The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #22,456 of 23,560
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #22,457 of 23,560
at this point i just want an eartip that will stick to my ear lol. i guess its my fault for using a heavy cable which makes me have to readjust just from moving a tiny bit.
I use the SpinFit W1 with my Nio's and find them to be fairly tacky. I typically use a PWA No.5 8-wire cable with the Nio which is pretty hefty and the W1s keep things in place unless I'm really moving about.

Nothing beats Xelastecs for pure stick, though. Crystals get close but not quite as much hold.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #22,458 of 23,560
I use the SpinFit W1 with my Nio's and find them to be fairly tacky. I typically use a PWA No.5 8-wire cable with the Nio which is pretty hefty and the W1s keep things in place unless I'm really moving about.

Nothing beats Xelastecs for pure stick, though. Crystals get close but not quite as much hold.
thanks! ill give those a try

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #22,459 of 23,560
I would highly recommend @skedra to make you a copper cable, he made me one for my supermoon which helped with the sharp highs whilst adding some meat to the mid bass and rumble in the subbass. He does https://vikingweavecables.com/

For foam tips, I've always enjoyed campfire marshmallow tips on my 64a gear

20230814_144549.jpg

Thank you for all the cable and tip suggestions. That looks like a beautiful cable. What’s the make up?

Also do you hear a difference between type 2 / 4 and 6 Litz copper?

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #22,460 of 23,560
I’m happy to report it was Apple dongle. It doesn’t seem to provide enough juice to the u18t making them distort and anyone planning on using them with just their iPhone should be weary of this.

I find the treble a bit much sometimes although I love how vivid they sound throughout the midrange. Can anyone recommend a cable no more than $200 that would smooth out the highs and maybe provide a touch more rumble and impact in the bass? I’ve read some good things about the PlusSound - X but I have no first hand experience.

I’m also wondering if there are Comply foam tips that extend more past the nozzle that would do the trick. I don’t know if the Comply P-Series are compatible. Anyone know? 64 Audio isn’t a listed brand on the Comply website in their compatibility listings which is strange because they have virtually every other big name brand on there.
I would also suggest the Effect Audio Ares S cable. For foam tips you could try the Symbio F. I use these on the Trio to help smooth out the highs.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #22,461 of 23,560
I would also suggest the Effect Audio Ares S cable. For foam tips you could try the Symbio F. I use these on the Trio to help smooth out the highs.
I’ve read a lot of reviews for the Ares S and most say it gives more slam in the sub and mid bass and a warmer midrange but highs remain neutral. I really need some roll off in the highs with u18t - if that’s even possible.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #22,462 of 23,560
I’m happy to report it was Apple dongle. It doesn’t seem to provide enough juice to the u18t making them distort and anyone planning on using them with just their iPhone should be weary of this.

I find the treble a bit much sometimes although I love how vivid they sound throughout the midrange. Can anyone recommend a cable no more than $200 that would smooth out the highs and maybe provide a touch more rumble and impact in the bass? I’ve read some good things about the PlusSound - X but I have no first hand experience.

I’m also wondering if there are Comply foam tips that extend more past the nozzle that would do the trick. I don’t know if the Comply P-Series are compatible. Anyone know? 64 Audio isn’t a listed brand on the Comply website in their compatibility listings which is strange because they have virtually every other big name brand on there.
another important thing to note is that using U18t with a device that has greater than about .05ohms output impedance will have an audible impact on its frequency response, typically tilting it to sound brighter. Not entirely sure what the spec on apple's products are in this regard but trying something like Chord's Mojo will give you an idea since it has a very impressive headphone amp.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #22,463 of 23,560
another important thing to note is that using U18t with a device that has greater than about .05ohms output impedance will have an audible impact on its frequency response, typically tilting it to sound brighter. Not entirely sure what the spec on apple's products are in this regard but trying something like Chord's Mojo will give you an idea since it has a very impressive headphone amp.
That’s incredibly low. There’s very few good sounding portable dongles that sport that sort of output impedance. 1 ohm mark is much more common. Surprisingly Apples 3.5mm to lightning comes in at 0.3 Ohm which is why I reach for it when I need something very quick and easy but clearly doesn’t provide enough power to the u18t as it distorts past 60-70%.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #22,464 of 23,560
Chord Mojo comes in at 0.7

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #22,466 of 23,560
sorry, typo. meant to say 0.5ohms, or around there.
I would say even very few good desktop amps have that sort of output impedance. For example only a handful amps reviewed by ADSR have anything less than 0.7. I recommend anyone interested to go have a look at the entire list. It’s extensive.

I think the u18t could really do with your LID technology and for my sake hopefully you can customise existing u18t’s if you ever choose to go down that route.

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #22,467 of 23,560
I would say even very few good desktop amps have that sort of output impedance. For example only a handful amps reviewed by ADSR have anything less than 0.7. I recommend anyone interested to go have a look at the entire list. It’s extensive.

I think the u18t could really do with your LID technology and for my sake hopefully you can customise existing u18t’s if you ever choose to go down that route.
there are actually many dac/amps and amps with low out put impedance. For example the one I mentioned earlier, Mojo, is .075ohm original and .06ohm Mojo2.

My earlier statement wasn't to definitely say that the apple dongle has high impedance and is changing the intended frequency response, only that you could try some other headphone amps to see if that helps. Tip rolling and cable rolling can also change the sound to your preferences.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Aug 25, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #22,468 of 23,560
The u12t paired with the ak sp1k separate sounds like crazy. Im enjoying this combo for the last 4 months and cant get enough of it.
Every single imaginary sound source plays separately- the vocals have their own bubble, the guitars, the bass, the hi hats, everything is crazy separated and yet still they all play together creating an organic unity.
Its really really something special. Ive gone through many sources and higher end iems and have never heard a combo like this. The technicalities of it are better than on a very high quality speaker sound systems ive heard before.
And despite all these technical fireworks, everything is beautifuly smooth and analog sounding. In Love!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #22,469 of 23,560
there are actually many dac/amps and amps with low out put impedance. For example the one I mentioned earlier, Mojo, is .075ohm original and .06ohm Mojo2.

My earlier statement wasn't to definitely say that the apple dongle has high impedance and is changing the intended frequency response, only that you could try some other headphone amps to see if that helps. Tip rolling and cable rolling can also change the sound to your preferences.
OI on Mojo is crazy good for non-LID 64Audio IEMs such as 18t, but the downside is the hiss, I hear the hiss with Mojo1/2 on many 64Audio sensitive IEMs (tried with Nio, Trio, 12t, 18t)

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #22,470 of 23,560
Cross posting my post from the watercoolers thread. Hope it helps few here.

I had unwanted treble energy issue with 64Audio Fourte. With a basic cable the brightness in some tracks would become really challenging. I was told foam tips are the best I could use and other solution being cable rolling. Foamies don’t go well for me and many. So, this is my jugaad. There is very small cotton ball, densily rolled and put on the grills of the iem. Believe me, it really works. It’s a much better solution than the foam tips.

IMG_8099.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back