The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Dec 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2,161 of 3,640
Congrats and welcome to the family.

On a side note...is there any rhyme or reason to Grado's serial numbering system? Just wondering...Bronco's 325's are obviously the newest version but has a lower number then mine. My 325's are 9090...unless I'm reading them upside down...maybe I have 0606...lol

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #2,162 of 3,640

Quote:
Santa was good to me this morning: Grado 325is and a NuForce uDAC 2. So far, with no burn in, I am in sonic bliss.

Wow, how odd, that is exactly the set up I got for Christmas.  Hats off to you, sir.

Question/problem though, fellow 325i owners.  For whatever reason, parts of songs that I hear on many systems (stereo, other headphones, car stereo, laptop speakers etc.) seem to be not there at all.  These are relatively prominent guitar or bass guitar parts that just seem to drop out entirely, if the exact songs are needed just let me know.  Some albums sound fantastic, while others have these "missing" parts.  I was wondering if this is just the "Grado sound" placing emphasis on certain areas or possibly my pretty crappy Best Buy 1/4" to 1/8" converter.  Any help would be appreciated!

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #2,163 of 3,640
hmmm...not sure I have ever lost parts of a song but I sure as heck hear stuff I have never heard before....quite often in fact.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #2,164 of 3,640

Quote:
Wow, how odd, that is exactly the set up I got for Christmas.  Hats off to you, sir.

Question/problem though, fellow 325i owners.  For whatever reason, parts of songs that I hear on many systems (stereo, other headphones, car stereo, laptop speakers etc.) seem to be not there at all.  These are relatively prominent guitar or bass guitar parts that just seem to drop out entirely, if the exact songs are needed just let me know.  Some albums sound fantastic, while others have these "missing" parts.  I was wondering if this is just the "Grado sound" placing emphasis on certain areas or possibly my pretty crappy Best Buy 1/4" to 1/8" converter.  Any help would be appreciated!

What headphones/speakers were you listening with before?  What are some examples of songs with missing parts?

The missing parts might be due to the grado sound in comparison to what you were listening with before.  It could be that what you were listening with before emphasized a part of the sound to be more prominent that what the Grado does.

As for the adapter.  I'd suggest getting one that uses a short bit of cable between the two ends.  The one piece adapters like you'll find at Best Buy put extra leverage on the little mini jack and can actually damage the mini jack.  The adapters with a cable are the way to go.

Here's some to look at:
Hosa MHE-100.5 (at sweetwater) (at B&H)
Grado
Sennheiser
Cardas

I use the Hosa (I'm cheap when it comes to cable things).  It works fine.  The 1/4" jack it uses feels cheap when plugging the headphones in.  But it works.  The Grado one is better and keeps the Grado cable look.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #2,165 of 3,640
Checking-in... Grado RS325is  # 5756 
beyersmile.png

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #2,166 of 3,640

Quote:
What headphones/speakers were you listening with before?  What are some examples of songs with missing parts?

The missing parts might be due to the grado sound in comparison to what you were listening with before.  It could be that what you were listening with before emphasized a part of the sound to be more prominent that what the Grado does.

As for the adapter.  I'd suggest getting one that uses a short bit of cable between the two ends.  The one piece adapters like you'll find at Best Buy put extra leverage on the little mini jack and can actually damage the mini jack.  The adapters with a cable are the way to go.

Well, it's either been through an old JVC stereo, or Bose On-Ear.  Though this is likely because I've listened to both for much longer than the Grados, I feel as if I can hear more detail using both the stereo and the Bose.  There's a few other examples but the two biggest are Deerhunter's "Desire Lines" and Sonic Youth's "(I Got A) Catholic Block."  With the first song, the guitar riff that enters about 15 seconds in is barely audible.  With the Sonic Youth song that fuzzed bassline is barely there.  There's a few other ones, but these are most noticeable.  As for the cable, I've already ordered the Grado adapter, should be in any day now.  Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #2,170 of 3,640

Quote:

Quote:

Here's some to look at:
Hosa MHE-100.5 (at sweetwater) (at B&H)
Grado
Sennheiser
Cardas

I use the Hosa (I'm cheap when it comes to cable things).  It works fine.  The 1/4" jack it uses feels cheap when plugging the headphones in.  But it works.  The Grado one is better and keeps the Grado cable look.

Spot on regarding the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.  You're absolutely right in that not any old adapter will work.  Case in point, I used a relatively cheap adapter I got from Radio Shack and could not hear anything on the left side, and I tried several sources in which the result was always the same.  This held true for two other cheap adapters I tried out as well, where I was never able to get a complete signal coming through.  I knew it wasn't the headphones because they worked just fine when plugged into a 1/4 jack.  I finally ordered the Grado adapter and it works flawlessly.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2,171 of 3,640
Dec 31, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #2,172 of 3,640
Spot on regarding the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.  You're absolutely right in that not any old adapter will work.  Case in point, I used a relatively cheap adapter I got from Radio Shack and could not hear anything on the left side, and I tried several sources in which the result was always the same.  This held true for two other cheap adapters I tried out as well, where I was never able to get a complete signal coming through.  I knew it wasn't the headphones because they worked just fine when plugged into a 1/4 jack.  I finally ordered the Grado adapter and it works flawlessly.

Sounds like this is likely my problem, hopefully the Grado one will be in soon. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #2,173 of 3,640

Quote:
Well, it's either been through an old JVC stereo, or Bose On-Ear.  Though this is likely because I've listened to both for much longer than the Grados, I feel as if I can hear more detail using both the stereo and the Bose.  There's a few other examples but the two biggest are Deerhunter's "Desire Lines" and Sonic Youth's "(I Got A) Catholic Block."  With the first song, the guitar riff that enters about 15 seconds in is barely audible.  With the Sonic Youth song that fuzzed bassline is barely there.  There's a few other ones, but these are most noticeable.  As for the cable, I've already ordered the Grado adapter, should be in any day now.  Anyway, thanks again for the help.

I don't have either of those songs.  So I resorted to YouTube for the songs.  That's risky in that YouTube versions don't always fairly represent what the CD versions sound like.

Here's the two versions I listened to on YouTube
Sonic Youth
Deerhunter (I listened to the 720P HD version)

Are those fair representations of the CD audio versions?  The audio in the Sonic Youth video sounds rather poor.  I don't know if the actual CD sounds like that or not.  The audio in the Deerhunter song seems pretty good.

Anyways, both songs offer sonic challenges for the Grado 325is.  Neither makes the 325is sound its best. 

The fuzzed bass in the Sonic Youth song is at a lower frequency than the Grado is able to emphasize.  The Grado starts to roll off at around 100 Hz and falls off at a pretty good rate.  My Sennheiser HD600 headphones also start to roll off at around 100 Hz and they aren't able to bring out that fuzzy bass either.  My Denon D2000 go deeper and are able to bring out the fuzz.  I also listened using my M-Audio BX8a monitors.  They go down to about 50 Hz (I don't have a sub) and they were starting to bring out the fuzzy bass lines.  Not all that well though.  And the song sounded uncomfortably odd and poorly mastered when listening on the BX8a.  It was literally making me uncomfortable to listen to it.  Does the CD version of the song really sound like that?  It has some odd EQ and effects that make it sound thin and some unnatural frequency holes/gaps.

The Deerhunter hits on the "shouty" frequency bumps that the 325is (and other Grados) can fall prey to.  The SR series grados have a bump at around 2000 Hz that can make some parts of the music become "shouty" if they manage to hit that frequency zone just right.  In Desire Lines the words "me" and "free" in "come with me" and "walking free" manage to hit that shouty frequency and resonate a bit too much.  The guitar riff that enters at about 15 seconds also gets part of its sound resonated by that shouty zone.  The body of the guitar sound gets resonated by the shouty zone which obscures the plucky part of the guitar sound.  So if you're listening for the plucky part (and that's where the melodic line is) it will be obscured and not as obvious as it should be.

So yup.  What you're hearing is the Grado being a bad partner and not doing what is best for the music.

You can help the Sonic Youth song by EQing in more bass.  I sometimes add a virtual subwoofer DSP effect to help the Grado when the song needs more of the lower region of the bass than the Grado naturally does.  Otherwise I switch to my Denon D2000 when I want/need to hear what's gong on in the lower bass.

You can help the Deerhunter song by doing some EQ to lower the upper mids and treble.  If you look at my sig I often do a shelf EQ with my 325is to fix exactly that problem.  Start the shelf EQ before 2000 Hz cause the shouty zone is around the 2000 Hz region.  So start at say 1500 Hz and lower every slider on the EQ by 3 dB and see what happens.  That will help neutralize the shouty zone and let you hear the guitar riff better.  You can experiment with how much to lower the shelf.  Sometimes lowering it by 3 dB is too much, sometimes just right.  Depends on the song and how I'm feeling.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2,174 of 3,640
Thanks for all the advice man, much appreciated!  I'll definitely do some EQ work to help solve the problem.  I got in my new converter and that was really the problem though, everything is now clearly audible.  I think the old converter wasn't fully sending the signal, especially to the right side of the headphones.  You are right though, after listening with what you said in mind I can hear that the songs present some challenges for the Grados.  That's not too big of a deal though, I can now have the full experience of the Grados, which is what I was looking for most!

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,175 of 3,640
Checking in..5121 - got the shiny ones.  I might be in the minority, but I really like the chrome finish.  On a side note, REI is selling these semi-hard cases that work great (until I build a headphone stand...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back