The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Apr 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #586 of 752
There wouldn't be a whole lot of difference to notice. Based on what we've heard from FiiO, the gain switch should be set so that the volume knob is between 10 to 12 o'clock for a comfortable listening level. Sounds like you can get that with the gain switch at the low setting so that's what I would recommend.

Jack

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #588 of 752
Some would caution against it, as you are running through two amplification systems and that isn't ideal.  That said, the benefit you are attempting to achieve (some additional bass, I assume) may well outweigh the detriment.  There might be better ways to go about that (perhaps EQ from the source,) but that's another question.  Plug it in, take listen - see if you like it better than the other way.  The cable will not "make a huge difference," and in my opinion relatively insignificant in this case.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #589 of 752

Quote:
I read about plugging in the E7 instead of docking it to make use of the E7's EQ settings. Is this recommended at all? Would the type of 3.5mm->RCA cable make a huge difference? Like a Monoprice one?

You won't be using a 3.5mm->RCA cable. The E9's RCA plugs are outputs. The only input is the 3.5mm line-in. So you're going to want to use a male/male 3.5mm cable.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #590 of 752
If you want the EQ from the E7, I personally feel the benefit of EQ far outweighed the ideal docked E7 solution.

For example, I couldn't tell the K701's sound was different from the docked E7/E9, to a non-EQ'd E7 through the E9's line in. From there I set the E7 to EQ 1 and made the K701 MUCH more enjoyable to me over docked E7/E9.

I only EQ if I don't like the innate sound of my headphones, so only the K701 got that setup. In fact I used EQ 3 with them. They didn't even sound like K701s by that point, lol.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #591 of 752
Some would caution against it, as you are running through two amplification systems and that isn't ideal.  That said, the benefit you are attempting to achieve (some additional bass, I assume) may well outweigh the detriment.  There might be better ways to go about that (perhaps EQ from the source,) but that's another question.  Plug it in, take listen - see if you like it better than the other way.  The cable will not "make a huge difference," and in my opinion relatively insignificant in this case.

do you think using the EQ on i.e. the computer is a better idea, or the one on the E7? I guess I will find out when I get the E7/E9. Just curious. an extra 3.5mm--3.5mm will not cost too much. thnx.

You won't be using a 3.5mm->RCA cable. The E9's RCA plugs are outputs. The only input is the 3.5mm line-in. So you're going to want to use a male/male 3.5mm cable.

thnx. clearly I do not own either yet and I want to make sure =p

If you want the EQ from the E7, I personally feel the benefit of EQ far outweighed the ideal docked E7 solution.

For example, I couldn't tell the K701's sound was different from the docked E7/E9, to a non-EQ'd E7 through the E9's line in. From there I set the E7 to EQ 1 and made the K701 MUCH more enjoyable to me over docked E7/E9.

I only EQ if I don't like the innate sound of my headphones, so only the K701 got that setup. In fact I used EQ 3 with them. They didn't even sound like K701s by that point, lol.

that's good to hear. I'll be pairing the E7/E9 with the D2000. I may not need the EQ but their highs are a little too much for me. I have it tuned down in the computer's EQ at the moment.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #593 of 752

Quote:
Anyone who owns the E9 and AKG K601?

I would liek to know if the E9 can drive the K601 correctly.
also, would it drive the Beyer DT990, 250 ohm?

I'm not sure about the AKG, but the E9 would definitely drive the Beyer DT990 250ohm. I'm using the E9 with a pair of Beyer DT880 600ohm and barely have to turn the volume knob past 9 o'clock. Works great.

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #594 of 752
I'm a noob and could be wrong, but I think you are better off doing the EQing from your computer before the DAC and Amplification.  Additionally, the E7 is pretty limited in what it offers WRT EQ - 3 levels of bass boost - that's it.

Quote:
do you think using the EQ on i.e. the computer is a better idea, or the one on the E7? I guess I will find out when I get the E7/E9. Just curious. an extra 3.5mm--3.5mm will not cost too much. thnx.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #595 of 752
Anyone who owns the E9 and AKG K601?

I would liek to know if the E9 can drive the K601 correctly.
also, would it drive the Beyer DT990, 250 ohm?

The E9 has been tested with some really hard to drive cans. It pushes a lot of power, and has been found to drive 600ohm Beyers and K701/2 with ease. It brings a lot of life to the K701, when I had the pair. Not a fan of the K701 in particular for music, but I can see its appeal. I'm certain the K601 is no different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back