The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 26, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #1,711 of 3,640
Hey there, I got #4843 of the oldies here
smily_headphones1.gif

Those are truly great cans.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #1,712 of 3,640
I'am not very sure if this has been posted before,we all know that the Grado's are nice when interpreting the guitar, but they are awesome with the drums too.
Every track I'am listening, let it be Diana Krall,Jimi Hendrix or Aerosmith the drums just are imaged with such clarity.

I was at a live brass band performance today, I feel my Grado's sound cleaner then live music
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #1,713 of 3,640
Yup. The 325's are pretty handy with the drums. Seems to be the spot in the Grado line where this first happens. The SR225's, by my estimation, were a touch weak in this area.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #1,715 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. The 325's are pretty handy with the drums. Seems to be the spot in the Grado line where this first happens. The SR225's, by my estimation, were a touch weak in this area.

This is, I think, because of two factors:

1) The more detailed midrange helps distinguish the sonic texture of the head.

2) The greater depth in the bass helps with the lower frequency drums as well as with the decay.

The 325s don't still carry the weight of the lower drums nearly as well as the RS1 headphones, however. No doubt the 325s are a big jump up from the 225s in terms of resolution, and that helps with making the instruments sound more natural.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #1,716 of 3,640
While I agree that the SR325is has great bass, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they have great depth. By depth do you mean extension and detail? Not so for them. After owning a D5000, I was introduced to serious bass depth and detail. Too prominent, I thought, but my, oh my, there was a lot of depth and detail. Details I didn't know existed in the bass of some tunes, came out with the Denons. The same goes for the Edition 8's.

OTOH, for my Grado's, i.e., SR325is (now Magnums) and RS2i, the HD650 when I had it and also, my K702's.... they have great bass. I like the bass of the HD650's the least since for me, it was most lacking in depth and resolution. Volume certainly doesn't equate to depth and detail.

My Grado's give a wonderful bass punch with a well-defined texture and balance with the other parts of the sound spectrum. They have good depth, but not great. Certainly enough for me to generally prefer their bass over the D5000's. Afterall, it's not only about depth and detail, but about overall tonal balance. The Edition 8's are my personal reference for bass. Maybe there's better, but they're the best I've heard.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #1,717 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Grado's give a wonderful bass punch with a well-defined texture and balance with the other parts of the sound spectrum. They have good depth, but not great. Certainly enough for me to generally prefer their bass over the D5000's. Afterall, it's not only about depth and detail, but about overall tonal balance. The Edition 8's are my personal reference for bass. Maybe there's better, but they're the best I've heard.

I think you missed the context of my response. I was responding to someone who said that, in their experience, drums sounded better through the 325s than through the 225s. It was only in relationship to one another.

I have written in other posts that the 325s don't have the weight that the RS1s do. The 325s don't push the kind of air that result in gut feeling impact, certainly not the way my loudspeakers do. And I did notice a difference in this while listening to the RS1s, that these headphones were much more capable of a dynamic blast than the 325s, this latter aspect IS something that is missing. The strengths of the 325s, I think, are their ability to portray natural timber, detailed midrange, tunefulness and lack of bloat, quickness, and microdynamics. Overall, their ability to engage is really good.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,718 of 3,640
AnalogJ,
You're right. I misunderstood.
redface.gif
I do agree with all you just wrote, short of what you wrote about the RS1's. Never heard them so I don't know what to think.
wink.gif
The RS2i has pretty much identical bass response to the SR325is.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #1,719 of 3,640
What IS the sonic difference between the RS2i and SR325is?

From my recollection, the difference between the 325is and RS1 is that the latter has a smoother, more relaxed top end, a deeper soundstage and greater slam.

I can definitely say that the 325is is no longer edgy on the top end. It's not entirely free of top end grain, and I would prefer a slightly more relaxed sound on top, but it doesn't have any of the edge or glare it had initially. That's a great thing. It is a seriously listenable headphone and quite enjoyable, but I still prefer listening through my loudspeakers, which give the music more room to breathe. I do love the intimacy that the Grados can bring to some of the music, and I'm very glad went for them over the 225i.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #1,720 of 3,640
I no longer have the original SR325is to compare with the RS2i so I can't make a very accurate comparison, but I do recall considering them to be very close sonically except that the RS2i has a less sparkly top end.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #1,722 of 3,640
Getting ready to purchase the 325i's. Any suggestions on vendors & return policies. I've looked at Audio Advisor, Headroom & Music Direct. Prices are all the same ($295.00)
Your wisdom is appreciated ......
k701smile.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #1,723 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by ovrclkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting ready to purchase the 325i's. Any suggestions on vendors & return policies. I've looked at Audio Advisor, Headroom & Music Direct. Prices are all the same ($295.00)
k701smile.gif

See my pm. You'll be glad you did.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #1,725 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by ovrclkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701smile.gif

If I want a can, I usually check HeadRoom first. Great service!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back