The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 23, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #661 of 3,640
My 325i's just arrived via Hawaii, an older number it seems but are in perfect condition. To tell the truth I wasn't expecting a big step up from my trusty ol' SR-80s, but wow, very impressed. The first thing I noticed was soundstage, distinct soundstage (for Grado at least) with very nice imaging. I would describe it as a very intimate sound. As though one is in the middle of the music. With the SR-80s, I always felt as though I was listening to very good speakers. With the 325s, the headphones disappear (despite the weight) into the music experience.

May 25, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #664 of 3,640
wow 1102, thats early production compared to the others. Let me know your experiences with them, and what amps you use
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #665 of 3,640
wow 1102, thats early production compared to the others.

Yeh, upon reflection I thought that too. Although I've had my 325i's for a while, 1102 did seem a bit early so I got out their box and in actual fact i'm only #2011. Makes me wonder if I've been listening to 'em upside down all these years
wink.gif

Joking apart, they great headphones and even after a couple of years I'm still blown away by how good they sound. I've been content using them paired with the Gilmore Lite + Pwr Supply / Van den Hull 'The Source' combo with a variety of sources and have managed to keep my head-fi addiction under control as a consequence.

May 26, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #666 of 3,640
Just to annoy you, check out the Zhaolu 2.5, Zero and Beresford. Try to find the differences, and search for a head-to-head comparison
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #667 of 3,640
New to the Forum-I have got #6203-- I maybe got 15 hours on em. They sound fabtabulous. just got done listening to some Andrew Bird(friggin unreal). What's with the tape mod, that boost the low freq's? can someone give me a link to that? I have got some Ultrasones coming in the mail (HFI-700's) -anybody know how these will compare to my Grado's?

May 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #669 of 3,640
Did I say something wrong?

May 31, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #671 of 3,640
Do 325i's need an amp? I'm looking to purchase one, and I might not have the funds to purchase a decent amp. I'm not sure, can the 325i's be driven from "Realtek HD Audio" that came with my computer? Thanks guys.

May 31, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #672 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do 325i's need an amp? I'm looking to purchase one, and I might not have the funds to purchase a decent amp. I'm not sure, can the 325i's be driven from "Realtek HD Audio" that came with my computer? Thanks guys.

looking at impedence of 32 ohms, most people would say no.
However my view is little different.

Although 325is sound good out of portable mp3 player, I felt that using an amp changes SQ enough to recommend it. While cheap cmoy or portable amp may not have a huge difference, I felt that tube/hybrid amp tends to tame the highs if 325i's harsh highs (although I like to say edgy
smily_headphones1.gif
) while improving bass response.

Grab 325is first, if you haven't done so already, and worry about the amp later. I use DIY millet hybrid with dDB and it's a great combo. Patabird reports having great success with BADA PH-12 and tube rolling, which I probably will try later on.

hope that helps
wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #673 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking at impedence of 32 ohms, most people would say no.
However my view is little different.

Although 325is sound good out of portable mp3 player, I felt that using an amp changes SQ enough to recommend it. While cheap cmoy or portable amp may not have a huge difference, I felt that tube/hybrid amp tends to tame the highs if 325i's harsh highs (although I like to say edgy
smily_headphones1.gif
) while improving bass response.

Grab 325is first, if you haven't done so already, and worry about the amp later. I use DIY millet hybrid with dDB and it's a great combo. Patabird reports having great success with BADA PH-12 and tube rolling, which I probably will try later on.

hope that helps
wink.gif

Thanks! Just gotta make a thread in the FS forums now. Can't even afford new ones :'(. Being 15 sucks, haha. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up an amp around Christmas time.
wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #674 of 3,640
When I was 15 I couldn't afford these. You are lucky.
smily_headphones1.gif

They benefit from tube amplification....I use Little Dot's. The highs get smooth and liquidlike.

Off topic: I just saw a very disturbing pic on the first post of this thread... 325i's underwater in a pool, without their pads. What lol?! Don't you guys know they can't swim yet? Once Grado turns 60, then they have a fighting chance.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: maybe this is a tweak? I mean, talk about liquidlike!!!!!

May 31, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #675 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Just gotta make a thread in the FS forums now. Can't even afford new ones :'(. Being 15 sucks, haha. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up an amp around Christmas time.
wink.gif

considering that I picked up Millet hybrid in this FS forum for 140$, it won't be that hard
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back