The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #1,666 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I can't stand it anymore. My sr325is's pads are driving me crazy, I have tried bowls, hd414 pads, modded hd414 pads, reverse modded hd414 pads and they still make my ears hurt. This was not a huge problem with my sr80's because they were lighter. Any other pad ideas? edit: i'm very close to quarter modding some tampons and using them as pads.

Don't know if you want to try some type of distancers, but have a look at the "MS-100" link in my sig to see what I did to solve that problem for me -- same thing, the white fabric speaker grill pressing on the outer portion of my ear. My mod is an easy DIY, but since your 325 is silver, maybe you could use good ol' silver duct tape instead of black.

The jumbo Grado bagels might push the grills a bit away from your ear, but it might also really change the sound sig, probably dropping some bass impact, and increasing the soundstage.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,667 of 3,640
Have you tried washing the pads? I had similar problems with my 325i's and then the HF2's. I took the stock HF2 pads and soaked them overnight in diluted woolite. I did this twice. They are now much softer and WAY more comfortable. No more itching.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,669 of 3,640
Is there any easy fix to make these more comfortable? My ears hurt like crazy after using them for a few hours. My HD595s felt so much better
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #1,670 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any easy fix to make these more comfortable? My ears hurt like crazy after using them for a few hours. My HD595s felt so much better
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can try improving bass and soundstage with some cotton sheet material like this:

3456456.jpg

You can add more layers for more effect. It will help if the peaky highs bother you or if they have an uncomfortable fit. No glue or anything else required.

Costs pennies without overdoing it with those expensive jumbo bowls or something like that. Minimal impact on sound. Try it if you cannot find a comfortable position with stock configuration.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #1,671 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reverve what?

Reverse the pads. Take them off, and put them back on back to front. Your ears will rest on the pads (circumaural), not inside them, and you will also get the benefit of additional spacing/distance. It is a no brainer. The soundstage/imaging with my RS1's is incredible, owing in some measure, no doubt, to this modification.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #1,672 of 3,640
Hahahah!!

Grado should look at this seriously. I decided to give this flipping around with the bowls on my RS2i. I was VERY surprised at how it worked!!! I'm pretty sure that if you handed the bowls to a group of people unfamiliar with the proper fit, some would put them on in the reverse way. This is how laughably 'right' they seem to fit. They do cause some limitation in the driver housing's ability to pivot, but this is a small point for my personal fit. It definitely adds to the comfort when the rim of the bowls aren't as sharp as they are in the stock configuration. I still have them a bit forward though there is far more room for shifting a bit back or forward.

As to their sounding better and the soundstage opening up?? Not for me. They sound the same. Just more comfortable. I'll be keeping them this way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #1,673 of 3,640
Quote:

frown.gif

See my response right above to deltaspirit.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #1,674 of 3,640
Quote:

frown.gif

As my old Dad used to say;Get a proper job,or get out more
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #1,675 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have them a bit forward though there is far more room for shifting a bit back or forward.

From my own experience/experimentation, I caution you to not place them too forward (as I started out doing), which will deprive you of some high frequency extension and also volume. I found that what works best for me is the back outer edge of the bowl circumference approximately aligned with the edge of the middle of the ear.

As always, YMMV, but this is just what worked best for me.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #1,676 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my own experience/experimentation, I caution you to not place them too forward (as I started out doing), which will deprive you of some high frequency extension and also volume. I found that what works best for me is the back outer edge of the bowl circumference approximately aligned with the edge of the middle of the ear.

As always, YMMV, but this is just what worked best for me.

Not to worry. From your description you have them more forward than I do. I compare and listen as I move them forward. The last thing I wish to do is impact on the performance of my cans through fiddling with them. This was why I was initially reluctant to try your mod, but then it was so easily reversible so I tried it.

Thanks!!

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #1,677 of 3,640
hi. i'm new here, just got my phones delivered today! damn, such a different sound out of them from what I'm normally used to, hah! I am curious how much of a difference you get with something like the Little Dot 1+ tube amp? I've gone through previous pages but is it really a night and day difference?

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #1,678 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by azshall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi. i'm new here, just got my phones delivered today! damn, such a different sound out of them from what I'm normally used to, hah! I am curious how much of a difference you get with something like the Little Dot 1+ tube amp? I've gone through previous pages but is it really a night and day difference?

I use a little dot I+ with mine, and it made a big difference compared to the headphone out of my dac (apogee duet). Clarity, detail and warmth were hugely improved for me. The I+ allows for lots of tweaking of sound too via tube/opamp rolling. There is a very informative thread about tube/opamp rolling the I+, and some tubes really warm up the detailed sound of the 325is. A worthy purchase in my opinion, but it also depends on what you feed it - what is your source?

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #1,679 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reverse the pads. Take them off, and put them back on back to front. Your ears will rest on the pads (circumaural), not inside them, and you will also get the benefit of additional spacing/distance. It is a no brainer. The soundstage/imaging with my RS1's is incredible, owing in some measure, no doubt, to this modification.

Do you mean the bowls? reversed hd414 pads were not much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back