The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #1,216 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort isn't a problem for me with either of these cans. I'd be very hard pressed to choose between them, though.
tongue.gif

Indeed - some days are Sennheiser days, some are Grado days. I like having the HD600s AND the Grados - and I purposely got them to compliment each other through their contrast - does that make sense?
smily_headphones1.gif
Style/genre of music and sometimes even the recording itself also have a bearing on which cans I reach for.

As for comfort, I've found that as the bowls age they start to get less comfortable, putting more pressure on the ears. Since I wear glasses at night, that's what I use as a gauge for when to replace the bowls - when my glasses start hurting!

May 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #1,217 of 3,640
I just received my 325is' today! I'm back with Grado after a brief absence. I got them from a fellow Head-fi'er with 3 hrs on them. Sweet!

Mine are #996. They sound great. I'll do a review from my Blackberry soon. :)

I have two pair of bowls. So I tried the tape mod. All I say is 'eh'.

More to come soon!

Peace,

Ross

May 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,218 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my Silver 325is yesterday #902

I have to start off by saying I have never experienced the Grado sound prior to these headphones arriving. I listen to mainly Rock/Classic Rock/Alternative/Electronic, and based on the conjecture, I had to give these a try. I was expecting bleeding ears, and for the sound to a be extremely bright right out of the box.
I have to say, I am an official fan of the Grado sound. I don't know if the 325is sounds different than the 325i, but these were absolutely wonderful right out of the box. I can't wait for 100 hours of burn-in to pass. I like the fact that I can enjoy them while they're burning in. I finally achieved an "Ear-Gasim". Yes, I said it. "Ear-Gasim". My search is finally over. This happened while listening to the Beatles "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" as well as Neil Young's "Old Man". It's only going to get better. I couldn't get over the finely rich detailed clarity, and just enough bass to get me moving. Being able to experience all my music from a new perspective. I was so captivated by these phones. I may not be a true audiophile, but I know how to appreciate good music when I hear it through these phones. I no longer have that feeling of regret after spending $300 on these Grados. They are worth every penny. Most likely, my next purchase will be "solid-state" headphone amp. Apparently I was told the tube amp angle, maybe too complex for me, and too expensive. Right now, I'm using the 325is on a C&C XO portable headphone amp, and I am very pleased.

For the ones that are intrigued by the reputation, but are concerned about them being too bright or uncomfortable, you must give them a try, especially if you enjoy Rock/Classic Rock/Alternative/Electronic. Even Moby's "Ooh Yeah" sounded unlike I've never heard it, with such clarity.

These headphones didn't bother me too much. They aren't the most comfortable, but they weren't too uncomfortable either. I wore them for 3 hours last night, till I had to to bed. Anyway, I am simple guy who just really really really really enjoyed these headphones, and I can't just give them enough praise. It's the same feeling I got when I switched over to the Mac a few years ago.

Glad to hear you like them. After about 200 hours any harshness will disappear and they will sound a lot smoother. I really love my Grado SR325is headphones too. I've also owned the SR125 and SR225 and must say that the SR325is are the best bang for your buck in the Grado line up.

My amp is the Grado RA1 coupled with a DAC Straight (by Hotaudio) and together they are magic.

Cheers.

May 14, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #1,219 of 3,640
I just made an idiotic discovery. I hooked my C&C XO portable amp up to my Mac Pro's line-out. My 325is sounds a HELL of a lot better than from my iPhone 3G. I didn't realize what huge difference the source makes. I mean it's all lossless music on both. I feel like dumb ass for not trying it sooner. It kind of makes me sad, because I really wanted my iPhone to be my primary source. I wanted to be able to move around the house with it. And can't really enjoy these in bed now with my iPhone, knowing that they sound better being hooked up to the computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my 325is' today! I'm back with Grado after a brief absence. I got them from a fellow Head-fi'er with 3 hrs on them. Sweet!

Mine are #996. They sound great. I'll do a review from my Blackberry soon. :)

I have two pair of bowls. So I tried the tape mod. All I say is 'eh'.

More to come soon!

Peace,

Ross

Ross, Congrats on your 325is. Was your Grado cherry popped as well?
Does the tape mod actually make a difference on the 325is? I can't imagine it making a bit of difference on the bass, although it would be nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations f00fighters,

325i was my first Grado and I love them. They get much better with burn-in, so keep listening.

BTW, I am waiting for my RS1s to arrive in the mail and this waiting is killing me.

Cheers.

Phaedrus67

I can't imagine how awsome the RS1 must sound. I cannot justify the expense at this point in time. Please let me know how it turns out. Compare and contrast with the 325is. I know I'm going to have these for a long time, unless my wife finds out how much I actually spent on them.

May 14, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #1,220 of 3,640
Got 325i a week ago.
I'm in the process of getting rid of headphones and keeping the ones I like.
I think my grado is staying! Loving the sound!
Another late production SR325i with Serial #9348.

May 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #1,222 of 3,640
It seems like the tape mod would bring about a "semi-closed" quality to the sound.

I've owned the SR-225, SR-325i, SR-60 and SR-80--in that order, but have never tried the "tape mod." Reading this thread is tempting me to pick up another set of Grados! : )

May 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #1,223 of 3,640
I find that the tape mod is unneeded for the 325i, but helps with the light bass of the SR80s.

May 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #1,224 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the tape mod is unneeded for the 325i, but helps with the light bass of the SR80s.

so in other words the "tape mod" is useless for the 325is because it makes no difference? Good to know. Is there anyway to improve the bass a bit more without sacrificing the clarity/detail of the highs/mids? I've heard bout "Flats" as a possible alternative. Any ideas/suggestions?

*note I've burned-in my 325is's for 69 hours and counting.

May 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,225 of 3,640
The tape mod does make quite a big difference to the bass on 325i's. Sound becomes more closed in also. Suppose its personal preference if you like the sound or not.

May 15, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #1,226 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybob79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tape mod does make quite a big difference to the bass on 325i's. Sound becomes more closed in also. Suppose its personal preference if you like the sound or not.

BillyBob, you're absolutely right. I just tried it with black electrical tape. The bass does somewhat increase, but it gives that closed feeling, which is unacceptable. I feel it takes away from the clarity and takes away too much of the brightness for me.

May 15, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #1,227 of 3,640
Quote:

BillyBob, you're absolutely right. I just tried it with black electrical tape. The bass does somewhat increase, but it gives that closed feeling, which is unacceptable. I feel it takes away from the clarity and takes away too much of the brightness for me.

I really like the sound of the 325is. I've experienced some unacceptable quality issues though, RMA's are in motion. I'm working with a great vendor, so hopefully I'll have a pair of 325is that are keepers soon...
wink_face.gif

May 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #1,229 of 3,640
Quote:

so in other words the "tape mod" is useless for the 325is because it makes no difference? Good to know. Is there anyway to improve the bass a bit more without sacrificing the clarity/detail of the highs/mids? I've heard bout "Flats" as a possible alternative. Any ideas/suggestions?

*note I've burned-in my 325is's for 69 hours and counting.

Sorry, I should have said "in my opinion".
smily_headphones1.gif
IMO, the 325i has more than enough bass for the music I listen to, and the tape mod just bloated the bass a tad. However, it's a superbly reversible mod, so you can feel free to try it and make your own conclusions.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #1,230 of 3,640
Owner #3181 here (325i). I've had mine for a couple of years and used the headamp
out of an Benchmark DAC1. Made me wonder if either was broken - the sound was
far too bright & harsh. I've now bought a Firestone LCiii tube headamp. Now they're
playing music
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back