The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Dec 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #2,131 of 3,640
I get the same kind of sound when running it straight out of the iPod's headphone jack. When I'm using my Total Bithead amp and iTunes, it's much less noticeable, and I EQ it only ever so slightly and it sounds great. The Treble Booster preset in iTunes is just way too bright for me, but on the iPod it's just right. Weird.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2,132 of 3,640
hmmm...that is kinda weird. But whatever works...I haven't tried my Grados off my iPod yet. I did try it straight off my computer...I thought my ears were going to start bleeding...lol...I think I'll try them with my iPod now...I'm curious.

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #2,133 of 3,640
Ok...so I'm a little pissed...seems my iPod just took a dump on me when I connected it too my computer and I lost about 2000 songs that I did not saved to iTunes. Oh well. I needed to update my selection anyways.

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #2,134 of 3,640

Quote:
My headphone buddy just bought the HE-5SLE to go with his GS-1000s.  Nice.  Haven't had a good listen to the HIFI man get-up yet, but, I will.  Brief listen through a Yarland was smooooth, yet heavy, if you get my drift and I think you do.

A comparison with the 325i would be awesome, when you finally do.  I'd be a moron to buy this right now, but I like to have goals.

Quote:
I like to use the ipod's treble booster eq preset with all of my headphones, including the 325is. Am I completely nuts?

No, sir, you are the man.  It's like at the beginning of "Kung Fu" where the dude is punching hot coals to toughen his fists.  I bet you could wear out cobalt drill bits against your eardrums.  I give you the devil horns and two head bangs.  Party on, Wayne.

Quote:
I don't find the headband uncomfy at all but I am not thrilled about the ear pads. I am going to try some G-cushions soon and I know that will increase the comfort...just hoping the sound improves too...or at least stays the same. If they don't work I am thinking about experimenting with the donuts off my Beyers.

I do think the JMoney bands are darn sexy though. If I ever move up to a higher model than the 325's I will likely get one just for looks...lol

This was posted earlier in the thread by Ham Sandwich, but in case you hadn't seen it, there might be some stuff to interest you:

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm

And thanks again to Ham for the Easy-Q link, it's a pretty damn useful plugin for foobar.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2,135 of 3,640

Quote:
I get the same kind of sound when running it straight out of the iPod's headphone jack. When I'm using my Total Bithead amp and iTunes, it's much less noticeable, and I EQ it only ever so slightly and it sounds great. The Treble Booster preset in iTunes is just way too bright for me, but on the iPod it's just right. Weird.

Apple doesn't seem to be completely consistent with their EQ presets.  iPods may have slightly different presets than iTunes and I'd even suspect that different iPod models have differences in the presets.

Here's another set of iPod EQ preset graphs measured from a Touch 3G.  Slightly different (but still similar) than the graphs measured by JLab Audio.  I'm not sure if JLab Audio measured an iPod or measured iTunes.  The Treble Booster measured by JLab Audio has more boost than the Treble Booster on the Touch 3G. 

You might want to experiment with a parametric EQ in Foobar.  Try EasyQ or Electri-Q Posihfopit.  You'll need to add a VST component to Foobar to use them.  Parametric EQs let you pick the frequencies and the width of the boost so you can better dial in and explore.  Graphic EQs don't give you that much flexibility.

With the parametric EQ you could explore and try to figure out what frequency region bump is giving you the extra life in the sound and from that figure out what makes the non-EQed version sound lifeless.  It's about exploring and finding out what tickles your ears.  Once you know what tickles your ears you can figure out how to make that part of your sound signature sound better.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #2,136 of 3,640
I know for sure that I am doing the screw mod probably tomorrow...the left assembly is so loose it won't even try to stay in place and I have to keep adjusting it...pretty annoying. I would send them back to get fixed but I don't think I can go weeks with my Grados plus I just sold my Beyers so I wouldn't have anything. Besides...I would say chances are I would still have to do it later on anyways with the fixed ones.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #2,137 of 3,640
Quote:
I know for sure that I am doing the screw mod probably tomorrow...the left assembly is so loose it won't even try to stay in place and I have to keep adjusting it...pretty annoying.

Is the screw mod you're thinking about the mod where you put a set screw or machine screw through the side of the plastic part of the rod holder?

I've seen people use a small shaft collar to keep the rod from slipping.  I like that approach better than putting a screw through the plastic.  The challenge is in finding a small and suitable shaft collar with a suitable set screw.  Lock the shaft collar right above the plastic rod holder and the rods won't be able to slide down any further yet still be free to spin.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #2,138 of 3,640
hmmm....well....it was going to be a screw through the plastic. I never even thought about doing the sleeve with a set screw. I like that idea better. I'll have to see what I can find in my box of r/c parts.

***Couple grub screws and I'm in business. Seems that a trip to the hardware store is in order tomorrow. THANKS Ham Sandwich for the idea.***

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #2,139 of 3,640
I've been expecting to need to do some sort of fix eventually to keep the rods from slipping.  My 325is is still fairly new so it hasn't been an issue yet.  I'm sure it will be eventually.  My plan has been to do some sort of shaft collar.  I just don't know where I'll find a suitable shaft collar.  I'll try the local r/c hobby shop.  Hadn't thought of them being a source for little faster devices.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with for yours.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #2,141 of 3,640
Cool!  Is that the right size for the Grado rods?
I didn't know Amazon carried specialty hardware and fasteners.

It looks like it will be a tight fit fitting the shaft collar on the 325is.  The leather part of the headband is very close to the rod so not much room for a shaft collar.  I think it will work though.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #2,142 of 3,640

[size=medium]
That is exactly what I was going to make except I have some aluminum spacers used on r/c's. I will have to drill them out slightly then drill the hole for a set screw and thread it. But I might just grab those off the link...much easier even though i will have to wait a week. 

Oh, and my 325's are a week old today and the left cup is completely free sliding. Real PITA to keep them fitted when wearing them. I'm going to see if the local hardware store by some small miracle has something like in the link. If not I am ordering, I may try to make some too just for S&G's.

Ebay has them and here are some more options too...you can get them in several metal options including stainless and black oxide coated...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=a5ptez
[/size]

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #2,143 of 3,640

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Thanks for sharing . So it must only be the 50th anniversary 325i that is numbered in this way?

Anyway looks like i have the highest serial # so far?

Where are the other 4700 owners ...ive almost drank all the scotch and smoked all the cigars
tongue.gif

That's a good point! I wonder! I happen to have non-serialized MS2i; but I wonder if the earlier SR325s have a S/N, both the earlier silver SR-325s and the even earlier black models? But yeah, just the anniversary model would make more sense at that.

Hey guys! Anyone else want to check in before the scotch and cigars are all gone!!

Hi everyone, I'm new to Head-Fi.

I own a pair of SR325's (original, silver which come with the "square" housing) and mine are serialized. #1112

Should I consider selling these off and going with set of 325is? Thanks.
-rezolver

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #2,144 of 3,640

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to Head-Fi.

I own a pair of SR325's (original, silver which come with the "square" housing) and mine are serialized. #1112

Should I consider selling these off and going with set of 325is? Thanks.
-rezolver

Keep them!!! They are the originals and have a fantastic sound! Or at least keep them untill you have done a direct A/B comparison to the newest edition. Then you can decide if you find the difference worth the money. Maybe you will like the originals better?  
Some consider these the very best 325's yet. If you pair them with the original Sugden Headmaster you have a VERY good combination. 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #2,145 of 3,640
does anyone have experience with the recabled sr325is Zombie X sells from his website?

I'm very interested in buying some 325's but they are a bit overpriced here in Europe. The ones Zombie X sells  are actually cheaper than the stock ones over here in Holland.
I was wondering if someone could tell me how the dampening mods change the sound?

link:  http://www.zombie-x.com/zxamateurcablesrev2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back