The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #2,312 of 3,640
Just bought Goldies from another Head-fi'er and I'm waiting on an Arrow amp (3g). Can anyone speak to this pairing of headphone/amp?

May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #2,313 of 3,640

Quote:

Grado sr325 on Craigslist. Does anyone live in Milwaukee, here is the deal of the century, http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/2351318790.html  I wish I could get them,  I would even be willing to pay $75.

I actually texted the seller of these Grado SR325s on Saturday morning.  I received a text back later Saturday afternoon.  I basically told him I lived in Virginia and would offer him $100 if he were to ship them to me in VA.  He indicated he would have sold them to me ... given the distance, etc., but he had just sold them on Friday, but forgot to pull down the ad.  I think these Grados were worth $100.  Apply $20 for new bowl pads and  you'd be set with some great headphones that you still paid less for than a pair of new SR-125i headphones.

May 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #2,314 of 3,640
New 325i owner here, serial # 7104. The headphones just came in, and I'm sitting here glaring at the unopened box. Cant try them out until I leave work, and the suspense is killing me. Looking forward to comparing to my 225 & 125is.

May 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2,315 of 3,640
I just received my SR325i "Goldies" back from Grado 2 days ago.  New drivers were installed as well as a new cable.  $45 for all of that work to be performed - and they covered the UPS shipping to get them back to me.  Grado Rocks !

May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2,316 of 3,640
So I could send my Golds in for new drivers, also? Bought them off the forum here and received them today...do I need to have a warranty or anything special to have that done? How long did it take?

May 7, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #2,317 of 3,640

Quote:
So I could send my Golds in for new drivers, also? Bought them off the forum here and received them today...do I need to have a warranty or anything special to have that done? How long did it take?

Actually, I had an issue where one of the drivers was not putting out the same level of volume as the other one. Also, my cord had a few twists in it - which I did reverse the tangles on.  However, in my enclosed note for Grado, I asked for the drivers to be replaced completely (because I didn't want one new driver and my existing driver) as well as the cable due to previous twisting in it.  The Grado SR325i drivers are matched more closely (in dB) than the other SR series drivers.  

No warranty was required.  This was strictly "out of warranty" work that Grado provided.  Grado took 2 weeks to perform the work - just exactly as promised.  Add a few more days for shipping each way to that time-frame and you're at nearly 3 weeks.

Grado is great to work with.  Most other companies would push you away if your product was out of warranty.  However, Grado charges just a nominal fee (as I've described) to repair the headphones and get them back up and operating properly.  I think they have so much pride, they'd hate to see a dead pair of their headphones not being used, so they offer such a service.

May 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2,318 of 3,640
So I went to a hifi audio store in my area that carries Grado headphones (only headphones they stock) and auditioned the RS-2i's, and needless to say, unfortunately I think my Goldies are going to have to go up for sale here soon. I walked out with the RS-2i's, and will be doing some A/Bing tonight.

May 8, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #2,319 of 3,640

Quote:
So I went to a hifi audio store in my area that carries Grado headphones (only headphones they stock) and auditioned the RS-2i's, and needless to say, unfortunately I think my Goldies are going to have to go up for sale here soon. I walked out with the RS-2i's, and will be doing some A/Bing tonight.

The RS-2 is a great headphone too. It has a wooden sound and the SR325 has its edgy, punchy more metallic sound. Two different tastes. I like both of them very much but I do not think the RS-2 is a replacement for the SR325 since they can not really be compared. I guess it depends on the music and which mood you are in. They both offer fantastic musicality and pleasurable listening. Hope you enjoy them and that deciding which you want to keep won't fry your mind 
normal_smile .gif

May 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2,320 of 3,640

Quote:
The RS-2 is a great headphone too. It has a wooden sound and the SR325 has its edgy, punchy more metallic sound. Two different tastes. I like both of them very much but I do not think the RS-2 is a replacement for the SR325 since they can not really be compared. I guess it depends on the music and which mood you are in. They both offer fantastic musicality and pleasurable listening. Hope you enjoy them and that deciding which you want to keep won't fry your mind 
normal_smile%20.gif

Your summary between the two models seems spot on.  That is essentially the reason why some of us are so heavily in to modifying the Grado headphones.  We want to carry out the modifications to hopefully change a few of the characteristics of some fine headphones and turn them into great headphones.  In regards to the metallic sound of the SR325, I'm current waiting on some wooden "liners" that would get inserted into the cavity of the cup - and, potentially change the sound - especially in the bass areas.  Though, it will probably be a few more weeks before all this comes together, it is still something I'm looking forward to.  Having a classy looking pair of Grados (SR325) with the stealth liners - removing some of the sound influences introduced by the aluminum cups.

May 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2,321 of 3,640
#7470 reporting in.  Fabulously chrome and proud of it.  Damn, these things are bright.  Not piercing as my ATH-M50.  The difference I believe, M50 explodes at certain high voices, and 325is just go into all out hissy-mode for any higher tones.

I hope with some burn-in, they'll calm down a bit.  I might get those HD414 pads to help dampening, if it comes to it.  Those $40 Grado extension cables are going to be necessary too, so I can move my case/noise-source further away.

Let's hope these don't break in less than a year, like my previous 2 Grados.  Negative comments aside, I do love these fun-cans very much. :p  #7470 signing off.

May 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #2,323 of 3,640

Quote:

Looking into mods for my 325, 60 and igrado.  That, and possible repair for my STAX Gamma headband.

Be sure to check out the SR-60 mod thread in this forum.  As far as modifying the SR-325i, I'm planning on keeping things kind of "stealth" looking - or, stock if I can.  I currently have a member, "Bilavideo", cutting some wooden liners for my 325s.  This is kind of a test to see how the bass features might change by lining the aluminum cups with a wooden structure.  My impressions will be posted over the in SR-60 Mod thread once I receive the liners and perform the update and have a chance at evaluating the sound.

May 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,324 of 3,640

Quote:
Be sure to check out the SR-60 mod thread in this forum.  As far as modifying the SR-325i, I'm planning on keeping things kind of "stealth" looking - or, stock if I can.  I currently have a member, "Bilavideo", cutting some wooden liners for my 325s.  This is kind of a test to see how the bass features might change by lining the aluminum cups with a wooden structure.  My impressions will be posted over the in SR-60 Mod thread once I receive the liners and perform the update and have a chance at evaluating the sound.

wje,

Thank you for the greet.
I did read about 20 pages of the '60 thread.  It is right up my alley, though I might try it with carbon fiber tubing rather than wood. 

May 16, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #2,325 of 3,640

Quote:
wje,

Thank you for the greet.
I did read about 20 pages of the '60 thread.  It is right up my alley, though I might try it with carbon fiber tubing rather than wood. 

Should be an interesting test - to see where the results end up.  Also, another "mod" that we've been working with is purchasing the 1/8" shaft collars and installing them on the rods of our Grados.  The shaft collars have a set screw that you adjust with an allen wrench.  One is placed on each side above the "L" or "R" block and another on each side below the respective blocks.  This prevents the the Grados from moving "out of adjustment" as they can tend to do over time.  These collars hold things right in place and your Grados are set to the precise adjusted level for listening each time you put them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back