The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #1,246 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i suggest you give the 325i's a little more time. a lot of it has to do with proper amping to take away the shrillness and screeching highs. you should also try the hd414 pads. i like my 325i's as much as i do with the rs1's. it may not be as refined but it does provide a different flavor.
wink.gif

I'm pretty sure the RA1 amp would classify as "proper" amping. It does help, but next to the RS1s, I would never really listen to them again.

May 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #1,247 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Presto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this sr325 on ebay, something doesn't look quite right. Is somebody trying to pull a fast one?

eBay link

A plastic body from the previous series, gold lettering, black grill and a 325 button
confused_face.gif
eek.gif

D'oh

Seller did put up the specs of the current 325is.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #1,250 of 3,640
Just got my 325is today S/N 1000.Had them on for two hours,just one more cd!!.EH!.Very smooth and detailed,but darker than my 80i,s still i will see what 50 hrs will do .Must try and turn it off before the tubes melt.Cheers All.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #1,251 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my 325is today S/N 1000.Had them on for two hours,just one more cd!!.EH!.Very smooth and detailed,but darker than my 80i,s still i will see what 50 hrs will do .Must try and turn it off before the tubes melt.Cheers All.
tongue_smile.gif

You've discovered the 325i's smooth mids. Congrats.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #1,252 of 3,640
i made an interesting discovery with the 325i's. the sound depends a whole lot on the type of pads you use. they sound the best with new/fresh bowls and 2nd best with the 414 pads (reversed). i've been using the 414 pads a lot and grown to like them because they bring out the mids more while taming the highs and having a nice bass. when switching to used/worn and washed bowls i noticed that while the soundstage increased a bit, the highs were harsh. i changed the bowls to newer bowls i swapped from my RS1i and the sound improved a lot. highs were tamed, soundstage was good, and you can hear better details. my guess is that the newer bowls retain the sound better, though i haven't noticed a big difference when using used/new bowls with the RS1i. worn bowls get uncomfortable easily also with the 325i's because of the heavier cups. so my suggestion is to replace your bowls regularly with the 325i's for the best sound.

also the 414 pads seem to be more forgiving of your source material. i couldn't tell if i was listening to a mp3 or not with them because it still sounded good. but with bowls they were different i can hear the nuances and everything.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #1,253 of 3,640
I've been a proud 325i (gold) owner for a few months now, after snagging them off Craigslist for $150! I had just purchased a pair of 225's, but couldn't resist upgrading after seeing that price. Serial number is #7209.

My Shure SE530's don't get much playtime anymore since getting the Grado's, except when I'm traveling. Just love that Grado sound (also currently have a pair of SR80's for the office and previously have owned the SR125 and SR225's before getting the 325i's)..

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #1,254 of 3,640
I'm still curious to hear the thoughts of someone who's had both the 325i and the 325is. Wondering if there's much if any difference in the sound. I know theoretically there probably shouldn't be but you never know...

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #1,256 of 3,640
Checking in with a new pair of silver 325is', s/n 925. It also looks like it could be 425 but it appears to make more sense as a 925 based on other's serial numbers.

Can anyone point me to a good thread on taking the button off and what it does to the sound (if anything)?

Also - does anyone know of someone that went to the time and expense to have their 325 'phones chrome-plated? I know it's funny...I just look at them and think that they'd look killer chrome plated!

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #1,257 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also - does anyone know of someone that went to the time and expense to have their 325 'phones chrome-plated? I know it's funny...I just look at them and think that they'd look killer chrome plated!

Eeek. I'm not sure aluminum can be chrome plated, especially aluminum that's been anodized.

I like 'em the way they look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #1,258 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eeek. I'm not sure aluminum can be chrome plated, especially aluminum that's been anodized.

I like 'em the way they look.
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a process that works for aluminum...fairly certain. I might just send them to Drew at Moon to have them re-anodized a different color...

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #1,259 of 3,640
Hi Guys and Gals,
#2673 here reporting in.

I saw some comments about Grado Jumbo Replacement Pads. But this thread is getting too wild and crazy to find a quick opinion on them on 325i s. As I type this, I just realized, I'll just buy them and figure out for myself if I like em.

smily_headphones1.gif

Happy Listening!
Mike p~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back