The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 7, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #1,186 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to portable amp for the 325s, or any grado, just skip it. Put the money towards a stationary DAC and amp if you've got money to spare for an upgrade.

Agreed. Mine didn't benefit much from a portable, but gained a noticeable amount of dynamics and control from a proper desktop, even a Headroom Micro like mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #1,187 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by tret /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I picked up #567 325is this weekend at a small shop in San Francisco. Really enjoying them so far. I am a bit of a newb with this stuff but I am finding this forum to be a great resource so far.

I am using these exclusively on my PC for mp3 and lossless music and a bit of gaming. I would like to pick up a good DAC/amp combo and am willing to spend 200-400. Any suggestions from those of you with the 325's and a similar setup?

Rob

Save up a tiny bit and get the HR Micro, and complete it as a stack at a later date by adding the DAC. The main benefit of Headroom gear I find is that besides being pretty decent equipment in their own right, they are very flexible in the cans they sound good with. The main drawback... mini connections as opposed to RCA. I love the Ultra Micro DAC combo with the 325i and some good, detailed recordings like Infected Mushroom.

May 7, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #1,188 of 3,640
New owner of a Grado SR325is here, #504. They do sound really bright out of the box (granted, I was coming from a Senn HD650) but after about 80 hours of burn-in it has subsided and the bass comes out more. Iron Maiden and Megadeth have never sounded better, I love how they let you hear all the details. It must also be said the guitar distortion sounds do righteous on these. My only gripe so far is that the bowls are quite irritating after an hour, I'll prolly have to try comfies/flats/HD414 pads on them...which ones are the best?

I can't wait to hear what these sound like after 200 hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #1,191 of 3,640
Everybody's different. Probably because everyone's head and ears are shaped differently. I think bowls are the most comfortable. I just haven't tried comfies.

May 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #1,193 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbang819 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also the option of c-pads from headphile.

I tried C-Pads and they were comfortable but they changed the sound too much...they de-Grado'd my Grado's. Comfies are nice and don't muck up the sound. For the purest Grado sound I go with bowls. For max bass I go flats.

May 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,194 of 3,640
I will be part of the Grado family as well. My 325is will arrive this coming Tuesday (May 12th). I'm very excited, and I'm already thinking I should have paid the extra for overnight shipping. I've never experienced the Grado sound, but apparently from what many are saying, they suit my tastes. I am going to be running these on a portable C&C XO amp that I got from headb.com. I hope that will be a good combination. I'm also a bit fearful of people are saying about the fit. Am I going to have bleeding ears?

So am I to understand that Grado has not released any spec changes nor disclosed any information regarding the updated 325is (other than the obvious color change)? I've heard from some, that the bass is a bit more the in the 325is. I guess that's psychological b.s.? I want a definite answer! I'm losing sleep at night in such anticipation their arrival.

May 8, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #1,195 of 3,640
Really hope they live up to your expectations.

Grados have in general a little comfort issue (excluding GS1000), but it's nothing critical in my opinion. Then again it should be mentioned that the 325 in my experience is a particularly bad one. Other pads than the stock bowls might improve, but just the weight of the cups and the loose fit makes them a little uncomfortable.

May 8, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #1,196 of 3,640
This is going to sound stupid, but where do I get a pink noise mp3 from, so I can burn-in the 325is's. How much burn-in should I give them? And should I only use pink noise to burn them in, or a combination of music as well?

May 8, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #1,197 of 3,640
Search google for pink noise mp3 and you should be able to find it. I don't have the exact link.

I broke in my 325i's with a combination of pink noise and bass heavy music. Honestly though, I don't really think it matters that much. People say different things.

May 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #1,199 of 3,640
I had before the SR80 and when i bought the SR325i I was afraid about the comfort because you read a lot about the weight of the SR325i. I guess everybody experience this different because I have no problem comfort wise with the SR325i. I also find them not too heavy. I recently bought for traveling the ATH-M50 and those I find for long listening not too comfortable. Funny I did not read about this point much, whereas fr grados you find so much about comfort...

May 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #1,200 of 3,640
Personally I found the 325is MORE comfortable than my previous Grados - so, once again, more proof for 'your mileage may vary'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back