The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Aug 1, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #676 of 752
There is no way to use the E7/E9 with a console via USB cable.

You either have to use RCA > 3.5mm adapter > E7/E9 or Optical > Astro Mixamp (or other DSP device) > 3.5mm headphone out > E7/E9.

This has been covered many times:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #677 of 752

Quote:
There is no way to use the E7/E9 with a console via USB cable.

You either have to use RCA > 3.5mm adapter > E7/E9 or Optical > Astro Mixamp (or other DSP device) > 3.5mm headphone out > E7/E9.

This has been covered many times:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Thank You!

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #681 of 752
A mere two posts above your first one I've stated how you can connect to a console...

As for PC, USB works but only if you have the E7 docked.

The E9 is widely used amongst Head-Fi'ers with consoles, and especially PC's which it was more or less designed for.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #682 of 752
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while now but I've finally decided to make an account coz I have a question, as one inevitably does when they stumble upon head-fi 
k701smile.gif

I'm thinking about picking an E9 up along with my new PC (containing a Xonar ST + H6). I'm only running AD-700s atm, but I'm looking at getting K701/2s in the near future. I'm a competitive PC gamer, so my new PC is pretty high end and therefore it's going to be noisy. I want an external DAC to avoid that line noise, so I was looking at the E7/E9 combo, but it seems that the ST only has a stereo digital output. I'll be using Dolby Headphone w/ 7.1, so I was wondering if there was a way that I can retain the SQ/Surround of the ST whilst having the digital to analogue conversion happen externally (I hope this makes sense...). I know I can go to the E7 via USB, but that skips the sound card and defeats the point.

Ideally the chain would be something like this:

Audio -> ST/H6 for surround/quality -> E7 DAC -> E9 Amp -> Headphones

I hope it (or something similar) is possible, otherwise I'll just do away with the DAC and harden up and deal with noise, which hopefully won't be too bad thanks to the ST's design and EMI shielding.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #683 of 752
A DAC will not work in this situation. The only way this will work is going directly from the soundcard to the E9. The only way you will get better sound quality with less noise is by upgrading to a better Dolby Headphone soundcard.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #684 of 752
@anomalyz, as you've kinda figured out the surround is put in place at the DAC stage. So for gaming you are going to have to run from the soundcard to the E9 as Riku540 mentioned. Perhaps you could run a secondary output to an external DAC just for music. I would think the ST has a good DAC and shielding though. Make sure you get a quality PSU to keep the elec noise down. I'm in the same boat as you, 480 SLI AXPs and i7/H70 pushing a lot of air and current. I decided to skip the E7 and go Creative Ti HD => E9 => DT880/600s for the surround gaming.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #685 of 752

Quote:
A DAC will not work in this situation. The only way this will work is going directly from the soundcard to the E9. The only way you will get better sound quality with less noise is by upgrading to a better Dolby Headphone soundcard.

I see, thanks for confirming that for me :)

Quote:
@anomalyz, as you've kinda figured out the surround is put in place at the DAC stage. So for gaming you are going to have to run from the soundcard to the E9 as Riku540 mentioned. Perhaps you could run a secondary output to an external DAC just for music. I would think the ST has a good DAC and shielding though. Make sure you get a quality PSU to keep the elec noise down. I'm in the same boat as you, 480 SLI AXPs and i7/H70 pushing a lot of air and current. I decided to skip the E7 and go Creative Ti HD => E9 => DT880/600s for the surround gaming.

I've got a Corsair AX850 which is probably the best 850W PSU available atm ;D I'll grab the E7/9 combo anyway so I can use the E7 as a portable DAC/Amp with my iPod, and I'll try out the E7 vs ST for music, but I'll stick with the ST for gaming. Thanks again :)

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #686 of 752
I thought I might venture into the full-size forums because I'm thinking of buying a pair of AD900's. However it makes me think I should get an inexpensive amp to go with them for my desktop set up. This seems like a font of knowledge regarding the E9 so I was wondering if I could get some advice :)

How well would this work, if it would work at all - esp compared to the little uDAC2 I still have kicking around...

Computer -> Music Streamer II+ -> E9 -> Active desktop speakers / AD900

1. Since the E9 doesn't appear to have any RCA inputs and the Music Streamer only has RCA outputs, I was wondering if the E9 would still work by going from the RCA to the 3.5 mm input via an adaptor, and if there was any sound quality issues in doing so.

2. Also, if headphones are plugged in to the E9's headphone outs, does output over RCA stop?

3. Does the volume control also change volume over RCA or is it a fixed line level out? (It seems like an obvious question but I wasn't able to nail that one down.)

Lastly, is the AD900 with the E9 a good combination? From a future-proofing perspective, what kind of headphones would I need to start looking at where the E9 would become a weak link? Should I just can the whole idea and stick with the uDAC for headphone out duties and just switch between the MSII and the uDac on the PC?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #687 of 752

Quote:
I thought I might venture into the full-size forums because I'm thinking of buying a pair of AD900's. However it makes me think I should get an inexpensive amp to go with them for my desktop set up. This seems like a font of knowledge regarding the E9 so I was wondering if I could get some advice :)

How well would this work, if it would work at all - esp compared to the little uDAC2 I still have kicking around...

Computer -> Music Streamer II+ -> E9 -> Active desktop speakers / AD900

1. Since the E9 doesn't appear to have any RCA inputs and the Music Streamer only has RCA outputs, I was wondering if the E9 would still work by going from the RCA to the 3.5 mm input via an adaptor, and if there was any sound quality issues in doing so.

2. Also, if headphones are plugged in to the E9's headphone outs, does output over RCA stop?

3. Does the volume control also change volume over RCA or is it a fixed line level out? (It seems like an obvious question but I wasn't able to nail that one down.)

Lastly, is the AD900 with the E9 a good combination? From a future-proofing perspective, what kind of headphones would I need to start looking at where the E9 would become a weak link? Should I just can the whole idea and stick with the uDAC for headphone out duties and just switch between the MSII and the uDac on the PC?

I can help with some of your queries :)

[2] Yes - when you plug your headphones, it stops the RCA output
[3] The RCA out is fixed line level out - ideal if you are going to powered speakers
[4] Cannot comment on the AD900 (only demoed them in store) - but I do have the AD700 and this amp sounds great with them.  The E9 is a little on the warm side - which really helps the AD700 IMO - tames the highs just a little and allows the midrange to shine.  I like the combination.

On your first query - although I haven't tried it, your RCA out to 3.5mm in (via adaptor) should work.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #688 of 752

Quote:

I can help with some of your queries :)

[2] Yes - when you plug your headphones, it stops the RCA output
[3] The RCA out is fixed line level out - ideal if you are going to powered speakers
[4] Cannot comment on the AD900 (only demoed them in store) - but I do have the AD700 and this amp sounds great with them.  The E9 is a little on the warm side - which really helps the AD700 IMO - tames the highs just a little and allows the midrange to shine.  I like the combination.

On your first query - although I haven't tried it, your RCA out to 3.5mm in (via adaptor) should work.

Thanks for the quick reply! Now I basically have to think about this vs something like the Matrix M-Stage hmm

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #689 of 752
I've had a similar problem, but based on the way you described it, not as severe as yours. I hear a bit of static in the higher frequencies. It's not very apparent though, but I think it's the E7, not the E9. I compared with my j3 through the line in, and I don't hear the static. It's not a deal breaker, but it is annoying none the less. Could it have something to do with the 16/48 khz 'limit'?

EDIT: Had a few songs produce the same static during complex high frequencies through the J3, I guess I jumped the gun on blaming it on the E7. I guess it's the recording producing the static. Sorry Fiio. :)
Quote:
I just got my E7/E9 and I'm having an issue.  It might be an E7 issue, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to discuss it.

Setup: PC USB -> E7 docked on E9 -> Phones or Speakers

After a while of listening, I will notice a distinct and 10 out of 10 reproducible static sound at certain parts of songs.  This issue is present both on my speakers (pre-out) and headphones (1/8th out).  I can play the song back at certain parts and repeatedly hear the same static, so I'm definitely not imagining it.

I can clear the issue in a number of ways:

1) Unplug/replug the USB cable
2) Unplug/replug the speaker or headphone cable
3) Turn the potentiometer to zero to turn off the E9 and turn it back on again

The sound will go back to "normal," and it's uncertain when the static will return again.  The next step would be to try the E7 alone, but I'd have to use it for several hours or more before determining whether the issue will pop up or not.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #690 of 752
How confusing so whats the pre out for ? I presume this is to connect to pre out on a full sized stereo amp ? I don't get it ? so you cant connect via optical from soundcard to e9 then connect another source from stereo rca to 3.5mm at the same time ? what good is a full sized headphone amp if it only has 1 source at a time support  ? that means everytime i fire up console or pc i have to swap over the rca>3.5 mm for the source i am using ? seems a major design flaw.Not that you should expect onboard source switching for the money I guess but 2x stereo input and a small switch wouldn't have gone amiss.

Does anyone speak IDIOT on here ? I don't understand the purpose of the pre out or the left and right rca out on the e9
Okay I understand the line it that is for soundcard 3.5mm to 3.5mm or console or whatever rca to 3.5 mm

Now what is the purpose of the rca left right stereo out and the 3.5mm pre out socket ?

In what situation would you use the Left/Right rca output
In what situation would you use the 3.5mm pre output

One of these is for hooking up a full sized amp so all sources connected to that amp can then run through the e9 when headphones are plugged in by selecting that source on the amp ?

Wouldn't it be better to simply have 2x line in and a small source switch ?

I have a XONAR DX soundcard a full sized technics SE A800SM2 with SU C800 UM2 control amp and obviously I have the 360 hooked up to the technics amp currently what are my options for hooking up console and pc at the same time ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back