The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #23,311 of 23,563
I know. I asked if you know what is the difference between your cable and that Graphene Hybrid.
Must've misunderstood. In your original post you asked what the effect of each cable is on the sound quality, which we're not sure of because we don't have one. The included Volür cable (our Black Premium Cable) does not effect the sound quality. It is a low impedance SPC cable that has no measurable impact on the frequency response. If the cable you mentioned has a much higher impedance, then there's a chance it'll cause a change in the sensitivity of the IEM but not much chance it'll change the frequency response because of our LID technology.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Feb 16, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #23,312 of 23,563
What is your opinion about this cable for the Volür? I already have it at home. I've tried it a bit earlier for a couple of hours, it sounds nice. Now I am on the stock cable, it sounds nice, too.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Graphene Hybrid 7N OCC and the stock, which is Silver Plated OCC Copper Wire? What is the effect of each cable in the sound quality? @64Audio ?
I'll bite...by the way your link on a Mac (safari and chrome) just takes you to AlieExpress home page.

The way to identify differences is by measurement. if it measures different, it will sound different (note, not better). Have you ever seen a cable with a full suite of info - you know the kind of measurements you get with a DAP or a transducer? If you're lucky, you may get a resistance value. But that will almost certainly be of the cable, not the interconnect. Plugs can and do have resistance values of their own which can impact on the overall resistance seen by devices at either end. Hi-fi-Choice did a test about a decade ago which showed significant impedance value changes for coaxial digital cables - almost all of which was attributed to the termination rather than the cable. The wire measured 75 ohms, the interconnect did not.

Then of course there is the fact that resistance itself varies across the frequency response...And we haven't touched capacitance, rfi, skin effect, etc. Not to mention the various metals used. If you're interested in going down this rabbit hole, this site is as good an explanation as any. While it relates to hifi cables, the principles are the same. https://www.audioresurgence.com/2019/09/why-audio-cables-sound-different.html

While the answer as given by 64Audio is fair given their LID technology, the answer should always be 'I don't know'. I am cable agnostic. I also note that the transducer when manufactured will always be measured with the included cable...I acquire cables only when I need a different termination ie 2.5mm or 4.4mm

My view, can't hear a difference - go with the cheaper. If all else fails - go with the prettier one...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #23,313 of 23,563
Wow thanks so much for the immediate response! If I may ask a follow up question regarding the apex modules... I can definitely see how removing the module entirely will lose a ton of bass, but does that also happen going from m20 to mX modules?
you can see the effect of different modules on frequency response by comparing them on:
https://squig.link/?share=64_Audio_Volur_(m20),64_Audio_Volur_(mX),64_Audio_Volur_(m12).

Picked the Volür as an example...
1708145656095.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #23,314 of 23,563
I'll bite...by the way your link on a Mac (safari and chrome) just takes you to AlieExpress home page.

The way to identify differences is by measurement. if it measures different, it will sound different (note, not better). Have you ever seen a cable with a full suite of info - you know the kind of measurements you get with a DAP or a transducer? If you're lucky, you may get a resistance value. But that will almost certainly be of the cable, not the interconnect. Plugs can and do have resistance values of their own which can impact on the overall resistance seen by devices at either end. Hi-fi-Choice did a test about a decade ago which showed significant impedance value changes for coaxial digital cables - almost all of which was attributed to the termination rather than the cable. The wire measured 75 ohms, the interconnect did not.

Then of course there is the fact that resistance itself varies across the frequency response...And we haven't touched capacitance, rfi, skin effect, etc. Not to mention the various metals used. If you're interested in going down this rabbit hole, this site is as good an explanation as any. While it relates to hifi cables, the principles are the same. https://www.audioresurgence.com/2019/09/why-audio-cables-sound-different.html

While the answer as given by 64Audio is fair given their LID technology, the answer should always be 'I don't know'. I am cable agnostic. I also note that the transducer when manufactured will always be measured with the included cable...I acquire cables only when I need a different termination ie 2.5mm or 4.4mm

My view, can't hear a difference - go with the cheaper. If all else fails - go with the prettier one...

Hey, thanks for your reply and the explanation. :)

I just asked because I was wondering if anyone had tried a Graphene cable with the Volür, you know?
Or, maybe 64 Audio had tried the Volür with different cables and could offer some insight, you know?

Anyways, it's fine, I already have this cable at home here, so I can try it thoroughly any time I want. I've already tried it for a few hours, it sounds fine, just different from the stock cable, which I really love! I'm glad I have an alternative even though it is completely unnecessary.

Among many others, one of the things I absolutely adore on the Volür is that it sounds absolutely fantastic, at its best IMO, with everything stock: cable, tips, stock Apex module! ❤️

This is the link for my cable, btw ---> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.10.36f01802LW13UW
Hope you can see it now

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #23,315 of 23,563
@64Audio or anyone else who can advise:

I'd like to try another cable I have at home but its pins are longer compared to the stock cable. Can I try it or will it hurt my Volür?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #23,317 of 23,563
I guess it will if you would fully insert the plug with long pins.
My bet is that it wouldn't...the worst that can happen is that the pins are not completely stuck in, and the only problem would be aesthetical.

Other than that, I would consider it a flaw in design if you can puncture something inside with slightly longer pins.

Let's see...a flaw or everything is fine :))

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #23,318 of 23,563
Thank your for your replies, let's see what @64Audio has to say, I took another photo. By the way, this is the cable, I would like to just try it. The stock cable is excellent for me.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #23,322 of 23,563
What is the standard?
64 have their own standard or standard in general? How come that cable (pins) is made out of that standard?

Cheers!
0.78mm is the standard. That looks like a QC failure. While it may not do anything harmful, given the failure to adhere to a standard, would you trust that the rest of the construction is up to spec? If it isn't then there is no warranty comeback...

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #23,323 of 23,563
0.78mm is the standard.
Are we talking about wire thickness or length?
And the standard is not 0.78 mm, only.

As I am informed, they come in two sizes 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm

But I thought that the question was about length; perhaps I was wrong (but I doubt, I read correctly).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #23,324 of 23,563
Are we talking about wire thickness or length?
And the standard is not 0.78 mm, only.

As I am informed, they come in two sizes 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm

But I thought that the question was about length; perhaps I was wrong (but I doubt, I read correctly).
That measurement is in relation to the diameter of the pins I believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back