The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jul 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,926 of 3,640
Quote:
325ers, I have an opportunity to purchase a nice pair of Goldie's for 185. I have the MS1s as the only reference for grado-esque sound and I dig those. Is this a good price?

Yes that is quite a good price, I paid 195 for mine and I have seen them go for over 200 fairly often. For all the bashing people do on these phones they seem to be very popular to the general public at least.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #2,927 of 3,640
The 325 does get bashed a lot.....it is definitely a love/hate relationship........I just adored mine , when I had them.....IMHO it is one of the best cans ever for the price.

I really want to find a second hand pair of PS500, but I am not having much luck.....someday maybe I will get lucky.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #2,930 of 3,640
Auction
The 325 does get bashed a lot.....it is definitely a love/hate relationship........I just adored mine , when I had them.....IMHO it is one of the best cans ever for the price.

I really want to find a second hand pair of PS500, but I am not having much luck.....someday maybe I will get lucky.

Auction sites usually have some pairs for sale, the price seems to vary a lot with second hand grados, sometimes you can get very good deals, I saw a new pair of ps500's go for £425 once.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,931 of 3,640
Would you say it's worth the price difference?

it's hard to say. I don't know if it's just me, but the difference between the two are really miniscule. We are splitting hairs at this point, but that is what head-fi is all about. generally we are talking about a less than 10% difference. If you prefer a slightly brighter sound then the 325is will be better for you. But the PS500 is not shy in the treble either. I had to listen very very carefully to hear a difference, and even then it's not noticabel on all recordings. It could be that the music I listen to doesn't contain a lot of detail above 5 kHz to begin with and makes both phones sound very similar. Having said that, my wife tried the PS500 and loved them right away. Her first comment was "the are really warm and smooth". She doesn't listen to a lot of music with headphones but she said she would choose the PS500 over all the other Grados, which she uses every so often. I have spent a few days going back and forth between the 80i, 225i, 325is and PS500. They are all very very similar. If I was not serious about listening to music I would say none warrant the extra price over the 80i. Unfotunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the only way to know is to buy both and then sell or return the one that doesn't suit you.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,932 of 3,640
Quote:
Quote:
Would you say it's worth the price difference?

it's hard to say. I don't know if it's just me, but the difference between the two are really miniscule. We are splitting hairs at this point, but that is what head-fi is all about. generally we are talking about a less than 10% difference. If you prefer a slightly brighter sound then the 325is will be better for you. But the PS500 is not shy in the treble either. I had to listen very very carefully to hear a difference, and even then it's not noticabel on all recordings. It could be that the music I listen to doesn't contain a lot of detail above 5 kHz to begin with and makes both phones sound very similar. Having said that, my wife tried the PS500 and loved them right away. Her first comment was "the are really warm and smooth". She doesn't listen to a lot of music with headphones but she said she would choose the PS500 over all the other Grados, which she uses every so often. I have spent a few days going back and forth between the 80i, 225i, 325is and PS500. They are all very very similar. If I was not serious about listening to music I would say none warrant the extra price over the 80i. Unfotunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the only way to know is to buy both and then sell or return the one that doesn't suit you.

+1

I had both for ten months.  What killed the deal for me on the 500 was the way it made classical piano bass sound too plummy.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,934 of 3,640
Quote:

it's hard to say. I don't know if it's just me, but the difference between the two are really miniscule. We are splitting hairs at this point, but that is what head-fi is all about. generally we are talking about a less than 10% difference. If you prefer a slightly brighter sound then the 325is will be better for you. But the PS500 is not shy in the treble either. I had to listen very very carefully to hear a difference, and even then it's not noticabel on all recordings. It could be that the music I listen to doesn't contain a lot of detail above 5 kHz to begin with and makes both phones sound very similar.Having said that, my wife tried the PS500 and loved them right away. Her first comment was "the are really warm and smooth". She doesn't listen to a lot of music with headphones but she said she would choose the PS500 over all the other Grados, which she uses every so often. I have spent a few days going back and forth between the 80i, 225i, 325is and PS500. They are all very very similar. If I was not serious about listening to music I would say none warrant the extra price over the 80i. Unfotunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the only way to know is to buy both and then sell or return the one that doesn't suit you.

I'm surprised that you didn't find a bigger difference between the SR325is and the PS500, because i think that they represent the two extremes in the Grado line.

I agree with you regarding the SR80i, i used to think that they were very good for they're price, but i recently tryed swapping the comies for the L-cush on mine, and was floored by the amount of detail i was hearing, now i understand what all the fuss is about regarding the L-cush with the SR80i.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #2,935 of 3,640
I used to be a grado fanatic but started focusing more on circum-aural phones. I brought out my gold 325i the other day and listened to it through my O2. An amazing combination. Love the way the bass notes are physically transmitted to your ears. Very punchy and realistic.

Here are some older pics of my slightly modified 325i. The correct pad combination for grados is paramount for sq. I personally use bowls with a small pad underneath. A px100 or ksc75 pad work well. Solves all comfort issues and treble brightness issues. Cheers!

grado1-1.jpg

grado2-1.jpg

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,936 of 3,640
I'm surprised that you didn't find a bigger difference between the SR325is and the PS500, because i think that they represent the two extremes in the Grado line.

I agree with you regarding the SR80i, i used to think that they were very good for they're price, but i recently tryed swapping the comies for the L-cush on mine, and was floored by the amount of detail i was hearing, now i understand what all the fuss is about regarding the L-cush with the SR80i.

Well i just received a pair of early semi-vintage RS1s. And the difference between them and the rest of my grados (80i, 225i, 325is, PS500) was A LOT more obvious. The creamy mids of the RS1 stood out instantly, as did the superior presentation. Definitely closer to the SR series than the PS sound ssignature. basically after about 4 hours of listening my initial impression is that the RS1 is all the good from the SR series without any of the bad.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2,937 of 3,640
You guys are killing me with all this talk about the RS1's. I'm looking for a combo of my 80's and my 325's in one headphone, and I'm really, really, really tempted to purchase the RS1i's (like right now, from Amazon), but I'm really skeptical about spending so much money on a pair of headphones, and also said that I never would, and it will just kill me if my expectations are let down.
I really don't know what to do!!!

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,938 of 3,640
Quote:
You guys are killing me with all this talk about the RS1's. I'm looking for a combo of my 80's and my 325's in one headphone, and I'm really, really, really tempted to purchase the RS1i's (like right now, from Amazon), but I'm really skeptical about spending so much money on a pair of headphones, and also said that I never would, and it will just kill me if my expectations are let down.

Well, I've been in your position, I got the RS1i while owning the MS2i... RS1i had to go. Found it hard to justify price.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,939 of 3,640

I don't think buying new is worth the price. I paid $480 (CAD) shipped for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back