The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
May 21, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3,496 of 3,640
  Hi guys, how can i identify exactly this 325 grados? are they 325, 325i, 325 is or 325e?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzV5MKVbQE4qbUIydkNKZjh4cnc&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzV5MKVbQE4qbUtFNGJRVG5TblU&authuser=0

thanks for any help!

David

Think those are the 325is. Not e as that has a 1/8th jack and the thicker cable came in with the is. Also chrome was is if I'm not mistaken.

May 21, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,498 of 3,640
  Hi guys, how can i identify exactly this 325 grados? are they 325, 325i, 325 is or 325e?
thanks for any help!

David

They are the (is) model which first came out in 2009 in Silver (Aluminum) finish.
The Chrome finish was only available from 6/2011- 9/2011.
Then the powder coated Metal Flake Silver was released afterwards for the 325is since…and I believe the 325 (e) series is also powder coated Metal Flake Silver (I've never seen one for myself).

May 21, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #3,501 of 3,640
Strange thing is, I owned the chrome 325is version in 2012 and found them totally shrieky/harsh sounding, they were too much for me so I sold them. Now I own a 2014 325is and they sound beautiful. Not sure if my ears changed or the phones did.

May 21, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,502 of 3,640
  They are the (is) model which first came out in 2009 in Silver (Aluminum) finish.
The Chrome finish was only available from 6/2011- 9/2011.
Then the powder coated Metal Flake Silver was released afterwards for the 325is since…and I believe the 325 (e) series is also powder coated Metal Flake Silver (I've never seen one for myself).

Hey Joseph, was the ''is'' simply a cosmetic thing, or did they sound different than the ''i'' model?

May 21, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #3,503 of 3,640
  Thanks you too Joseph for the precise info.

Your welcome.

Hey Joseph, was the ''is'' simply a cosmetic thing, or did they sound different than the ''i'' model?

I couldn't tell you this…I've never heard the (i) only the (is) but the (i) was for "improved" and the 325 was the only model they made in an (is) series, all the others models with the excepetion of the PS1K/500 were just (i) models so you might be correct about the (s) being just a cosmetic change. I don't know why the (s) was added, but I would like to know myself. Anyone?

May 22, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #3,505 of 3,640
The SR325i were golden and I think I have read somewhere (or my memory imagines it...), the "s" in the "is" stands for silver. But I have never heard the SR325is. Between the SR325i and the SR325e is more than cosmetic change. The SR325i is more direct, I like the midsmuch better. Overall I prefer them to the SR325e.

May 22, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,506 of 3,640
  The SR325i were golden and I think I have read somewhere (or my memory imagines it...), the "s" in the "is" stands for silver. But I have never heard the SR325is. Between the SR325i and the SR325e is more than cosmetic change. The SR325i is more direct, I like the midsmuch better. Overall I prefer them to the SR325e.

Your right, the first 325 series were black anodized aluminum, and the first 325i were the gold 50th Anniversary, then they became (is) series, first in aluminum then powder coated metallic silver. You might be onto something with the (is) meaning silver. 

May 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,507 of 3,640
- First the 325 were made in different variations including the black anodized aluminium and black wire mesh and the plain aluminium version. Both looked quite cylindrical even if they had a small reinforced ridge at the end, somewhat similar to the current cup design, just not as wide. These look a bit funky IMO.
- Then Grado released the Golden/Champagne colored SR325I version that introduced the current design with wider a ridge/reinforcement and black wire mesh. As already mentioned these were released for the 50th anniversary and looked really classy. John is quoted saying that he felt the 325-series was the weakest link in the range, and wanting to improve that particular model. This cup design later found it's way into the rest of the lower Grado-range featuring ABS cups.
- The 325IS was a a differently tuned/improved model strangely enough belonging together with the rest of the Prestige I-series (SR60I - SR325IS), seeing as the SR325I belonged to the previous non-I generation. First they released an unfinished alu model (which I am in possession of). These were infamous for oxidizing slightly, so they introduced a "test-run" or rather a limited run of the chrome finished cups, quickly followed by the powder coated alu cups which have a slightly sparkly silver/alu color. I can't remember the exact release dates from the top of my head.
- And just recently Grado released the E-series with completely new drivers, materials and tuning etc. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing that they finally introduced the use of polymer materials instead of the crappy ABS. So far these has only been released with the powder coated alu cups.

As far as I know all models have differently tuned/designed drivers. I personally love the sound of the IS models, but the I-series are also revered for it's sound. They are said to be way more harsh/shrill sounding than the IS-series. I haven't had the chance to A/B any of the different models and have only had quality time with my 325IS.
All models not specified differently, came with stainless wire mesh.

EDIT. I personally think IS stands for Improved Second Edition rather than Improved Silver Edition. It would just sound silly to name a model after it's color, but who knows :wink:

May 22, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,508 of 3,640
   Both looked quite cylindrical even if they had a small reinforced ridge at the end, somewhat similar to the current cup design, just not as wide. These look a bit funky IMO.

EDIT. I personally think IS stands for Improved Second Edition rather than Improved Silver Edition. It would just sound silly to name a model after it's color, but who knows :wink:

I love the earlier cylindric cups, I think they look better than the mushroom/beveled cups (wish I had them).
Maybe the (is) stands for "improved sound"???

May 24, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #3,509 of 3,640
  I love the earlier cylindric cups, I think they look better than the mushroom/beveled cups (wish I had them).
Maybe the (is) stands for "improved sound"???

I'm supposed to meet with the Grado rep next week at my dealer's. I'll have to remember to bring my test CDs, to try out the SR325e.

Along with the RS2e, the SR325e are THE most appreciated of the new e serie.

Can't wait.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back