The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #2,327 of 3,640
I couldn't sleep last evening (and, it looks like I can't sleep again now in the middle of the night).  However, I used my SR325i Grados to watch the 2nd disc of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 last evening.  Normally, I've always just utilized my speakers and subwoofers for such listening.  It was actually peaceful - and entertaining to listen to this concert on the headphones as I watched it.  While it was recorded live, the sound is actually pretty good.  The Grados play this concert at a very "balanced" level which is what made it so enjoyable.  Now, I'll have to go back and re-watch disc one the same way.

May 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #2,328 of 3,640

Quote:

Should be an interesting test - to see where the results end up.  Also, another "mod" that we've been working with is purchasing the 1/8" shaft collars and installing them on the rods of our Grados.  The shaft collars have a set screw that you adjust with an allen wrench.  One is placed on each side above the "L" or "R" block and another on each side below the respective blocks.  This prevents the the Grados from moving "out of adjustment" as they can tend to do over time.  These collars hold things right in place and your Grados are set to the precise adjusted level for listening each time you put them on.

The one issue I had with the 325s would be the "L" and "R" blocks splitting and falling apart.  Titanium screws are holding them together as of now.

May 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2,329 of 3,640

Quote:
The one issue I had with the 325s would be the "L" and "R" blocks splitting and falling apart.  Titanium screws are holding them together as of now.

Wow, I think this is about the first time I've heard of those plastic pieces splitting apart.  3 pair of Grados in my house and all of them are solid when it comes to the "L" and "R" blocks.

May 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2,331 of 3,640
I am joining the club, very satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

For everyone that appreciate akg k702 sound and are not contaminated with piercing highs and no bass talk should have this phone. They do complement each other nicely.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2,332 of 3,640
Count me in.  #7547

My first Grados.  Got the 325is to compliment my ATH-M50's.  I think I've now replaced them!

I was pretty nervous buying them, as I've read about the 325 line being overly bright and the most uncomfortable of the Grado line.  Fortunately, neither is the case for me.  Out of the box, they sounded very distant.  I felt like I needed to turn up the volume more and more to get a satisfying sound.  But after a 2-3 hours they started sounding much better.  I'm at about 7 hours now and I'm in love.  I've read it before here:  There's just something about the guitar sound with these things.  Love the detail of the 325is as well.  The 325is is bass shy but I'm willing to sacrifice that, given the other advantages.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2,333 of 3,640

Quote:
Count me in.  #7547

My first Grados.  Got the 325is to compliment my ATH-M50's.  I think I've now replaced them!

I was pretty nervous buying them, as I've read about the 325 line being overly bright and the most uncomfortable of the Grado line.  Fortunately, neither is the case for me.  Out of the box, they sounded very distant.  I felt like I needed to turn up the volume more and more to get a satisfying sound.  But after a 2-3 hours they started sounding much better.  I'm at about 7 hours now and I'm in love.  I've read it before here:  There's just something about the guitar sound with these things.  Love the detail of the 325is as well.  The 325is is bass shy but I'm willing to sacrifice that, given the other advantages.

i had the reverse situation. i bought my M50s to compliment my 325is. I tried carting around the 325is in a plucked foam Pelican case (fits perfectly) and works well for plane rides, long trips etc., but not for everyday commuting -- a bit bulky and heavy (3lbs).

Sound wise, the 325is win hands down, the M50s are good, sound isolating, have a much different more bassier enveloped sound, even though they're relatively cost effective, portable, they're still over-hyped.

But the M50s excel for music where the 325is sound "hot" and sibilant... i'm sure there are other headphones that handle music with these tendencies better, but for now the M50s do the trick. i'm currently considering a higher-end open headphone, maybe the HD650s to compliment the M50s and the 325is even further. Something different with more sound stage.. recommendations anyone?

Anyhow, enjoy the 325is TexasBuck, I also took a gamble in buying these without hearing them (after owning a pair of SR80s for 4 years) and i'd say the gamble paid off in spades... acoustic guitar, distorted guitar, bass guitars, drums they all sound amazing on the 325is!

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2,334 of 3,640

Quote:

But the M50s excel for music where the 325is sound "hot" and sibilant... i'm sure there are other headphones that handle music with these tendencies better, but for now the M50s do the trick. i'm currently considering a higher-end open headphone, maybe the HD650s to compliment the M50s and the 325is even further. Something different with more sound stage.. recommendations anyone?  
Anyhow, enjoy the 325is TexasBuck, I also took a gamble in buying these without hearing them (after owning a pair of SR80s for 4 years) and i'd say the gamble paid off in spades... acoustic guitar, distorted guitar, bass guitars, drums they all sound amazing on the 325is!

I listen to exclusively rock so the 325is is right in my sweet-spot music wise.  I felt like the guitars and vocals were somewhat buried on the M50's.  This was even more noticeable during more complex parts or heavier music.  The 325is is faster and more detailed to me.  I've thought about trying out the HD650 or HD600 next.  However, the Shure 940 thread has perked my interest lately. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2,336 of 3,640

Quote:
Just breaking in a pair of SR-325is now. Chromes, #5384. Very engaged with them so far.

Breaking in a new pair of SR325's is one of the best things to be doing in the whole world 
normal_smile .gif

What source and amplifier are you using with your new headphones?

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2,337 of 3,640
#7079 Here hello!

Been listening to SR325is for couple of hours now and they are everything I hoped for. Great alternative for my K-701, and a step up from my MS-1i's and now it's time to get rid of my Denon AH-D2000.
Got Audio GD Dac-19 DSP for source and Audio GD Fun with OPA Moon for amp. Highly recommend these headphones.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #2,339 of 3,640
<cheap plug>

If anyone is looking for a pair of Grado SR-325i "Goldies" in quite good condition - with a new cable and drivers just installed by Grado, I have a pair for sale in the F/S section: $220 + shipping.

</cheap plug>

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #2,340 of 3,640
just ordered my pair, just gathering all the mod information i can get my hands on.

does anybody know if there is a walkthrough for the mod in the first few pictures of this thread where the owner has removed the textured black ring with the writing on? not the middle button but the bit on the main housing "the prestige serise" grado lab's ect.

stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back