The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Jul 6, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #1,291 of 3,640
Certain little dot amps also set output stage's NFB through their gin switches, in an attempt to achieve the cleanest signal and proper impedance match for a wide array of cans. I recommend that everyone with this option tries both ways and makes a decision from there...

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #1,292 of 3,640
I've found out that the gain 7 (medium impedance) on the Little Dot MKII is the best match for my Grado SR325is. It seems that on this setting, it's the perfect amount of warm tube coloration while the sometimes sharp highs are now nicely smoothed out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #1,293 of 3,640
HI fellow SR325-owners....

I havn't been able to find any other Grado to satisfy my ears like the SR325i. So I thought I should give the HF-2 a shot. The PS-1000 is out of my league anyway.

Has any other SR325i-lovers bought the HF-2 - and what is your reaction to is so far?

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,294 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found out that the gain 7 (medium impedance) on the Little Dot MKII is the best match for my Grado SR325is. It seems that on this setting, it's the perfect amount of warm tube coloration while the sometimes sharp highs are now nicely smoothed out.
smily_headphones1.gif

What sort of tubes are yo running on the MKII, Azathoth? I'll soon have a permanent pair of SR-325is's and would very much like a LD tube amp to go with them. Pretty new to the "tube" idea. Need to figure out sources for aftermarket upgrades and what this "rolling" thing is all about...

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #1,295 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I havn't been able to find any other Grado to satisfy my ears like the SR325i. So I thought I should give the HF-2 a shot. The PS-1000 is out of my league anyway.

Has any other SR325i-lovers bought the HF-2 - and what is your reaction to is so far?

I'm interested to hear this as well. The HF-2 threads are too daunting for me to wade through. I just want to know how they sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
They look stunning.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,296 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i shall be receiving my formula one pair soon. so far, many have favored them over the RS1's and they're supposedly the "darker" sounding grado.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #1,297 of 3,640
I could not resist it any longer. I ordered the HF-2. I am looking forward to see how different it is from the 325i.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #1,298 of 3,640
heh, congrats and prepare for the agonizing wait. i ordered on the 15th of May, but haven't received them yet. should be shipping on friday though. anyone that's thinking of getting a pair should order it now! they're an extremely good value for the price and there's only about 50 or so pairs left.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #1,299 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, prepare for the agonizing wait. i ordered on the 15th of May, but haven't received them yet. should be shipping on friday though.
wink.gif

Ahh - that will be allright. In fact I am hoping they will not ship it within the next 4 weeks as I will be away for the summer - nobody will be at home to recieve it. So getting back for work again in August the F1 or the SR325i will be my companions for a long rainy F1-fall...
gs1000.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #1,301 of 3,640
I've used my 325i's with an LD I+ with 408A's and the LT op amp. Love it.

Enough that I am on the HF2 list...

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #1,302 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sort of tubes are yo running on the MKII, Azathoth? I'll soon have a permanent pair of SR-325is's and would very much like a LD tube amp to go with them. Pretty new to the "tube" idea. Need to figure out sources for aftermarket upgrades and what this "rolling" thing is all about...

Just the stock tubes that come with the LD MKII, the 6JI and the 6N6. My amp now has about 60 hours of burn-in time on them, there's definitely a difference for the better compared to right out of the box.

From reading the Little Tube forums, gain 10 would be best for low impedance headphones such as the SR325is, but I prefer the sonic signature of gain 7.
normal_smile .gif

I'm also pretty much a noob when it comes to tube rolling, but some other fellow local owners of the LD MKII claim that Russia tubes are an excellent upgrade.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #1,303 of 3,640
Has anyone used their 325i's with the Little Dot MKIV? I'm thinking of an amp upgrade soon.

I tried using the search I didn't find anything. So I thought I'd ask here.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #1,304 of 3,640
I've been following this thread for a while now and just wanted to pop in and join other 325i(s) owners.

I just bought a pair of 325is's (#890) and am listening to them right now. My first impressions are that they look and feel muchhh better than the SR60s I sold a while back. I knew the cord was only marginally improved but I'm not thrilled to see it still basically sucks. And it's short! With my K601s the cord is almost too long and with these, its perhaps too short.

As for people who thought they were heavy, I can't say I agree. They feel just right and compared to the flat pads on the SR60s, the bowls are much more comfortable.

In terms of the sound, I'm not sure yet. I remember thinking when I sold the SR60s that I had mistakenly sold my fun pair of headphones and left myself with the K601s which seemed to suck the life out of some music. I'm still trying different music to begin appreciating the differences between the 325is' and the K601s but they definitely are more enjoyable in a lot of respects, especially with rock-type music (which everyone already knows).

Overall, I'm happy for the most part and I'm sure they will get a little bit better over time (Headroom sold them as an open-box so I imagine whoever bought them didnt keep them very long) but at the moment I still need to play around and begin listening to a lot of my newer music again to see what I'd been missing.

Also, for those interested, I'm using them with an Original Master amp I bought off a member a while back. I know people use them with tube amps but I'm broke so this set-up will have to do for now.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #1,305 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just the stock tubes that come with the LD MKII, the 6JI and the 6N6. My amp now has about 60 hours of burn-in time on them, there's definitely a difference for the better compared to right out of the box.

From reading the Little Tube forums, gain 10 would be best for low impedance headphones such as the SR325is, but I prefer the sonic signature of gain 7.
normal_smile .gif

I'm also pretty much a noob when it comes to tube rolling, but some other fellow local owners of the LD MKII claim that Russia tubes are an excellent upgrade.

I just started rolling tubes on my LD mkIII after about 75 hours on the Stock GEs - what a blast. I bought the Russian VOSHOD 6ZH1P-EV / 6AK5 NOS tubes and can tell you they sound amazing. Incredible difference from the stocks - I was shocked at how apparent it is. Yesterday I ordered Mullard 8161s which are highly recommended. My 325is' have never sounded better.

This was originally the opposite but recent updates to the LD literature indicates/suggests Hi Gain (which I have my amp on now) for phones like the Grados. It is all preference but at hi-gain - I listen to my 325s at about 11-12 o'clock max (and my k701s at 2-ish). Regardless - 325s and the tubes really are heavenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back