The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #331 of 354

What's the first most impressive game of all time?

I said the writing lol.  Meaning, Silent Hill 2 has the second most impressive writing of all games.  kova4a asked what was #1 and I answered.  

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #332 of 354
Anyone else extremely hyped?

There were some rumors but now it's out - Hideo Kojima teamed up with Gillermo del Toro making a Silent Hill game with the Fox engine and Norman Reedus in the lead.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #333 of 354
Extremely hyped?  Not quite.  I really don't know what to expect from this... Kojima has never done horror to my knowledge, and just because Guillermo del Toro has made some brilliant movies doesn't necessarily mean he'll make great games.  The last Silent Hill game I enjoyed was made over a decade ago.

Also, first person?  Are they taking a page out of Frictional's book?  That would be ironic, seeing as how everyone in the horror game business has taken a page out of Silent Hill's book.  I'd prefer it if this wasn't first person, since all the best horror games in the past few years have been first person.  I did get a kick out of seeing Daryl in the game.  

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #334 of 354
  Extremely hyped?  Not quite.  I really don't know what to expect from this... Kojima has never done horror to my knowledge, and just because Guillermo del Toro has made some brilliant movies doesn't necessarily mean he'll make great games.  The last Silent Hill game I enjoyed was made over a decade ago.

Also, first person?  Are they taking a page out of Frictional's book?  That would be ironic, seeing as how everyone in the horror game business has taken a page out of Silent Hill's book.  I'd prefer it if this wasn't first person, since all the best horror games in the past few years have been first person.  I did get a kick out of seeing Daryl in the game.  

Not first person, the first person part in the above video is P.T. - the playable teaser released on the PSN store and its gameplay has no relation to the upcoming game.  
Anyway, being such a huge SH fan I'm quite excited and of course hope they don't mess it up. For now at least it will look good courtesy of Fox engine and has Daryl in. Whether the story will be good is a different matter.

edit: I see that even BD has releases an article called 5 reasons to be excited for Silent Hills http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3308042/5-reasons-excited-silent-hills/

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #335 of 354
  Not first person, the first person part in the above video is P.T. - the playable teaser released on the PSN store and its gameplay has no relation to the upcoming game.  
Anyway, being such a huge SH fan I'm quite excited and of course hope they don't mess it up. For now at least it will look good courtesy of Fox engine and has Daryl in. Whether the story will be good is a different matter.

edit: I see that even BD has releases an article called 5 reasons to be excited for Silent Hills http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3308042/5-reasons-excited-silent-hills/

P.T was like silent hill 4 the rooms first person parts..that's how quite a few people guessed it was silent hill before finding out at the very end!

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #338 of 354

P.T was like silent hill 4 the rooms first person parts..that's how quite a few people guessed it was silent hill before finding out at the very end!

not to mention the "save Icon" was a symbol from silent hill. I'm super hype; someone that makes strange stories and outlandish characters teaming up with someone that makes fantastic horror monsters and sets?

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #339 of 354

not to mention the "save Icon" was a symbol from silent hill. I'm super hype; someone that makes strange stories and outlandish characters teaming up with someone that makes fantastic horror monsters and sets?

Yeah, the new Silent Hill and Bloodborne are the two upcoming games I'm most excited about. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #341 of 354
Isolation is great for atmosphere, especially for fans of the Alien films such as myself. But not so much for actual gameplay if that's what you're focusing on, as it tends to get very repetitive.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #342 of 354
Hi, on the PS3, would anyone recommend the Alien isolation game?

Also anyone used the Takstar HIFI2050  for computer gaming (or even bluray/films).

I play on PS4 but yes, I can certainly recommend it. While it is repetitve (which game is not btw) the actual gameplay is not bad af all, in fact I feel it does what it want's to do very, very well. It is very tense, great atmosphere (also sounds) and a huge attention to detail that I think I've never seen in a game before.
I am only a couple of hours into it and I might change my mind if it gets boring, but so far I've had a great time with it. Oh, and I am not a huge fan of the movies or something...

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #343 of 354
While it is repetitve (which game is not btw) 

There are games that hardly get repetitive after 100 hours due to things like open world level design, multiple gameplay styles, and branching stories, but such games aren't within the horror genre obviously.  

I haven't played Alien: Isolation yet, but the gameplay seems to be very barebones; this is fine, but it might get repetitive after a dozen hours or so.  I'm thinking of games like Amnesia and Penumbra; each one is no more than 10 hours (unless you get stuck) which seems to be the perfect length.  Plus, these games also have intriguing stories going for them (especially Penumbra) giving the player more reason to play through to the end.

I think the least repetitive horror game has to be Underhell even though it's not finished yet.  It has very divergent gameplay; a central hub filled with psychological horror elements and many randomized encounters/sequences and no combat, occasional dream sequences which also have no combat, advanced survival horror gameplay, stealth sequences, and even a tactical FPS mission in the prologue, yet it all blends together remarkably well.  You can use guns or melee weapons, or both, or neither in the stealth scenarios.  You can choose a more direct approach or look for an alternate route, loot is randomized, side quests are randomized (random NPC encounters, side quests may or may not pop up and if they do, they can appear in several different places each playthrough).  Highly innovative game and I can't wait for the rest.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #344 of 354

There are games that hardly get repetitive after 100 hours due to things like open world level design, multiple gameplay styles, and branching stories, but such games aren't within the horror genre obviously.  

I haven't played Alien: Isolation yet, but the gameplay seems to be very barebones; this is fine, but it might get repetitive after a dozen hours or so.  I'm thinking of games like Amnesia and Penumbra; each one is no more than 10 hours (unless you get stuck) which seems to be the perfect length.  Plus, these games also have intriguing stories going for them (especially Penumbra) giving the player more reason to play through to the end.

Agreed, there are a few games that actually are not very repetitive, but I feel like most games are, even if they have an open world design. A game I was thinking about - and which I found very repetitive - is GTA IV. Of course, in theory you can do a lot of stuff, but if you wanted to play the story, it came down to: Cutscene, drive, shoot, cutscene. Repeat.
Alien: Isolation has 12 to 15 hours of playtime, a bit on the lengthy side for my taste. But if you enjoy atmospheric, beautifully done games and are ok with not beeing able to do a thousand different things (like in GTA V for example) then you should go for it. Especially since in my opinion the gameplay it provides is very well tought through and you can do a lot of different things, within it´s limitations of course.

On that note: Any opinions on The Evil Within? In terms of setting, this is much more down my alley than Alien: Isolation, but I am afraid that the mechanics feel very outdated and a lot like Resident Evil 5 which I didn´t really like at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back