can't.  Who would want to play something like this?"

It's this exact response that would get people playing left and right.  You nailed it by saying you don't need fancy graphics.  It's the simple concept of sight and sound that makes this quite the psychological thriller.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #168 of 354
Quote:
Yo,

I was just playing the game and I had zero pages. I went into the bath house and Mr Slender was off to the right of the doorway. I turned in and there he is a foot away, he got me...

This game proves you don't need fancy graphics to be scared. Now if only this would be ported tot he Xbox Arcade or Playstation Network, man people would demand more!

Silent Hill 1 Still scared me a few friends silly Playing it in the dark.  It's the mood it sets. Slender is VERY scary, Far more than Amnesia IMO even though they are frailly similar.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #169 of 354
Quote:
Silent Hill 1 Still scared me a few friends silly Playing it in the dark.  It's the mood it sets. Slender is VERY scary, Far more than Amnesia IMO even though they are frailly similar.

I agree, it's all about atmosphere in a game that sets the tone and running through fog with a siren going off every now and then keeps you on your tows, it's the waiting for the unexpected to jump out on you that makes a game scary,something that resident evil 4 and 5 never really had, it was more like playing call of duty with zombies, not a real survival horror but still worth a play,The dead rising games were quite good but not that scary, but did do a good job of recreating zombie dawn of the dead, it was the time limits that spoiled the game a bit for me, i completed chop til you drop on the wii but the pc and xbox360 were not has forgiving and i ended up giving up on them in the end..

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #170 of 354
My favourites (No order) are Amnesia obviously, and the penumbra games. Silent hill 2 and 3. Cry of Fear mod, SCP containment breach, Cryostasis,STALKER, Slender mod,  System shock 2. Fatal frame 1 and 2. 
One new game coming that everyone should check out is "Among the sleep" where you play as a baby crawling around as freaky stuff happens. Looks interesting. Also I'm annoyed Amnesia A machine for pigs was delayed to 2013 

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #171 of 354
Slender really is a great game, i didn't know what to expect when i downloaded it but i was quite surprised (in a good way)
I think what makes it work is even though it uses jumpscares it uses them effectively, Slender man isn't really scary and he doesn't jump at you or anything, he just appears randomly with a little DUUUN sound, you can look up walkthrough and playthroughs on youtube but the notes and slender man always appear in a different place depending on how you play the game and that's why it's scary, it's so unpredictable and there's no map either.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #172 of 354
There is a Silent Hill movie coming.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #173 of 354
Jul 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #176 of 354
Quote:
Anyone played SCP: Containment Breach? The only game I've ever played that keeps me nervous and can genuinely scare me.

You are the second person today to bring this game up. I must look into it.

Also anyone read the SCP Reports?

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #177 of 354
For anyone who doesn't know about it, it's basically the "weeping angels" concept from Dr. Who.

Oh, and the level is actually "randomly generated" every single time you play, as is your encounter with the "thing".

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #178 of 354
Quote:
Anyone played SCP: Containment Breach? The only game I've ever played that keeps me nervous and can genuinely scare me.

Yeah I wrote it above. It's awesome. Needs a lot of work still but the concept is really really clever and hasn't been done in a game. It can really freak you out at times but they need a creature redesign. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #179 of 354
Quote:

Also anyone read the SCP Reports?

Yeah they're really cool and you think "wait... did this actually happen?" they're very convincing. Also they have another game along with containment breach where you walk down an endless flight of stairs and strange things start happening and get worse and worse. Short and sort of boring after a few plays but it's a great exercise in tension building and atmosphere

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #180 of 354
Yo,

I've played SCP:CB before but I found Slender a lot scarier. CB is a scary game, but Slender is more unnerving. Knowing something is stalking you is scarier than the jumps cares in GB.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back