The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Nov 21, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #302 of 752
I bought DT990/600 and E9 at the same time, if that tells you something :)

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #303 of 752
Would E9 + 990 (600) be a good pairing, or should I opt for E9 + 990 (250)?

The E9 has more than enough power for the 600ohm. Your choice should be based off the sound difference, and not whether the E9 can drive it, because it can. They should sound more than 95% alike, though it's been stated on Head-fi that the 600ohm is the best version, as it's the least harsh in treble, and has the tightest bass.

Either way, there should be little to no real difference if/when you compared the two. The efficient 600ohm Beyers are nearly as hard to drive as the 250ohm. If the 250ohm is considerably cheaper, I'd save the money and get that. If they are about the same price, I'd go with the 600ohm.

As for the E9 pairing well with them, it depends. The 990s are know for their aggressive treble peak, which is why people prefer to soften up the sound with tube amps. The E9 won't soften up the sound. It will relatively give you a close idea of how the 990's sound uncolored, imho.

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #304 of 752
Thanks for the input guys.  Not so sure I should go for the 990s then since I'll definitely be getting the E9 (as opposed to a tube amp).  Obazavil, do you think I should take the plunge?

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #305 of 752
I recently purchase the DT880. After a lot of reading I found out that there is negligible differences between the different resistances. (note: I only know the DT880s). I would do more research on amp pairing because this will make a difference in sound between headphones with difference resistances even though when the numbers show that there is no difference.

Also. Word of advice. Look for real evidence of sound differences. A lot of the resistance differences, recabling, etc is just hype and confirmation bias. I wouldn't trust a bunch of random people online feeding off each others hype and craze about purchases, especially about something that has been shown to have no difference but people continuously claim differently.

I would go for the E7/E9 combo though along with one of the Beyer headphones. My recent purcahse of DT880s was for the 250 ohms because of my long time research and because of the price difference (for me it was around $50 at the time). If you plan on reselling your headphones, I would go for the 600 ohm ones because head-fi has a natural tendency to believe those are the best. Hence you get a better resell value. 

Again. This is only for the DT880s. Look up different numbers, graphs, and even opinions about the DT990s. As Mad Lust Envy said, they should be almost the same. Close enough so that if theres a decent price difference just get the cheaper one. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #306 of 752
I bought DT990/600 and E9 at the same time, if that tells you something :)

Bro, did you get them yet? I wanna know your impressions. I know I recommended the combo to you, so I'm hoping it serves you well.

As for the E9 + 990, I personally love this combo. Like I said, SOME people may not like the aggressive treble, some will. If you have heard aggressive treble headphones before (Grados? AD700, K702), there's not a world of difference here when it comes to the treble. The main mid-fi Beyers all have a pretty aggressive treble, so the 990 wouldn't suprise you if you listened to the others.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #308 of 752
The E9 didn't add anything thatvwas lacking in the K701. It stayed true to the headphone. If you use the E7 as a pre-amp to the E9, the bass boost 1 works very well with the K701.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #309 of 752

Quote:
The E9 didn't add anything thatvwas lacking in the K701. It stayed true to the headphone. If you use the E7 as a pre-amp to the E9, the bass boost 1 works very well with the K701.

when i tried to add a little punch to it with winamp's default eq it felt like lows were overpowering and surpassing other freqs , almost like the cans are using all the current it gets to give the bass but still failing. im guessing E7's eq isnt software based am i right 

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #310 of 752

Quote:
Quote:

when i tried to add a little punch to it with winamp's default eq it felt like lows were overpowering and surpassing other freqs , almost like the cans are using all the current it gets to give the bass but still failing. im guessing E7's eq isnt software based am i right 

The SQ is quite different between soft and hardware EQ even they have the same curve! the soft EQ will cause some phase distortion! But I guess it may solved by some professional sofeware, but the software may worth lots of money! LOL!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #312 of 752
Yea, the AC adapter has to be plugged in all the time. The E7/E9 should be great for squeezing in between your MacBook Pro and HD598. :D

Jack

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #314 of 752

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.  Not so sure I should go for the 990s then since I'll definitely be getting the E9 (as opposed to a tube amp).  Obazavil, do you think I should take the plunge?

Well, Mad Lust Envy recommended them (990/600). I read a LOT of reviews and  everybody says that E9 drives 600 Ohms without any problems. Also choose the 600 version since also, everybody agrees that are the "most ideal" headphone IF you have an amp. Since I own a k702, I wanted to buy E9 to drive them both. Went for DT990/600 because I wanted with more bass for movies and single player games.

Now, about if you should buy them, Mad Lust Envy sold all his headphones and kept only DT990/600, that's why I bought them... However, I have not received my headphones/amp until a friend comes from USA (I'm from Mexico) on 1st , so I can't tell you how good it sounds.

Quote:
Bro, did you get them yet? I wanna know your impressions. I know I recommended the combo to you, so I'm hoping it serves you well.

As for the E9 + 990, I personally love this combo. Like I said, SOME people may not like the aggressive treble, some will. If you have heard aggressive treble headphones before (Grados? AD700, K702), there's not a world of difference here when it comes to the treble. The main mid-fi Beyers all have a pretty aggressive treble, so the 990 wouldn't suprise you if you listened to the others.

Not yet, until 1st week of december... I want to check them!!! So far, using K702 in multi and they rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back