The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Dec 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #1,621 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Presto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to add your serial number, found under the pads
atsmile.gif

Another member commented that the wires keep getting tangled, that never happens to me any more as I take them off my head and place them directly on a stand without ever rotating the cups; I was wondering if perhaps that member was taking his phone out and about? I use mine at home only, I have a sr60 and 80 for out and about, and those wires sometimes get tangled. I found that keeping those around my neck/ on my head 24/7 keeps the wires untangled though
L3000.gif

That sort of treatment shouldn't be necessary and amounts to a design flaw in the Grado line, but you know, I do appreciate that perfection in things like these will not happen.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #1,622 of 3,640
OK there are so many pages on here, just wanting to know what is the difference between 325is and RS1? have not heard the latter, but i was impressed with 325is through Cary Xciter tube amp, to my ears better than solid state.
So real question is what is the main diff ?

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #1,623 of 3,640
Search, there's enough to go on. SR325is is a 95% RS1 with aluminum cups, purportedly. I have not yet heard an RS1 myself, but I've read over and over again they are a tab bit more Sennheiser-like, which I am not all that fond of. Too much variety in opinions about Grados, really, but I think it can probably be safely said that they are not that much better. Then the price difference
eek.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #1,624 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rasmushorn, I plan to order the Lisa RS as soon as it goes on sale : given that its a desktop version of the Lisa III, I am interested in your thoughts on the Lisa with the 325. I've read so many opinions on various amps, but the Lisa has that rare combination of small form factor (for my bedside rig) and power : the other alternative was the Stello, but thats still larger than I prefer, and would be more expensive here in Oz than the Lisa.

Of the few amplifiers I have owned the LISA is the best allrounder - and the one I have kept. With SR325 the detail-level, microdetails and the very BLACK background is fantastic. The soundstage from this pair is simply just great. Bass has that slam and punch known in the SR325 and the LISA brings this out clearly. I would say that the LISA definitely makes SR325 better in every way.

I can not say if this will apply to all music genres? I listen most to jazz of all kinds and electronica. But with these genres the SR325+LISA is my favourite setup.

I have heard a few other amplifiers which are better with the SR325 and one made a big impressions on me and that was the Sugden Headmaster. I also heard the Headamp GS-X but it was not able to compete with Sugden Headmaster as a match for SR325. (That is if slamming tight bass, microdetails and in-your-face sound is what you are looking for.)

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,625 of 3,640
Thanks for that. The Headmaster costs almost 3 times as much as the LISA here. I also want the small form factor, so its a no-brainer for me. The black background is one of the things that really impressed me with the Stello HP100, fwiw, and I had the good fortune to audition that with both the Grados and my high impedance K601.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #1,626 of 3,640
I like the LISA III so much and portability is great. I can bring it to the caravan when we go there. I might also upgrade to the RS when it becomes possible to order it... :)

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #1,627 of 3,640
For what it's worth, I just purchased a pair of the 325is, serial #1240. One of the qualities differentiating the 325is and the RS1 while listening at the dealer was the more relaxed top end of the RS1. While I can't afford the RS1 right now, I thought there were enough really fine qualities to the 325is that I bought the demo pair (the only pair he had in stock). The dealer said that even this pair was only a few weeks old and hadn't been played much at all. As there hadn't been much breaking in done at the store, I'm wondering if the top end of the 325is loses that taut, edginess with break-in? If so, by how much? It's almost too much at times right now.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #1,628 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I just purchased a pair of the 325is, serial #1240. One of the qualities differentiating the 325is and the RS1 while listening at the dealer was the more relaxed top end of the RS1. While I can't afford the RS1 right now, I thought there were enough really fine qualities to the 325is that I bought the demo pair (the only pair he had in stock). The dealer said that even this pair was only a few weeks old and hadn't been played much at all. As there hadn't been much breaking in done at the store, I'm wondering if the top end of the 325is loses that taut, edginess with break-in? If so, by how much? It's almost too much at times right now.

Are you using an amp with it and if so, which one?

My amp sort of snaps the SR325is to attention.... there's a distinct punchiness, tightening and extending of the bass, there is more sound separation with improved dynamics, and the highs are tamed (less tinny and fizzy). Wonderful stuff.... unless you're listening to some rock CD's where the rhythm guitar thrashing is pretty high pitched or dominates the sound. OTOH, jazz, classical, R&B etc. are quite something to listen to. Hardly any background colouration to the sound. I guess that's what we mean by transparent?

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #1,629 of 3,640
I'm using a Millett DIY tube hybrid amp I bought from someone on the list who used it with Grados and is tubed to match. The rest of the frequency spectrum seems to be fine and has actually improved using the headphones over the last 24 hours (since I brought them home). It's when they're pushed that I'm hearing it. I hear it with some female vocal jazz, but it's most prominent when I hear a louder tutti brass section.

You didn't say what result you heard from breaking them in. Can you address my question?

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #1,630 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't say what result you heard from breaking them in. Can you address my question?

I can't say that I heard much difference with burn-in. So far, the Grado's don't seem to change significantly with burn-in. This isn't the case with the Ed8's at all. However, I can't say that I've heard any significant change with the SR325is.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #1,631 of 3,640
I think I have heard, even in 24 hours, some loosening and filling out of the bottom end, and a bit more clarity to the midrange. Unfortunately, my most high fidelity source, my turntable, is down due to a motor problem. The motor is getting fixed. I'll have a better gauge when I get that back.

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #1,632 of 3,640
I miss how hot the highs and mids were out-of-the-box. Bah.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #1,633 of 3,640
In my experience the 325is respond quite markedly to equipment. I have had mine a couple of months now and had, until recently, been running them straight out of a duet. I found it to be quite fatiguing listening to this combo as the duet pushes out a detailed, accurate and 'serious' (read: cold) presentation, and this seemed very noticeable on the grados, at the top end. This would, after long listening, leave me thinking that the highs were a bit much. However, I have found that putting an amp (little dot I+) in the chain has made a huge difference - i'd challenge anyone to fault the highs! I think that any amp that warms up the mids and smooths out the highs really does unlock the potential of these headphones.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #1,634 of 3,640
I got a pair of 325is (#2210) from my in-laws for Christmas. I don't understand the Grado bass bashing I've read so much about. Been listening to them from a Xbox360 plugged into a bottom of the line pioneer receiver. Maybe that combo is extra dark? I usually listen from my computer but don't have a mini adapter yet. When I get the adapter, I'll be able to make a better comparison. For now though, there seems to be very well defined base. I was also somewhat concerned about shrilly highs but that too sounds good. Guess the 325 is my cup of tea. Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip really rocks with them!

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #1,635 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by fixedcan218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a pair of 325is (#2210) from my in-laws for Christmas. I don't understand the Grado bass bashing I've read so much about. Been listening to them from a Xbox360 plugged into a bottom of the line pioneer receiver. Maybe that combo is extra dark? I usually listen from my computer but don't have a mini adapter yet. When I get the adapter, I'll be able to make a better comparison. For now though, there seems to be very well defined base. I was also somewhat concerned about shrilly highs but that too sounds good. Guess the 325 is my cup of tea. Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip really rocks with them!

Welcome aboard and happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back