The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 20, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #1,771 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by shavala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I have been looking for, a low volume comment on these phones. almost all my listening is low level (work in a cubicle farm). I never much liked the IEM or closed sound factor. Open, tranparent is what works for me. I look forward to getting the 325is very very soon.

True. I'll bet that most people who dislike the highs have a relatively loud preferred volume. I listen... well, medium, but certainly not loud and I love my 325i.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,772 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. I'll bet that most people who dislike the highs have a relatively loud preferred volume. I listen... well, medium, but certainly not loud and I love my 325i.

Agreed.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,774 of 3,640
^ I think it's more than just volume, but also the music that they listen to. There is a spike in the high frequency response of the SR325is that synergises with the highs in some of my music. I definitely stayed away from those CD's when using the SR325is. This would be mostly rock and metal stuff. Even the RS2 would be a tad harsh as well. For those CD's I use my Ed8's.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #1,775 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I think it's more than just volume, but also the music that they listen to. There is a spike in the high frequency response of the SR325is that synergises with the highs in some of my music. I definitely stayed away from those CD's when using the SR325is. This would be mostly rock and metal stuff. Even the RS2 would be a tad harsh as well. For those CD's I use my Ed8's.

Did you just say you dont like them for rock and metal?

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #1,776 of 3,640
I love the high/bright characteristics of the 325is. When I first got my 325is I listened to them for 10 + hours straight with the volume high. I love the "edge of your seat" feeling the 325is give.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #1,777 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the high/bright characteristics of the 325is. When I first got my 325is I listened to them for 10 + hours straight with the volume high. I love the "edge of your seat" feeling the 325is give.

Dude, you're hardcore.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,779 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you just say you dont like them for rock and metal?

Indeed, I did. Strident to my ears in way too many instances. I much prefer my Ed8's for rock and metal.... in general. There are some rock artists and albums that are fine with the SR325is, but they're fine as well with the Ed8's, so...

OTOH, the SR325is, for me, excel big time in the ambient, new age, world, and reggae music genre. In fact, they do very well in Jazz and Classical as well!!

Too much stridency with many rock and metal cd's.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #1,780 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, have you tried equalizing them? There isn't a Grado out there that doesn't need eq imho, but they can sound amazing if one takes the time to eq.

Or you could glue the Senn 414 pads (cut-out recommended) to the Grado comfies, that'l EQ 'em
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,781 of 3,640
I have original SR325s, I want to join!

Heh... I had them open to repair the cable that finally came loose from age. I was hoping to find a serial number, but I guess it wasn't being done then. I softly etched my own markings to tell L from R while apart, (I am right about red wire is actually on the left?), anyway, I was reading about some signature differences that the I Improved brings. It seems the originals have a better attack on, say, a kick drum. They sound wonderful for rock, and were probably voiced with rock, or something of that nature. I think they may be a bit quicker, which explains the less bottom end, however, there seems to be a fair amount of top end control... still bright, but they are not too much. Some subgenres of rock really really sound wonderfully good on these guys. I hope the I improved versions didn't trade this mid-hf speed and control for a bit more bottom end, or to push the hf up farther. The originals already are hyperdetailed.

I want to order "flats", as I hear it is one of the better improvements for the originals.

Any thoughts? Obviously, if I could, I would own both, but really, these seem to capture the Grado sound in full, even if it is not quite the same. They are so addicting, it makes me feel bad for my other headphones sometimes because I use these so much. The only genres they aren't so good at are IDM and hard industrial/EBM.

I pretty much use them as my shoegazer/dreampop phones, and they always make me smile in that respect. I am sure the Improved versions build on that magic, but I doubt preferred genres would change that much.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #1,782 of 3,640
I have had my pair of 325i's for about a week now and love them! My number is #3098.

The highs can be a bit much on some recordings, but overall though I love the in-you-face sound that these things create. As some of you have mentioned I think it may have something to do with the volume level I use. Listening to metal, I have always cranked to the volume up, but I am trying to tone it down a bit so the highs don't destroy my ears!

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,783 of 3,640
Just received my set. I have #3310. It is pretty nice pulling out my old CD's from storage after all these years. I own klipsch heritage speakers starting with the forte 2, then sold those and listened to me La Scalas and heresy 2s for many years as well as my bozak Symphonies. we moved into a tiny house and I forgo'd my speakers for the past 10 years or so. forgot how I enjoyed listening to music till I happened to walk into a little old stereo shop about a year ago. Put on some SR80's and was reminded of what I used to enjoy. well it is a year later, my SR325is has arrived in the mail 45 minutes ago and I am just so relaxed listening to these old CD's. thank you to you all for your comments, critiques, recommendations and just generally enjoyable good reading materials. A fellow Grado fan.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #1,784 of 3,640
Quote:

Just received my set. I have #3310. It is pretty nice pulling out my old CD's from storage after all these years. I own klipsch heritage speakers starting with the forte 2, then sold those and listened to me La Scalas and heresy 2s for many years as well as my bozak Symphonies. we moved into a tiny house and I forgo'd my speakers for the past 10 years or so. forgot how I enjoyed listening to music till I happened to walk into a little old stereo shop about a year ago. Put on some SR80's and was reminded of what I used to enjoy. well it is a year later, my SR325is has arrived in the mail 45 minutes ago and I am just so relaxed listening to these old CD's. thank you to you all for your comments, critiques, recommendations and just generally enjoyable good reading materials. A fellow Grado fan.
smily_headphones1.gif

I congratulate you on your purchase, they are amazing set of headphones aren't they
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #1,785 of 3,640
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Your history is similar to mine. For much of my married life, I had given up listening seriously to music until I discovered this way of doing it, without disturbing anyone else.

Happy head-fi'ing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back