The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Sep 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2,581 of 3,640
Quote:
Also,

I'm not sure about this neither : "In early 2009, Grado Discontinued The gold 325i" as not all Sr325i are Gold. I'm pretty sure Gold one were only made during 2003 for the 50th anniversary. So discontinued in 2004 as Gold, but still made in silver brushed  .

And also (and after that i stop being annoying, i promise), some people seems to believed that Sr325i and Sr325is are the same. But they aren't. Sr325is are improved Sr325i, with new cable, driver and air chamber.

I just read this - can anyone confirm?\

Well I guess I'll found out soon enough and be comparing with Q701, D2000 with E17DAC. Can think of any particular tracks - any suggestions on the top of your head? I'll head on over to youtube to check them out. Finally, I get to know what I the fuss is about regarding grados. Maybe I'll try to keep them in the family for like 10 years or more. A...it big part of the experience is the recorded sound. WishI had a good collection but I don't.

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #2,582 of 3,640
Quote:

Chris, let's just say you're lucky I can remember that far back...!

First amp - briefly - was a Yamaha A-1 integrated. Incredibly sweet-sounding (also incredibly-subjective verbiage here, but please bear with me), but the damned thing had a bad habit of tripping its overload circuits for whatever reason. Moved on later to an Apt Holman (preamp...yes, designed by the same Thomas Holman who later became the "T" and "H" in THX), and Apt 1 (power) combo. almost as sweet as the Yamaha, but a hell of a lot more reliable. I was once led to believe that electrets, like electrostatics, needed humongous watts to come anywhere near their potential, but I strongly feel it's a matter of quality first, followed by a good amperage swing, which is entirely different from wattage, which in the worst cases can amount to so many empty calories.. (To reluctantly dive into an automotive analogy, it's like talking horsepower all day without mentioning torque curves.)

The beauty of playing with audio components right now is that there's not only interesting new stuff around, but a lot of good old stuff you can buy for the proverbial pennies on the dollar, if you know where to look. (I was going to suggest seeking out the "high-end" but technologically-incorrect-for-the-time brands like Pioneer's Series 20, but it appears the Vintage-Audio Posse has already discovered it, and jacked prices appropriately skyward.) There are lots of great amplification options out there for those signets, and you need not go broke in the process of trying them out.

- Barrett

Barrett,
I wonder if TK-33s loose their charge over time? Mine sound rather bland, not too dynamic, but they are over 30 years old, so I'll cut them some slack. And I paid next to nothing for them (I traded a 30 year old pair of AKG K-241s for them).
I suspect the Yamaha did not like driving the capacitive load of the TK-33s.
But the Apt 1 had no problem dring a capacitive load.

Thanks for the comments!
Chris

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #2,583 of 3,640
Quote:

I just read this - can anyone confirm?\

Hi, if i may, i confirm what i said. Also, i confirm that the information page of this "official" fan page is wrong on some points.
First of them : it is not "official". But it appears that he guy who created this topic has not been connected for some months now.

By the way, i "register" my Sr 325 is #12246.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,584 of 3,640
Quote:

Hi, if i may, i confirm what i said. Also, i confirm that the information page of this "official" fan page is wrong on some points.
First of them : it is not "official". But it appears that he guy who created this topic has not been connected for some months now.

By the way, i "register" my Sr 325 is #12246.

Thank you! Well, these definitely have lots of bass and on the warmer side - this is in contrast to many reviews of the 325 (original perhaps?) Anyway, I appreciate the clarification. My 325is is in the 127xx range. I have to check again later.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,585 of 3,640
I have a pair of gold 325s that I acquired second hand.  I also find them to have plenty of bass (tight and punchy, not boomy) and to be a bit on the warm side.  I had a pair of RS-2s in the past that I just never clicked with, so I sold those.  But I love my 125s and 325s.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,586 of 3,640
Barrett,
I wonder if TK-33s loose their charge over time? Mine sound rather bland, not too dynamic, but they are over 30 years old, so I'll cut them some slack. And I paid next to nothing for them (I traded a 30 year old pair of AKG K-241s for them).
I suspect the Yamaha did not like driving the capacitive load of the TK-33s.
But the Apt 1 had no problem dring a capacitive load.

Thanks for the comments!
Chris

Chris: I'm not entirely savvy with the facts on electret drivers' longevity, although transducers of nearly every stripe experience changes and/or deterioration over a good stretch of time. My memory of the '33s is of a smooth but fairly fast and snappy sound, anything *but* dull.

About that Yamaha: the problem wasn't the '33s: that amp shut down with just about anything connected to the outputs. It threw fits with a pair of Allison: Five speakers that were a pushover for any other amp (or receiver, for that matter) to drive. None of the techs I took it to at the time (early-mid 80s) could get to the bottom of the problem. That A-1 got replaced with the Apt Holman/Apt 1 combo, which handled everything well for years.

- Barrett

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #2,587 of 3,640
I've read a lot good things about the G-Cush pads. Since I wear glasses most of the time, are these still a good option for comfort?   And what is the consensus on sonic changes when using G-Cush on 325is? I have a feeling that I'm going to go down that long road pimping my grados lol. No.... no hello kitty stickers on my Denons, but seriously like to explore recabing options and perhaps different kind of headband. I don't have the experience or capability nor tolerance to risk to do much more than that. What's interesting about these is there a whole other dimension to getting satisfaction from grados. I'll search the forums. ANy good shortcuts or threads to one that can help me get started?  Thanks!

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,588 of 3,640

Had these for a while and picked them up from Sounds Unique, a somewhat local audio store.

Starting to not like these as they hurt my ears. The sound quality is just ok, maybe it's because I've been primarily listening to electronica, rock, trance, and techno.

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,589 of 3,640
Everyone has their own opinion on this but I think the g-cush pads make these headphones sound rubbish. They change the whole balance of the sound and make them sound like a cheap headphone. But yeah they're really comfortable.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #2,590 of 3,640
CreativeCthulu writ:

"I explained it to a friend last night as 'The 701s are an electron microscope in a bio lab somewhere and the 325s are a good set of binoculars looking into a hot girls' bedroom across the street'."

Not entirely certain about the absolute efficacy of that analogy...but I like it anyway. :wink:

- Barrett

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,591 of 3,640
Quote:
CreativeCthulu writ:
"I explained it to a friend last night as 'The 701s are an electron microscope in a bio lab somewhere and the 325s are a good set of binoculars looking into a hot girls' bedroom across the street'."
Not entirely certain about the absolute efficacy of that analogy...but I like it anyway. :wink:
- Barrett

I'm glad to hear that!
I'm (among other weirdness) an author, so I try to have fun wherever I can.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2,592 of 3,640
Quote:
Everyone has their own opinion on this but I think the g-cush pads make these headphones sound rubbish. They change the whole balance of the sound and make them sound like a cheap headphone. But yeah they're really comfortable.

I'll wait then. I'm in no big hurry and recently discovered that if I the cups a bit higher on my ear, it actually feels better without compromising SQ.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,593 of 3,640
325 is #9778 signing in! I've been lurking around Head-fi for a little while now, and upon finding this thread I thought it was time to say hello. My Grados are my first "nice" headphone, and a big improvement over what I was using before (stock iPhone buds, and Audio-Technica ATH-M50). I'm hoping to make a bit of a hobby out of this, so I've been trying to learn about amps and dacs, primarily portable solutions.

While these phones seem to have a reputation for harsh highs, I don't find they bother me at all. After stretching the headband a bit I can wear them comfortably for a long time. It was an issue for me at first, especially as an eyeglass wearer.

These also have a strong reputation for clarity and detail, though in my own case I'd like to improve those very areas. I'm just listening off my iPhone right now, so I'm hoping that by adding an amp and maybe a dac that I can achieve more detail, clarity, and separation. The only other quality headphones I've listened to are a friend's Focal Spirit One, which don't have the same body and warmth as my Grados, but they do deliver more of the above criteria when driven from my iPhone. I've done a lot of reading, and I'm most curious about the Continental v2, RSA Predator, RSA Mustang, and iBasso D12 (the latter just because it is so full-featured in terms of connectivity). Has anybody used any of these amps with the 325is?

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #2,594 of 3,640
The G-Cush on the 325's is a HUGE improvement. Helps the bass and improves the soundstage slightly. It also gives just an over all better sound and is much more comfy. I couldn't even tell you where my stock pads are anymore since I haven't used them in 2 years. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2,595 of 3,640
Quote:
The G-Cush on the 325's is a HUGE improvement. Helps the bass and improves the soundstage slightly. It also gives just an over all better sound and is much more comfy. I couldn't even tell you where my stock pads are anymore since I haven't used them in 2 years. 

Finally, someone who loves the G-Cush on their 325is as much as I do.

Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back