The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #22,921 of 23,721
Sounds like you're well into your honeymoon period. Enjoy it!

Fourte is definitely right up there with the best I've heard, although Volür recently pipped it for my favourite 64 Audio IEM. It's not as technically gifted as Fourte, but it's meatier with better and more bass, which is my priority.

There are many other sets in the $3000 range that can compete evenly with Fourte now, although I still regard Fourte's sound as unique, and its resolution and stage is almost unmatched. I also hear it as natural, but many don't, so it's one of those YMMV IEMs.

Long may you keep loving it.
Agree with this. This is why Fourte Blanc x DMP-Z1 fills in all its shortcomings and then some! Perhaps the DMP-Z1 just makes everything sound good!

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #22,922 of 23,721
If bass is your priority- check out aroma audio Thunder (or perhaps jewel though I have not heard it). The thunder has the best bass of any iem I have heard. But the details cannot compete with this fourte. I am not an extreme bass head but I do like good bass. I use gryphon’s xbass with the fourte and it is 💎
Hmmm. Guy is literally the bass ambassador of the audio world and the reason why he has gotten his status updated for all eternity!

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #22,923 of 23,721
Agree with this. This is why Fourte Blanc x DMP-Z1 fills in all its shortcomings and then some! Perhaps the DMP-Z1 just makes everything sound good!
I've yet to hear the Blanc...even though I owned a set for month (never opened it). Still have & love the Fourte & Noire. Someday I will complete the collection, again. :relaxed:

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #22,925 of 23,721
Fourte makes me
Want to hear noir and blanc. But what has the most detailed mids? Is it the original?
Noir for me. But to be honest all three excel in baritones and tenors.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #22,926 of 23,721
Hi everyone, I am planning to improve my mobile audio line up, thinking of buying the 64 Audio Nio (although here in Europe it is around 2200 USD). I would mostly listen to EDM with it (but other genres too). Right now my main is an AKG N40, my intention is to step up in bass and in mid range. Below some example musics if it helps. Would you recommend the Nio for this or I should look for something else? I posted also a more generic question here, more details there about my setup the Nio would be utilized.

Sample music:
Dzima Kobeshavidze & Irakli Balavadze - Red Wine (Zviad Bekauri Remix)
Ash & Naila - Sing It Back
Mihail - Ma ucide ea (Official Music Video)
Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #22,927 of 23,721
Hi everyone, I am planning to improve my mobile audio line up, thinking of buying the 64 Audio Nio (although here in Europe it is around 2200 USD). I would mostly listen to EDM with it (but other genres too). Right now my main is an AKG N40, my intention is to step up in bass and in mid range. Below some example musics if it helps. Would you recommend the Nio for this or I should look for something else? I posted also a more generic question here, more details there about my setup the Nio would be utilized.

Sample music:
Considering you have more of a preference towards EDM, I recommend that you also try to audition the 64audio U12T as well before making a decision.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #22,928 of 23,721
If bass is your priority- check out aroma audio Thunder (or perhaps jewel though I have not heard it). The thunder has the best bass of any iem I have heard. But the details cannot compete with this fourte. I am not an extreme bass head but I do like good bass. I use gryphon’s xbass with the fourte and it is 💎

The Volur are not just about wanting bass priority, they are a very complete package. It's how all the other frequency ranges work with the Volur bass. It's not a basshead IEM at all. It's just an excellent IEM along with S-tier bass in regards to quality.

Considering you have more of a preference towards EDM, I recommend that you also try to audition the 64audio U12T as well before making a decision.

Wanting a step up in the bass department for IEM needs a DD driver. The all BA U12T is not gonna give that satisfaction.

The NIO would be probably great for that, or the Volur if he can stretch his budget. The Volur could be endgame for most people for almost all of their music. But for EDM you need a very good DD setup for the lows IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #22,929 of 23,721
Wanting a step up in the bass department for IEM needs a DD driver. The all BA U12T is not gonna give that satisfaction.

The NIO would be probably great for that, or the Volur if he can stretch his budget. The Volur could be endgame for most people for almost all of their music. But for EDM you need a very good DD setup for the lows IMO.

Thank you for putting this on my radar. Where I live even the official 64 Audio distributor does not have it (I already wrote them :D). Price is 1 thing that I'll need to swallow but based on reviews, comments potentially this IEM is something that I am indeed looking for.

1 question about Volür, I usually use IEMs when travelling, I don't want people sitting next to me listen to good music, if you know what I mean :), where does Volür stand with "leaking" music outside?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #22,930 of 23,721
I would definitely agree with this, if nothing else to get a point of comparison and be sure…
The Volur are not just about wanting bass priority, they are a very complete package. It's how all the other frequency ranges work with the Volur bass. It's not a basshead IEM at all. It's just an excellent IEM along with S-tier bass in regards to quality.

… because while 12t doesn’t have the same bass “thump” that you get with the DD of a Nio, Volur or Trio, it definitely does still have excellent bass quantity and perhaps better articulation and detail.

One advantage of going with all-BA, especially the 12t, is that it’s less fatiguing than DDs can be, so you can listen for 2+ hours and much longer in total comfort.

Btw, didja see what I did adding Trio in there? It’s not FOTM like Volur is, but if I was in the market for a DD hybrid from 64 Audio, Trio would top the list. I reckon it has much smoother and better quality treble than the darker Nio and Volur.

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #22,932 of 23,721

Sample music:

I owned Nio for around 2 years+ (before I decided to trade it for Volur :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), for EDM music, Nio will satisfy you with its bass, it would be not the most technical if you listen to other genres IMO.
If you have around 1700 USD (Nio), I recommend you to take the Trio instead for 2300 USD, the V shape sound of Trio would be ok for EDM and others, also its DD is slamming harder than Nio, Trio is more all rounder IMO.

I heard U12t also, It is also a good IEM and I think it produce the best BA bass in the market, but still, for me, I prefer the bass produced by DD instead of BA.

Hopefully this helps. :relaxed:

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #22,933 of 23,721

I see that you really love the Volur, how would you compare it to Z1R? because I see that you have both Volur and Z1R.
I never heard both, but curious to see how these two compares. :L3000:

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #22,934 of 23,721
I see that you really love the Volur, how would you compare it to Z1R? because I see that you have both Volur and Z1R.
I never heard both, but curious to see how these two compares. :L3000:
I can share my thoughts as I own both and can comfortably say they're the "best" bass sets I've ever heard in iem's.

What may be surprising is that the Volur handles bass a bit different than the Nio where it has less perceived bass due to Volur being tight, with concussive & pistonic kick whereas Nio is more of a "laid on thick" and rich type of midbass weight with smoother/longer decay due to the upper register tuning being warmer.

Volur: This is tuned to be a great reference and versatile iem with a bit of a softening in the mid treble and then upper treble has a good amount of clarity and a bit of sizzle. The bass is bottomless, tight, impactful and stops and go's on a dime. Bass even on M20 will not have the midbass sustain of a Z1R, it's tighter. Volur bass is like a super well set up dual-mono subs in a world class studio setup. Stage is globe-like with all 3 axis' being proportional with pinpoint imaging, good forward depth and height. Midrange is very clean and transparent neither coloring in favor or male or female vocals - quite neutral if not a bit dry and monitor-like.

Z1R: It is a more colored iem with a more generous bass bounce and slam (midbass), very much like a subwoofer in a 2-channel audiophile listening setup crossed over a little higher. However, it does not have the same sub bass weight and won't dig as deep as Volur. Mids are uneven a bit but it's not as bad as many say - but it definitely is a bit thinner for male vocals and accentuates female voices more. The treble is where Z1R is also very unique in that it has a very crunchy and dynamic top end, not the most controlled or even treble, but it presents layers and decays very accurately and timbre is fabulous. Z1R's stage is more panned out wide and deep by virtue of the DD tweeter, but does not image as incisively as Volur.

Where Volur is a supercar that is tight and in control to extract optimal performance on throttle (hyper responsive); Z1R is a more nervous and high torque supercar with gobs of power but sometimes overdrives and isn't the easiest to handle, but it is exhilarating.

I think the Volur is the more mature and versatile product since it can play any genre with aplomb, but the Z1R still has a magic that is unique to itself when it comes solely down to bass & macrodynamic impact. For someone who wants a one-and-done, Volur is top recommendation from me, and be sure to tip roll as it is super reactive to any changes wihtin the chain.

The next tier for me for quality bass in iem's would be something like Storm (dynamics but less so texture), IE900 (texture & dynamics), some of the Empire flagships (X, Evo & Odyssey for impact, quantity and less so texture), A8000 (dynamics and impact), RN6 (midbass slam and texture) & Singularity (quantity/ impact, but not quite the resolution).

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #22,935 of 23,721
Thank you for putting this on my radar. Where I live even the official 64 Audio distributor does not have it (I already wrote them :D). Price is 1 thing that I'll need to swallow but based on reviews, comments potentially this IEM is something that I am indeed looking for.

1 question about Volür, I usually use IEMs when travelling, I don't want people sitting next to me listen to good music, if you know what I mean :), where does Volür stand with "leaking" music outside?

You're welcome. Listen I have not heard a ton of all BA IEM's but when I have, I always prefer good DD bass. And I've read a lot of reviews and a ton of comments in this forum by people who have had many high end IEM's, and it's almost unanimous, good DD bass always beats good BA bass if you are prioritizing good bass. And if you are into EDM primarily, it's a no brainer. I would not buy an all BA IEM for your music tastes. If you listen to EDM you need bass a BA can't provide, especially in the lower end. As far as leakage I can't say but nobody I've been around has commented - also you will likely be using the M15 module, which not only has to most people the best quantity and quality of bass, it also isolates quite well.

As far as a comparison between Volur and Z1R, what this guy says below, cause he said it much better than I can. I feel the same way about the bass and the mids and treble. It's a really fun IEM, I think the Volur is a better all rounder though. But they are both great for EDM.

I can share my thoughts as I own both and can comfortably say they're the "best" bass sets I've ever heard in iem's.

What may be surprising is that the Volur handles bass a bit different than the Nio where it has less perceived bass due to Volur being tight, with concussive & pistonic kick whereas Nio is more of a "laid on thick" and rich type of midbass weight with smoother/longer decay due to the upper register tuning being warmer.

Volur: This is tuned to be a great reference and versatile iem with a bit of a softening in the mid treble and then upper treble has a good amount of clarity and a bit of sizzle. The bass is bottomless, tight, impactful and stops and go's on a dime. Bass even on M20 will not have the midbass sustain of a Z1R, it's tighter. Volur bass is like a super well set up dual-mono subs in a world class studio setup. Stage is globe-like with all 3 axis' being proportional with pinpoint imaging, good forward depth and height. Midrange is very clean and transparent neither coloring in favor or male or female vocals - quite neutral if not a bit dry and monitor-like.

Z1R: It is a more colored iem with a more generous bass bounce and slam (midbass), very much like a subwoofer in a 2-channel audiophile listening setup crossed over a little higher. However, it does not have the same sub bass weight and won't dig as deep as Volur. Mids are uneven a bit but it's not as bad as many say - but it definitely is a bit thinner for male vocals and accentuates female voices more. The treble is where Z1R is also very unique in that it has a very crunchy and dynamic top end, not the most controlled or even treble, but it presents layers and decays very accurately and timbre is fabulous. Z1R's stage is more panned out wide and deep by virtue of the DD tweeter, but does not image as incisively as Volur.

Where Volur is a supercar that is tight and in control to extract optimal performance on throttle (hyper responsive); Z1R is a more nervous and high torque supercar with gobs of power but sometimes overdrives and isn't the easiest to handle, but it is exhilarating.

I think the Volur is the more mature and versatile product since it can play any genre with aplomb, but the Z1R still has a magic that is unique to itself when it comes solely down to bass & macrodynamic impact. For someone who wants a one-and-done, Volur is top recommendation from me, and be sure to tip roll as it is super reactive to any changes wihtin the chain.

The next tier for me for quality bass in iem's would be something like Storm (dynamics but less so texture), IE900 (texture & dynamics), some of the Empire flagships (X, Evo & Odyssey for impact, quantity and less so texture), A8000 (dynamics and impact), RN6 (midbass slam and texture) & Singularity (quantity/ impact, but not quite the resolution).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back