The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jul 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2,551 of 3,640
Hey all, I'm new to the audiophile world. I just received my first pair of cans (gold SR325i, S/N: 1629) through Ebay and they are fantastic (I can practically hear the plucking of string instruments). According to the seller, they have never been used. Do any of you have thoughts on what kind of amp should be purchased? I would prefer if it's something affordable. Also, do you guys recommend getting Grado's circumaural pads? Any advice given is much appreciated.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2,552 of 3,640
Right now I'm using the Fiio E6 amp which is $20 on Amazon and gets great reviews on there.  I love the amp and will likely move up to the Electric Avenues PA2V2 amp.  Here is the link.  http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html.  As far as the G-Cush foam pads go I have read they increase the soundstage but sacrifice a little of the bass and up front "bright" sound.  I'll stick with my L-Cush for now unless I can demo some G-Cush at a dealer soon.  Which headphone did you previously have?  I had the SR-80.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,553 of 3,640
Very cool. Thanks! I might go for the Filo. Yeah, let me know how the G-Crush's sound. The problem with these cans is the comfort; after a couple of hours my ear is in slight pain. My job requires me to stay at a computer, so I have several hour sessions ahead of me. My previous headphones was a Shure SE115 (in-ear). One bud did not work which prompted me to join the audiophile world. A good decision so far. This is my first pair of over-the-ear headphones. Thank you for your input!

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2,554 of 3,640
Quote:
Very cool. Thanks! I might go for the Filo. Yeah, let me know how the G-Crush's sound. The problem with these cans is the comfort; after a couple of hours my ear is in slight pain. My job requires me to stay at a computer, so I have several hour sessions ahead of me. My previous headphones was a Shure SE115 (in-ear). One bud did not work which prompted me to join the audiophile world. A good decision so far. This is my first pair of over-the-ear headphones. Thank you for your input!

Grados take a little while to get used to but the pain subsides, soon enough they won't be painful at all. A trick with the L-Cush is to rinse them thoroughly under a tap with a bit of fabric softener, let them dry out and they will be a tad softer.

And since this is your second post and nobody did this yet; Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2,556 of 3,640
Quote:
Hey all, I'm new to the audiophile world. I just received my first pair of cans (gold SR325i, S/N: 1629) through Ebay and they are fantastic (I can practically hear the plucking of string instruments). According to the seller, they have never been used. Do any of you have thoughts on what kind of amp should be purchased? I would prefer if it's something affordable. Also, do you guys recommend getting Grado's circumaural pads? Any advice given is much appreciated.

Congrads! You're really going to enjoy the Gold 325i's...I have. 

I bought mine brand new from HeadRoom and they have just over 400 hours on them but money is getting tight and I think I'll be selling them soon...its sad but I'm sure someone else will get a lot of enjoyment out of them. 
Best of luck!

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #2,558 of 3,640
+1

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2,559 of 3,640
Another happy owner checking in... long live the 325i!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2,560 of 3,640
Hi,

I've create an account on head-fi to let you know that it appear that Grado did not reset #serial.

Moreover, some Sr325i or even Sr325 (thank to the fact that cups are easy to replaced) are sold on the internet as Sr325is.

So if you have a small #serial and you think you have a Sr325is you might be on for a surprise.

I thought it could be a good information, so i decided to get in this forum.

Ps : English is not my first language as you may have noticed it.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,561 of 3,640
Quote:
Hi,

I've create an account on head-fi to let you know that it appear that Grado did not reset #serial.

Moreover, some Sr325i or even Sr325 (thank to the fact that cups are easy to replaced) are sold on the internet as Sr325is.

So if you have a small #serial and you think you have a Sr325is you might be on for a surprise.

I thought it could be a good information, so i decided to get in this forum.

Ps : English is not my first language as you may have noticed it.

I don't know anything about you.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,562 of 3,640
check out the sock mod i wrote about a few pages back. use a cheap sock (dollar store) nylon, it will cover the cups, and ease your pain.a thicker sock will feel nicer, but bc the sock contains the sound, bass will be heavy. a thinner sock will add just enough extra bass. imo it sounds better, as it creates a slight seal around the pads 

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2,563 of 3,640
Quote:
I don't know anything about you.

What do you want to know about me ? ^^

I read on the introduction page that : "In early 2009, Grado Discontinued The gold 325i and instead released a headphone called 325is.
They also reset the serial #'s to 0."

I thought it would be nice from me to let you know that it appears to be wrong.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,564 of 3,640
Also,

I'm not sure about this neither : "In early 2009, Grado Discontinued The gold 325i" as not all Sr325i are Gold. I'm pretty sure Gold one were only made during 2003 for the 50th anniversary. So discontinued in 2004 as Gold, but still made in silver brushed  .

And also (and after that i stop being annoying, i promise), some people seems to believed that Sr325i and Sr325is are the same. But they aren't. Sr325is are improved Sr325i, with new cable, driver and air chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back