The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
May 18, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #632 of 752
Just received my E9. Wow. Is it just me or does the E9 have a MUCH more present midrange than the E7? cos to me that was the most obvious change in sound. 

The E9 has more midrange than any other source I've used.

May 19, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #633 of 752

Quote:
Quote:
Just received my E9. Wow. Is it just me or does the E9 have a MUCH more present midrange than the E7? cos to me that was the most obvious change in sound. 

The E9 has more midrange than any other source I've used.

And dont know how can people complain there's no bass boost. PLENTY of it.
Is there a 2nd gen item? cos mine came with the white notch in the volume nob and I think that was there originally? 

May 19, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #634 of 752
The initial E9's didn't have the white marking.

I dunno about boosting, so much as it just somehow putting all things a bit more forward than other sources/amps, making the sound more aggressive. For example, my Lyr has less sub bass, more mid bass, less mids, and less treble, but everything sounds more organic than the E9. The E9 does sound artificially boosted, but it's more broad, so the effect isn't significant as say just a bass boost.

May 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #635 of 752
Mad Lust Envy, do u notice a hiss when turning the volume nob? Is it just the analog design?

Also, high gain vs low gain?

May 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #636 of 752
The noise when turning the volume knob seems to be something we are all experiencing. Its not a dealbreaker to me as it only occurs when adjusting the volume, which is like 1% of the time.

I prefer high gain vs low gain. High gain sounds more dynamic, while low gain sounds more polite, but better balanced. Stick to whatever gets you between 9 and 12. If its both, I'd use High Gain for personal preference.

May 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #637 of 752
OK. How come nothing past 12? does distortion kick in?

May 20, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #638 of 752
Oh, it's that Fiio stated that the 'sweet spot' for the amp comes between 9 and 12. That's where the E9 runs at it's best.

May 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #639 of 752

Quote:
Oh, it's that Fiio stated that the 'sweet spot' for the amp comes between 9 and 12. That's where the E9 runs at it's best.

Thanks alot. All this is helpful, my first proper amp so wanna get the most out of it.

May 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #640 of 752

Quote:

Maybe that explains why my cross fade is all in the left starting up and goes away the closer I get to 9. Thought it was a defect... A little inconvieniant because then I have to jank down my media player's volume to prevent my ears from bleeding.

May 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #641 of 752
Put in the order for my FIio E9, since the plan I had in place to save for it wasnt working. So the STX had to get the boot. For me to open the path for the E9.Later on I will put something in the place of my old Audigy 2 that I got in my computer.

May 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #644 of 752
Can't wait until NwAvGuy gets his paws on this. I'm sure it will be better than the likes of mediocrities such as the β22 and GS-X.

That sounds like sarcasm....

May 24, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #645 of 752
I just got my E7/E9 and I'm having an issue.  It might be an E7 issue, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to discuss it.

Setup: PC USB -> E7 docked on E9 -> Phones or Speakers

After a while of listening, I will notice a distinct and 10 out of 10 reproducible static sound at certain parts of songs.  This issue is present both on my speakers (pre-out) and headphones (1/8th out).  I can play the song back at certain parts and repeatedly hear the same static, so I'm definitely not imagining it.

I can clear the issue in a number of ways:

1) Unplug/replug the USB cable
2) Unplug/replug the speaker or headphone cable
3) Turn the potentiometer to zero to turn off the E9 and turn it back on again

The sound will go back to "normal," and it's uncertain when the static will return again.  The next step would be to try the E7 alone, but I'd have to use it for several hours or more before determining whether the issue will pop up or not.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back