The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Dec 12, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #46 of 312

I have the X2, SR325is and the X00 on the way. Seems we think alike. Though I'm really enjoying the SR60e lately, go figure :D

I would assert those are the three best (different flavors) bang-for-the-buck cans on the market right now... good choices!

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #48 of 312
Anyone stuck the g-cush bowls on theirs with good success... getting crazy ideas about cutting down a pair of those to see what I can do with soundstage.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #50 of 312
  FYI: I will say this vocals, instrumentals just soar out of these headphones like nothing I have except in the recording studio with can that cost 3 to 4 times as much.

This plays so damn nice even with YouTube quality as just an example.Uhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXnhWthZ_k4

I find that to be an interesting observation. I and several others have been playing with adding sorbothane damping to Stax and various other phones.  One common observation of such damped phones has been just what you report, that you get a very dynamic presentation of instruments and voices, that they just jump out of the phones. 
I was interested to see that Grado claims that its proprietary polycarbonate acts to dampen vibrations in the earcups,. This is just what the sorbthane does. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-energy-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials 

It appears that their polycarbonate material is working and may be an alternate to adding sorbothane.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #51 of 312
Hello, first time poster.

Was wondering if anyone could give an impression on the 325is vs 325e? I have the possibility to buy a barely used 325is for 150€ (325e costs 400€ new).
So far I have the sr60i (and dt770) and if there's only a marginal difference between the two versions it seems too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #52 of 312
  Hello, first time poster.

Was wondering if anyone could give an impression on the 325is vs 325e? I have the possibility to buy a barely used 325is for 150€ (325e costs 400€ new).
So far I have the sr60i (and dt770) and if there's only a marginal difference between the two versions it seems too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks!

The e is supposedly a little less bright. I have the 325is and really like it, but I find myself reaching for my 60e lately for their smoothness. I think they have a bit more bass than the 325is too. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #54 of 312
  So would you say the getting the 325's at this point would not be worth it compared to the 60e then?

I don't own the 60 and I did not own the i version but everything I've read from those who have both 325i and 325e is there is a significant difference in the treble region.  I do not find the 325e fatiguing at all and I've read countless reviews about the i being overly bright.  That being said all of the SR series share drivers, the housing and driver matching is what changes as you scale up.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #55 of 312
It's my understanding that a red driver means it's the e driver? The 325is I'm looking at has red drivers so I'm guessing this would then be the driver the 325e's have? 
Would probably be a good buy then if so.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #57 of 312
  I don't own the 60 and I did not own the i version but everything I've read from those who have both 325i and 325e is there is a significant difference in the treble region.  I do not find the 325e fatiguing at all and I've read countless reviews about the i being overly bright.  That being said all of the SR series share drivers, the housing and driver matching is what changes as you scale up.

There are differences between the drivers in the Prestige series. Some are destressed. The 225 and 325 are what they call closer-matched. If you read the Grado website each of the Prestige Series has descriptions listing changes over the lower model.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #58 of 312
  It's my understanding that a red driver means it's the e driver? The 325is I'm looking at has red drivers so I'm guessing this would then be the driver the 325e's have? 
Would probably be a good buy then if so.

Yes.

IIRC, Grado shipped some headphones with (red) "e" series drivers
in "i" series boxes prior to the "e" series' official release.

This went on for about 2 - 3 weeks (again IIRC).

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #59 of 312
Having a lot of fun with these so far. The G cups make the headphones sound fuller but at the expense of a little bass. I can't decide which pads I like more, but the sound is... soothing.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #60 of 312
U.K. Owner here.

I can't bring myself to Leave the G Cush on as I just feel obliged to let Grado decide what they suit.

I can't think they wouldn't use them all round if they were better, unless they wanted to justify why the higher price models are different...

Still burning mine in, and they are a little veiled so far compared to my older grados across the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back