The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3,346 of 3,640

Thank you.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #3,347 of 3,640
Trust your ears diamonears, as good as the SR325 are, I think that the PS1000 are just as detailed, with deeper bass, and a wider soundstage. Of course at over four times the price, they better perfom, and they do.

Oh!, by the way, I have the oportunity to buy a pair of gold SR325i, for $175, I might be able to get them for $150. Now, assuming that they're in good codition, is that a fair price for these? 

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #3,348 of 3,640
IMO, the SR325is is the most under-appreciated of all the Grado models. The reason, I think, is its cheaper than 5 other Grado models, which gives out impressions to many that it's 5x of lesser quality. Know what I'm saying?

I think its the most accurate=transparent of all Grado's, maybe to the exception only of PS1000 (which I've only heard for a few minutes so I may even be inaccurate).

I agree, tried all Grado models from SR80 up to GS1K. 325 is like the mid point of the line up. Anything above it, the difference are too subtle to justify the price difference. A mod as simple as a cushion change or an exotic one like tape mode brings it on par with the higher end models. With the tape mod, it can have a similar bass presentation as PS500 but more detailed and extended treble. 

I have not tried the PS1000 yet but I definitely am not going to get a GS1K or RS1 since I can't hear much of a difference with 325, with the different mod, it can even sound better. Models below 325 seems to be thnner sounding and less detailed in the low end even with mods. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #3,349 of 3,640
I agree, tried all Grado models from SR80 up to GS1K. 325 is like the mid point of the line up. Anything above it, the difference are too subtle to justify the price difference. A mod as simple as a cushion change or an exotic one like tape mode brings it on par with the higher end models. With the tape mod, it can have a similar bass presentation as PS500 but more detailed and extended treble. 

I have not tried the PS1000 yet but I definitely am not going to get a GS1K or RS1 since I can't hear much of a difference with 325, with the different mod, it can even sound better. Models below 325 seems to be thnner sounding and less detailed in the low end even with mods. 
I know there's a Grado mod thread, but what are the most kind of mods you recommend?

The tape mod=putting tape all over the far/outside of the cup, making it essentially a closed-back?

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3,350 of 3,640
Trust your ears diamonears, as good as the SR325 are, I think that the PS1000 are just as detailed, with deeper bass, and a wider soundstage. Of course at over four times the price, they better perfom, and they do.

Oh!, by the way, I have the oportunity to buy a pair of gold SR325i, for $175, I might be able to get them for $150. Now, assuming that they're in good codition, is that a fair price for these? 
It's definitely on my bucket list of HPs. If I decide to buy it I would have to sell all my Grados though...

What I haven't heard not read about the PS1000 is whether or not it has the "wooded" effect of the RS1i. Does it? Is it safe to assume there's none, or at the very least minimal? Of the few minutes I listened to it, there's none at all. Do you and others find this true? So it's closer, as I suspect, to the SR325 than the woodies?

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #3,351 of 3,640
I know there's a Grado mod thread, but what are the most kind of mods you recommend?

The tape mod=putting tape all over the far/outside of the cup, making it essentially a closed-back?

YMMV, but I find the tape mod the best for me. My ears are small enough that the standard L-Cush makes the 325 an over-the-ear headphone instead of on-ear. It also makes the distance of the driver a bit farther to my ears. The tape mod is just surrounding the outer walls of the cushion with a tape and not going to make it a closed-back phone.

This mod appears to direct/funnel low frequency sound straight to your ears making the impression of full and impactful bass. With the standard cushion only it appears to scatter the soundwave and bleeds a bit out of the cushion making it sound thinner.

Putting the G-cush appears to make the sound distant and sound stage wider. But I don't like the soundstage wider than what already is offered by 325. Wider is not always better. 

Look up the article published in innerfidelity about the mods available for Grados.

I even tried the sock mod. It did increased the bass futher but pushed the treble further into the background and I think the Grado sound signature is lost. Maing it a completely different headphone.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3,352 of 3,640
YMMV, but I find the tape mod the best for me. My ears are small enough that the standard L-Cush makes the 325 an over-the-ear headphone instead of on-ear. It also makes the distance of the driver a bit farther to my ears. The tape mod is just surrounding the outer walls of the cushion with a tape and not going to make it a closed-back phone.

This mod appears to direct/funnel low frequency sound straight to your ears making the impression of full and impactful bass. With the standard cushion only it appears to scatter the soundwave and bleeds a bit out of the cushion making it sound thinner.

Putting the G-cush appears to make the sound distant and sound stage wider. But I don't like the soundstage wider than what already is offered by 325. Wider is not always better. 

Look up the article published in innerfidelity about the mods available for Grados.

I even tried the sock mod. It did increased the bass futher but pushed the treble further into the background and I think the Grado sound signature is lost. Maing it a completely different headphone.
I see. More "boom box". Try G-cushion with louder volume and I'll bet the cumulative effect would only be more bass. :)

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #3,353 of 3,640
I like the 325 being an on ear headphone. It has the effect of angled drivers and I like its effect of producing a frontal (instead of left/right) soundstage.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,354 of 3,640
I like the 325 being an on ear headphone. It has the effect of angled drivers and I like its effect of producing a frontal (instead of left/right) soundstage.
Yes, I do that occasionally also. Then just increase volume a bit to offset the more in front positioning that makes the drivers farther. For more bass, I just put the rear-outer edges of my ears just right inside of the edges of the L-cushions and now there's more sealing and bigger "boom box".

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #3,355 of 3,640

In my experience angled driver only works for mimicking frontal speakers for a bigger over the ear phones like T1 which does not touch your ears at all.

For on ears in general, sitting directly on top of your ear tends to flatten your ear lobes a bit which basically decrease soundstage. It also bleeds soundwaves a lot and it makes me feel I'm listening with two different music sources from left and right. This is the case for me with the S-cush on stock SR80. I use the L-cush with SR80 as well because of it. If they can make G-cush less awkward, I would probably use it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #3,356 of 3,640
In my experience angled driver only works for mimicking frontal speakers for a bigger over the ear phones like T1 which does not touch your ears at all.

For on ears in general, sitting directly on top of your ear tends to flatten your ear lobes a bit which basically decrease soundstage. It also bleeds soundwaves a lot and it makes me feel I'm listening with two different music sources from left and right. This is the case for me with the S-cush on stock SR80. I use the L-cush with SR80 as well because of it. If they can make G-cush less awkward, I would probably use it.

Not with my ear lobes and 325e. I wear the phones a bit forward so it won't flatten my ear lobes.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #3,357 of 3,640
I think Grado should make a cushion specially designed to make the driver more in front but at same time covering the entire ear so that the ear lobes don't get flattened. That would be nice and would make the Senn HD800 run for their money.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,358 of 3,640
Just moving the center-hole of the G-cushion off-center (to be more forward) and the overall diameter of the cushion larger (to accommodate the whole ear) would be an excellent option.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,359 of 3,640
And if they make the foam much more dense, added bass would be there (just like a tape mod).

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #3,360 of 3,640
I have always thought that the tape and sock mod essentially do the same thing. I went with the sock mod because there is no worry about tape deteriation and adhesive getting on the cushions.

I think the combo of the sock abd metal cups deepened the bass significantly in comparison to the same mod on my 225i. I was suprised at how good the modded 325i sounded with it's soundstage and enhanced bass while listening to electronic music like Flying Lotus,Ametsub and fka Twigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back