The Official Horror game Thread!! Lets put those headphones to good use!
Jun 29, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #317 of 354
playing DreadOut Finally, it's really good....except the first actual boss you fight it just beyond ludicrous.  a maybe 5x8 broom closet with something that can reach land speeds of well over 700MPH and you take out your camera as if time is slowing down....needless to say its insanely frustrating and is always on the offensive; running is not an option when it "enrages" so if you pick the wrong part of the room to sit and wait for it to pop up and snap a pic in...you just let it kill you. Seriously.....I get that its supposed to be spoopy and what not; but this is just idiotic, it stops being scary after the 20 something time you died because the thing pops up behind you and kills you; and there's no way to recover from it hitting you, by recover I mean move past it hitting you...once it hits you; the engine takes SO long to realize that your moving then from movement to using your camera that the things on you again annnd you're dead...enjoy the 45 mile hike back to the spawn point.

an interesting note; I have seen some discussion of my problem; where the game seems to react slow to commands and some people don't have it at all.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #318 of 354
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMXxYDJIopw[/video]

Corpse Party
[Platform: PC digital; Release: 2014] – The original Windows edition of the cult classic horror game that gained a considerable fanbase when released on the PSP® system in 2011, Corpse Party began life as an independent RPG Maker adventure title in 1996 before being greatly expanded for this 2008 iteration. Featuring more characters, more detailed interactions, darker story elements, over 5,000 lines of Japanese voice-acting from the original indie actors and dozens of shocking, gruesome endings, there’s much more to this survival horror adventure title than meets the eye. Players take control of nine main characters and several side characters who’ve been split up into groups of two or three and trapped in a run-down, otherworldly elementary school full of vengeful spirits, deadly mysteries and – of course – corpses. As they walk around examining objects and bodies in an atmospheric 2D environment, a horror tale spanning over 50 years begins to unfold, and player choices determine which of the tale’s dozens of endings is viewed, and who (if anyone) lives to see these horrifying events through to their conclusion.

So yeah, a slightly expanded edition of the original Corpse Party, with an additional chapter, original VA, expanded/different soundtrack and some scenes that were cut from the PSP remake because they probably were "too much" for consoles.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #319 of 354
Bump

2014 seems like a rather weak year when it comes to horror games.  Granted, I haven't tried The Forest yet but the footage I've seen just makes me laugh.  I'll pick it up on a sale.  I hope White Heaven and Doorways chapters 3-4 come out this year, need to get my fix in before SOMA arrives in 2015.  If you guys haven't looked into any of these games, I highly recommend doing so.  White Heaven is made by Dreampainters, who also made Anna which is another psychological horror game I strongly recommend.   

Routine and Alien: Isolation have potential though my gut tells me they'll be mediocre at best.  

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #320 of 354
I think The Forest could be good if they have the bugs worked out.  Seemed much more of a straight survival theme than horror.

Though that huge greased guy in a loin cloth was pretty scary.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #321 of 354
  Bump

2014 seems like a rather weak year when it comes to horror games.  Granted, I haven't tried The Forest yet but the footage I've seen just makes me laugh.  I'll pick it up on a sale.  I hope White Heaven and Doorways chapters 3-4 come out this year, need to get my fix in before SOMA arrives in 2015.  If you guys haven't looked into any of these games, I highly recommend doing so.  White Heaven is made by Dreampainters, who also made Anna which is another psychological horror game I strongly recommend.   

Routine and Alien: Isolation have potential though my gut tells me they'll be mediocre at best.  

Yeah, the Forest is kinda ridiculous at this stage - might be just all the birds flying in your face lol. Still in alpha, so I won't judge it although I'm quite disappointed and I was so hyped. Otherwise, yeah, so far it's a bit weak year for horror - hopefully games like the Evil Within and Alien Isolation will fix that. Also Frozen State is in early alpha and lacks the funds to properly fulfill its ambitions after its kickstarter campaign failed but has tons of potential and I'm hoping more people will pick it up.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #322 of 354
I lost all hope for The Evil Within; it looks too linear and predictable, and too much like Resident Evil 4 or a third person Outlast.  

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #323 of 354
  I lost all hope for The Evil Within; it looks too linear and predictable, and too much like Resident Evil 4 or a third person Outlast.  

Nah, can't fault it for being like RE4 given that RE4 is a spectacular survival horror at its best and in my personal top 10 and not some random game like RE5, let alone RE6

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #324 of 354
  Nah, can't fault it for being like RE4 given that RE4 is a spectacular survival horror at its best and in my personal top 10 and not some random game like RE5, let alone RE6

I found RE4 to be a very lackluster survival horror game.  It was Crapcom's first attempt to dumb down or "streamline" the franchise so that less experienced gamers could play it.  It's too much of a shooter, though RE5 and RE6 take this to a whole different level and can't even be called survival horror at all.  

The atmosphere of RE4 was very bland to me; very linear and even if you do go out of your way to explore, all you're going to find is ammunition or maybe health items... but especially ammunition!  Can't have you running out of ammo in a survival horror game, now can we?  The survival aspects are very limited compared to something like Metro, Fallout: New Vegas, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Underhell, simply consisting of manual healing.  You have an unlimited, automatically toggled flashlight for the two brief dark parts of the game.  The main gameplay mechanic is shooting, like Gears of War.  One of the major enemies of the game is a very large man with a minigun.  The horror aspect is just absent from the game.  The climax of RE4 is a large battle sequence that's basically a war zone.  Not quite survival horror.  

- Edit: The paragraph above also applies to the Dead Space trilogy.  Needless to say I'm not a fan lol. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #325 of 354

I found RE4 to be a very lackluster survival horror game.  It was Crapcom's first attempt to dumb down or "streamline" the franchise so that less experienced gamers could play it.  It's too much of a shooter, though RE5 and RE6 take this to a whole different level and can't even be called survival horror at all.  

The atmosphere of RE4 was very bland to me; very linear and even if you do go out of your way to explore, all you're going to find is ammunition or maybe health items... but especially ammunition!  Can't have you running out of ammo in a survival horror game, now can we?  The survival aspects are very limited compared to something like Metro, Fallout: New Vegas, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Underhell, simply consisting of manual healing.  You have an unlimited, automatically toggled flashlight for the two brief dark parts of the game.  The main gameplay mechanic is shooting, like Gears of War.  One of the major enemies of the game is a very large man with a minigun.  The horror aspect is just absent from the game.  The climax of RE4 is a large battle sequence that's basically a war zone.  Not quite survival horror.  

- Edit: The paragraph above also applies to the Dead Space trilogy.  Needless to say I'm not a fan lol. 

Well, depends on your criteria for survival horror. While my top pick will be Silent Hill, which is my most favorite franchise ever and games like Shattered Memories are way more survival horror according to most people I just can't say I don't love RE4 coz I do. Might not be comparable to SH1, 2 and 3 but it's still a great survival horror for me

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #326 of 354
  Well, depends on your criteria for survival horror. While my top pick will be Silent Hill, which is my most favorite franchise ever and games like Shattered Memories are way more survival horror according to most people I just can't say I don't love RE4 coz I do. Might not be comparable to SH1, 2 and 3 but it's still a great survival horror for me

Silent Hill 1-3 are pretty good survival horror games but I generally think of them as psychological horror first.  But don't get me wrong, they succeed in both areas.  Especially Silent Hill 2... from a writing standpoint, it's the second most impressive game of all time.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #327 of 354

Silent Hill 1-3 are pretty good survival horror games but I generally think of them as psychological horror first.  But don't get me wrong, they succeed in both areas.  Especially Silent Hill 2... from a writing standpoint, it's the second most impressive game of all time.

Yeah, SH2 is probably my most favorite game ever. I love a ton of games but SH2 is just spectacular. Now I'm kinda interested which one is the most impressive writing-wise game for you? I have played a lot of games through the years and personally can't say coz I love a lot of games' stories even if I didn't like the gameplay as much, so I can't say with your confidence - this is the first or second best game from writing standpoint. Probably something like the first Bioshock . Hell, even the mediocre gameplay-wise Spec Ops: The Line impressed me a lot, so I personally can't say with certainty coz I've played thousand of games though the years and have been impressed more than once.

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #328 of 354
  Yeah, SH2 is probably my most favorite game ever. I love a ton of games but SH2 is just spectacular. Now I'm kinda interested which one is the most impressive writing-wise game for you? I have played a lot of games through the years and personally can't say coz I love a lot of games' stories even if I didn't like the gameplay as much, so I can't say with your confidence - this is the first or second best game from writing standpoint. Probably something like the first Bioshock . Hell, even the mediocre gameplay-wise Spec Ops: The Line impressed me a lot, so I personally can't say with certainty coz I've played thousand of games though the years and have been impressed more than once.

Planescape: Torment is number one, both this and Silent Hill 2 are so far above every other game in terms of writing.  It isn't a horror game though, Silent Hill 2 definitely has the best writing in its genre.  Some of the other very well written horror games I've found are:

- Silent Hill 1 and 3, but you knew that already
- Penumbra franchise (Overture and Black Plague, Requiem isn't needed)
- Anna: Extended Edition 
- And to a lesser extent, Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #329 of 354

Planescape: Torment is number one, both this and Silent Hill 2 are so far above every other game in terms of writing.  It isn't a horror game though, Silent Hill 2 definitely has the best writing in its genre.  Some of the other very well written horror games I've found are:

- Silent Hill 1 and 3, but you knew that already
- Penumbra franchise (Overture and Black Plague, Requiem isn't needed)
- Anna: Extended Edition 
- And to a lesser extent, Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Well, if the genre doesn't matter than it's even harder. First of all, there'll be a lot of people arguing whether Planescape Torment is better than Baldur's Gate and also whether the story in its entirety matters or the ending plays a bigger part coz there are always games like Shadow of the Colossus, which in my book are kinda up there with the Bioshock's "Would you kindly"

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #330 of 354

What's the first most impressive game of all time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back