The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #1,396 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you too, SemiAudiophile. This is really good to know, and if I don't buckle and buy the RS1 out of burning curiosity, I have you to thank for saving me hundreds. Seriously though, that was a very informative comparison. Thanks again for taking the time to respond in such detail.

I just got myself the RS2i. I've started listening without any burn in period and like the SR325is it sounds great from the start. The sound is remarkably similar, though the RS2i is has less of that characteristic SR325is sparkle. The RS2i sound is also just a touch warmer. I really like them both, a LOT.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #1,398 of 3,640
I just recently did one of the mods documented in another thread but which should be included here as well. It's a modification that has dealt with the driver housing height adjustment being loose enough to allow drift when hanging my Grado's up between use or even while using them. I went with obtaining some 1/8" shaft collars that work perfectly at preventing unwanted drift.

Here's a pic:

SR325is-mod.jpg

I personally purchased the shaft collars off Amazon for US$2.73.

Thought others might be interested.

The RS2i's will likely not require the same mod since the driver housings are so much lighter.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #1,399 of 3,640
Just got mine! They are the new 325is. What an improvement over my old SR60! S/N #1241

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #1,400 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently did one of the mods documented in another thread but which should be included here as well. It's a modification that has dealt with the driver housing height adjustment being loose enough to allow drift when hanging my Grado's up between use or even while using them. I went with obtaining some 1/8" shaft collars that work perfectly at preventing unwanted drift.

I personally purchased the shaft collars off Amazon for US$2.73.

Thought others might be interested.

The RS2i's will likely not require the same mod since the driver housings are so much lighter.

awesome find. i will probably use this on the HF2, since mines is a little loose on the right side and it'll be good to use on the magnum as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

how do you install these btw? is it easy or do you have to take apart a few things?

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #1,401 of 3,640
Semi-audiophile,

It's just a matter of taking off the black caps on the adjustable support bars, slide the support bar right out. Fit a collar on, slide the support bar back in, add another collar and then replace the cap. Do your adjustments and tighten the collars ... done! It took me a couple minutes to do.

I couldn't pull the cap off with a finger. I eventually used the bottle stopper remover of my Swiss army knife to just push (more than lever) them off. I did my best not to use the driver housing as the counter push lest I pulled loose the support rod from the driver housing!
ph34r.gif

If you want something more involved, try the Markl mod on the D5000. Now that the D5000's have not been doing much work, I decided to try the MarkL mod. I didn't do all of it since one of the steps was way too intricate for me. I tried and failed.
frown.gif
Made a very nice difference though. A very audible and nice difference.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #1,403 of 3,640
It's surprising how just taking like a dinner knife (dull), placing the tip under the cap while the knife is perpendicular to the shaft and just levering up... pop ... mine just flew off. I was surprised how easy it was considering how they wouldn't budge when I pulled at them.

As to practice... Extremely. I was getting annoyed with the drift of the driver and the mod utterly eliminated the issue and in an aesthetic fashion.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #1,404 of 3,640
Be careful with what you use to pry off those black caps. On my SR80's, I left marks on them. It took me forever to get those things off. Not all black caps are made equally. Out of the 4 caps I removed (from the SR80 and SR325i), 2 of them came off fairly easily but the other 2 took forever.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #1,407 of 3,640
thanks... both output very good SQ though slightly different presentation ... most perceivable difference was on low frequency wherein Grado Alessandro ms2i has a bit more amount of tightly controlled bass ... sr325iS slightly better on the other extreme wherein highs slightly extended without offending my ears... mids were almost equal wherein one is better than the other on certain songs i listen to... no listener's fatigue on both... hence, i like them both
wink.gif

btw, i use Grado soft/comfy pads on all my Grado/Alessandro headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back