The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Dec 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #2,088 of 3,640
My 325is should be here tomorrow from HeadRoom.....I will be waiting patiently for the UPS man.

I already have some music picked out for day 1...The albums are as follows.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Let Me Up I've Had Enough

Robert Plant - Shaken & Stirred

Alice Cooper - Goes To Hell

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Gold

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of the Moon

Looking Like An All Nighter, that I Am Looking Forward Too!

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2,091 of 3,640
Just received mine....5223

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #2,096 of 3,640
I have just finished listening to Sammy Hager.....Alice Cooper....Robert Plant.....Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and I am pretty much speecless.....I can't get enough

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2,097 of 3,640

Quote:
I have always been interested in this headphone however I'm worried it will be too hot in the treble region like my DT880.  

Even a Grado lover would have to admit that the SR series, and especially the 325, have an elevated treble.  But Grado does that differently than Beyer.  The Beyer's have a peak near around 10K.  The Grados do more of a shelf EQ type of thing where they raise the upper mids and all of the treble up more or less equally.  So while the Grados may be hot at 10K they are also more or less equally hot in the whole region from the upper mids through to 10K.  So instead of the hot 10K hitting as a peak it is hitting as a large flat elevated plateau.

I find the plateau approach to be easier on the ears than the 10K peak Beyer seems to like (why they do the same with the T1 I'll never know).  The Beyer peak hits me as "oh my god the cymbals are piercing, make them stop (especially on the 990)".  The Grado hits me as "the cymbals are too bright, the treble is too bright, the upper-mids are too bright, but I can deal cause none of it is peaking and piercing and is actually giving an interesting view into the musical sound".

As always with these sorts of things YMMV.  It's very dependent on individual hearing and preferences.

note:  I do mention in my sig that I EQ my Grados.  My comments about the Grados here are in consideration of no EQing enabled.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2,098 of 3,640

Quote:
I have just finished listening to Sammy Hager.....Alice Cooper....Robert Plant.....Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and I am pretty much speecless.....I can't get enough

Nice selection.  I'm in 90s mode at the moment, rocking Alanis Morissette.  Welcome to the club and enjoy. 
dt880smile.png

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #2,099 of 3,640
I guess I should add that when I made my comment about my SR-325's not being hot...my amp is also a bit on the warm side because of the tubes I am using so no doubt that tones it down a little. Coming from Beyerdynamic DT770/80's...I am blown away by the mids and high end of the Grados. They could use the tiniest little bump in bass but really, they are pretty darn good for my ears.

Quote:

Quote:
I have always been interested in this headphone however I'm worried it will be too hot in the treble region like my DT880.  

Even a Grado lover would have to admit that the SR series, and especially the 325, have an elevated treble.  But Grado does that differently than Beyer.  The Beyer's have a peak near around 10K.  The Grados do more of a shelf EQ type of thing where they raise the upper mids and all of the treble up more or less equally.  So while the Grados may be hot at 10K they are also more or less equally hot in the whole region from the upper mids through to 10K.  So instead of the hot 10K hitting as a peak it is hitting as a large flat elevated plateau.

I find the plateau approach to be easier on the ears than the 10K peak Beyer seems to like (why they do the same with the T1 I'll never know).  The Beyer peak hits me as "oh my god the cymbals are piercing, make them stop (especially on the 990)".  The Grado hits me as "the cymbals are too bright, the treble is too bright, the upper-mids are too bright, but I can deal cause none of it is peaking and piercing and is actually giving an interesting view into the musical sound".

As always with these sorts of things YMMV.  It's very dependent on individual hearing and preferences.

note:  I do mention in my sig that I EQ my Grados.  My comments about the Grados here are in consideration of no EQing enabled.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #2,100 of 3,640
Thank's Ham for your perspective which is very descriptive and helpful for me.  I was looking for something to contrast with my K500 which great for most genres but there are times when I want to rock out and the AKGs aren't quite fulfilling.  BTW my amp is a bottlehead crack so the tubes might do a bit to tame the highs.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back