The Official Grado 325e Owners Club!
Jul 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #31 of 312
So I owned the 325is a few years back and I had to sell them because they were just too bright. I read that the 325e are not as bright and piecing as their predecessor, so I bought a new pair six months ago (or whenever... time flies). Well, the e series are almost every bit as bright, but I stuck with them. I decided to try the tape mod the other day, a simple wrap of electrical tape around the outside of each ear pad, and I think I've found my new favorite headphone! The edge has definitely been taken off the high end without any loss in detail, and the bass is more prominent without being boomy. It's still tight and controlled. These things just rip through all the crazy, intense music I enjoy without ripping through my ears while they are doing it. The only downside is a slight decrease in sound stage, but I listen to metal with them, so I don't really care about sound stage. They sound awesome!

If you're having trouble with the highs give it a try. If you don't like it, simply take the tape off and forget I ever wrote this.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #32 of 312
So I owned the 325is a few years back and I had to sell them because they were just too bright. I read that the 325e are not as bright and piecing as their predecessor, so I bought a new pair six months ago (or whenever... time flies). Well, the e series are almost every bit as bright, but I stuck with them. I decided to try the tape mod the other day, a simple wrap of electrical tape around the outside of each ear pad, and I think I've found my new favorite headphone! The edge has definitely been taken off the high end without any loss in detail, and the bass is more prominent without being boomy. It's still tight and controlled. These things just rip through all the crazy, intense music I enjoy without ripping through my ears while they are doing it. The only downside is a slight decrease in sound stage, but I listen to metal with them, so I don't really care about sound stage. They sound awesome!

If you're having trouble with the highs give it a try. If you don't like it, simply take the tape off and forget I ever wrote this.

Agreed. I love the tape mod and use it on my 325e.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #33 of 312
I am cautious about the tape mod in case it reduces the cooling effect of the L-cushion. Or even the comfort in case it makes the sides of the cushion stiff. I make do with what I can equalize. They generally roll off at about 50Hz. The media player I use allows me to eq at 30Hz, and I make do with that. My portable DAB has a bass boost which is too much on the 225e. The acoustic eq on it, boosts bass and treble and for the most time that sounds fine. (DAB is a pretty rubbish quality anyway.)

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #34 of 312
  I am cautious about the tape mod in case it reduces the cooling effect of the L-cushion. Or even the comfort in case it makes the sides of the cushion stiff. I make do with what I can equalize. They generally roll of at about 50Hz. The media player I use allows me to eq at 30Hz, and I make do with that. My portable DAB has a bass boost with is too much on the 225e. The acoustic eq on it, boosts bass and treble and for the most time that sounds fine. (DAB is a pretty rubbish quality anyway.)

The good thing is that the tape mod does damage the L-cushion and it completely reversible.  You just need about a foot or so of electrical tape.  

My ear zonk l-cushions I feel are more comfortable than the stock ones.  I bought the case and free cushions at http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Deluxe-Leatherette-Travel-Headphones/dp/B00OM1R9X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438209844&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+case.  Add the mod to a 2nd set of l-cushions if you like.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 312
A SR325e owner for all of 36 hours and loving them with all things Rock, Acoustic (of all varieties) and Reggae.   They've brought back a few favorites that sound great on the home stereo but never seem at their best on any of my plethora of headphones.  I'm not sure about this talk of sibiliance... listening to Gin Wigmore's Singing My Soul as I type this.  That track is prone to sibilance and stridency... it was quite enjoyable on the 325e!  I am using the Lyr (still amazed I can't hear more of the noise floor with the Grado's) but using the LISST's so no tube coloration is affecting my perception.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #36 of 312
Great news. If you love them now you should love them more when the run-in completely. I want a pair of 325e, however I always end up holding off the 'buy it' button. I can't make my mind up whether to buy a more expensive pair of Grado.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #37 of 312
I am a new owner of Grado 325e headphones and new to this forum.  I also purchased a Grado extension cable as I found the headphone cable too short for my purposes.  I am currently driving these from the headphone output of my McIntosh C48 preamp and am pleased with this combination.  

Unlike some other owners, I find the 325e headphones to be fairly comfortable.  

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 312
The L-cushion is very comfy, and they keep ears very cool too. I found comfort is dependant on finding the right place sliding the cups up and down the legs. Once in the right place they comfortable to wear for hours.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #39 of 312
  I am a new owner of Grado 325e headphones and new to this forum.  I also purchased a Grado extension cable as I found the headphone cable too short for my purposes.  I am currently driving these from the headphone output of my McIntosh C48 preamp and am pleased with this combination.  

Unlike some other owners, I find the 325e headphones to be fairly comfortable.  

I have a C26 preamp and MC2105 amp that I've used with my Grados and I love it. The warm mac sound goes perfectly with the bright grado sound. Works out to be a magical combo. Enjoy!

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 312
  I have a C26 preamp and MC2105 amp that I've used with my Grados and I love it. The warm mac sound goes perfectly with the bright grado sound. Works out to be a magical combo. Enjoy!

Good to hear from another owner that enjoys the McIntosh and Grado combination.  I was considering a headphone amp but do not believe that it would offer much benefit for me.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #41 of 312
My .02 on the tape mod... I prefer a "half-tape" on the bottom half of the L-Cush to a full wrap... takes away a little too much of that Grado je ne sais quois!   Half tape>Stock>Full Wrap using regular old scotch tape. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #42 of 312
Owner for a few hours, and I am lovin' the sound. Very balanced, and detailed sound - have been hearing a few instruments never heard before for those songs. Plan to pair it with a Schiit Fulla and see if there is any further improvement. Either way, these are definitely keepers for a long time!

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #43 of 312
On a random aside, I picked up the Fostex TH-X00 from MD and they remind me a little of the SR325e.  I could best describe the sound of the Foxtex as the person love child of a Senn IE800 (bass and mids) and the SR325E (upper mid and some aspects of the treble).  They would make a nice complimentary pair to an owner of the SR325e.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #44 of 312
  Owner for a few hours, and I am lovin' the sound. Very balanced, and detailed sound - have been hearing a few instruments never heard before for those songs. Plan to pair it with a Schiit Fulla and see if there is any further improvement. Either way, these are definitely keepers for a long time!

Excellent hearing new stuff in music.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #45 of 312
  On a random aside, I picked up the Fostex TH-X00 from MD and they remind me a little of the SR325e.  I could best describe the sound of the Foxtex as the person love child of a Senn IE800 (bass and mids) and the SR325E (upper mid and some aspects of the treble).  They would make a nice complimentary pair to an owner of the SR325e.

I have the X2, SR325is and the X00 on the way. Seems we think alike. Though I'm really enjoying the SR60e lately, go figure :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back