The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jan 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,651 of 3,640
I just got my SR325is in the mail. I had been using an HD595 paired with the Xonar STX. The HD595s were really the only "good" pair of headphones I've ever listened to so something to compare to is a welcome change.

The Grados are surprising. They are much more forward and aggresive and the bass is much better than the HD595. I'm hearing drum beats I've never heard before, and a new fidelity to many songs--especially the vocals & guitars. It's as if each note is much more refined and focused and when listen critically you can just tear apart a song into its given parts. I also think the soundstage is much better--a term that I had been previously unable to apply because I had no idea what people were talking about with a "3D picture of music".

I like them a lot; they give music a kind of fullness and depth I hadn't heard until now.

A note on the shrillness: at first it was near-unbearable and felt like it was distorting my music. But now after a few hours of listening it's virtually gone and left in its place are defined highs. So that worked out rather well.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #1,652 of 3,640
Go back to the HD595's and you'll realize that a LOT of that loss of shrillness if because of your adaptation. Not that it isn't a bad thing, mind you.
wink.gif
Over the long run, you'll know whether or not this change is right for you or it's an adaptation that's actually fatiguing.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your new cans!!! It's a wonderful experience, even if it's not for the long haul.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,653 of 3,640
My 325i seem to have past the test...of time. I bought mine in March 2007 and later did some mods, they're pictured on page 1. They have a special sound that no other can I own can pull off.

I wish I had time to listen to them more often. Stupid job.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #1,654 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A note on the shrillness: at first it was near-unbearable and felt like it was distorting my music. But now after a few hours of listening it's virtually gone and left in its place are defined highs. So that worked out rather well.

This IS what I am finding. I think your experience has merit. I also think it depends on your matching amplification as well. I don't think that Aimlink is necessarily correct that the headphone's highs sounding better is due to mere acclimation or adaptation to the sound. The highs on mine have certainly been tamed, though I'd like to see that happen more. I plan to do some more breaking in to see if they get even better in that regard.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #1,655 of 3,640
Alright, I can't stand it anymore. My sr325is's pads are driving me crazy, I have tried bowls, hd414 pads, modded hd414 pads, reverse modded hd414 pads and they still make my ears hurt. This was not a huge problem with my sr80's because they were lighter. Any other pad ideas?

edit: i'm very close to quarter modding some tampons and using them as pads.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #1,656 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I can't stand it anymore. My sr325is's pads are driving me crazy, I have tried bowls, hd414 pads, modded hd414 pads, reverse modded hd414 pads and they still make my ears hurt. This was not a huge problem with my sr80's because they were lighter. Any other pad ideas?

Please do not mess with SR325 - it really destroys the sound. I recommend cutting the very outer part of your ear off. If that does not help take a bit more. Continue untill you find exactly the right amount for you. It may take som time but it will be all worth it....
duggehsmile.png

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #1,657 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do not mess with SR325 - it really destroys the sound. I recommend cutting the very outer part of your ear off. If that does not help take a bit more. Continue untill you find exactly the right amount for you. It may take som time but it will be all worth it....
duggehsmile.png

Nice suggestion there Vincent!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #1,658 of 3,640
Quote:

Have you tried moving the bowl a little forward so that the outer rim of the back of the bowl rests on the outer rim of the back of your outer ear? In that way, it's no longer about the bowls rim just managing to surround your ear, with the inner driver plastic cover sitting directly on your ear and slowly stripping your skin off.

This subtle change of position was a huge breakthrough for me. It immensely improved comfort and also the sound, although at first, it did feel odd.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #1,659 of 3,640
That I can feel my ear touching the inside face of the headphone, is this any different than the other Grados? I'm considering calling up John Grado and asking him whether this is the intention of the design.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #1,660 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That I can feel my ear touching the inside face of the headphone, is this any different than the other Grados? I'm considering calling up John Grado and asking him whether this is the intention of the design.

I used to feel that and it was terribly uncomfortable for me. When I discovered the recommendation on head-fi about moving them a bit forward as I mentioned, I haven't had a problem since.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #1,661 of 3,640
I'm looking for some cans primarily used for Gaming.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on some Audio Technica ATH-A900s due to their great support as gaming cans. However, I do listen to music - Rock and Orchestra/Sountrack.

People say lower end Grados are too upfront for gaming, but what about the 325is?

I don't want to have to buy a pair of cans for gaming and another pair for music.

Do the 325is provide a soundstage good for immersion / positioning that would benefit gaming/movies, while still being top notch for classical and rock music? Thanks.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,662 of 3,640
Quote:

Reverse them...and don't look back.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #1,663 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reverse them...and don't look back.

Reverve what? Aimlink, I've tried your method but don't like the placment of the headphones on my ears. What about the bagel pads?

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,664 of 3,640
Quote:

Reverve what? Aimlink, I've tried your method but don't like the placment of the headphones on my ears. What about the bagel pads?

I didn't like it when I started either. But it was either that or having to put up with very annoying discomfort or going around buying this or that pad that wasn't intended to be used with the 325is. Now, it feels right to me. If you ask me, I'd say just keep them like that for a while.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #1,665 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for some cans primarily used for Gaming.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on some Audio Technica ATH-A900s due to their great support as gaming cans. However, I do listen to music - Rock and Orchestra/Sountrack.

People say lower end Grados are too upfront for gaming, but what about the 325is?

I don't want to have to buy a pair of cans for gaming and another pair for music.

Do the 325is provide a soundstage good for immersion / positioning that would benefit gaming/movies, while still being top notch for classical and rock music? Thanks.

AD900 will suit your needs best, I think, but if you are willing to try Grados anyway, I think you'll like them.

You can try improving bass and soundstage with some cotton sheet material like this:

3456456.jpg

You can add more layers for more effect. It will help if the peaky highs bother you or if they have an uncomfortable fit. No glue or anything else required.

Personally though, I don't need extra bass so stock is my favorite configuration.
I've got an AD700 if I want to game anyway, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back