The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #22,276 of 23,560
been listening to the U4s every day at least two hours since I got them.

I really wanted to find a combo of tips and modules that needed no EQ to be my all arounders. finally found it. I think burn in may have had something to do with it.

the m15 sometimes felt like it had just a little less detail in mids/highs than I wanted, but m12 has too little bass. I was going to EQ. Settled on the Spinfit cp100+, and stuck with the m15 module. Now the sound is just about perfect and I need zero EQ to just jam to any of my playlists. I also have the black -13db module from FIR. After going through those three filters again last night, the m15 now with the CP100+ tips and whatever any burn in did on that dynamic driver, it's just beautiful stuff. Back to busting out dance moves when walking the dog.

This is on the iFi Go Pods. I have the Ares S pure copper cable and also the Eros S II on the way, so I'll be trying those two out to see if I have a cable solution for sometimes as well.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #22,277 of 23,560
To those who’ve tried the u12t and ier-m9, which did you end up ultimately preferring? They are both top or near top class all BA IEMs and both are considered all rounders
had both for a while, and my preference goes to the 12t. Still the m9s are solid, but ended up selling them because I was simply not using them enough.
Now I am jumping on the custom wagon and getting the a12t!

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #22,278 of 23,560
been listening to the U4s every day at least two hours since I got them.

I really wanted to find a combo of tips and modules that needed no EQ to be my all arounders. finally found it. I think burn in may have had something to do with it.

the m15 sometimes felt like it had just a little less detail in mids/highs than I wanted, but m12 has too little bass. I was going to EQ. Settled on the Spinfit cp100+, and stuck with the m15 module. Now the sound is just about perfect and I need zero EQ to just jam to any of my playlists. I also have the black -13db module from FIR. After going through those three filters again last night, the m15 now with the CP100+ tips and whatever any burn in did on that dynamic driver, it's just beautiful stuff. Back to busting out dance moves when walking the dog.

This is on the iFi Go Pods. I have the Ares S pure copper cable and also the Eros S II on the way, so I'll be trying those two out to see if I have a cable solution for sometimes as well.
i use the Dunu Candy ear tips with M15 and its perfect for me, love it ! Also super comfortable!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #22,279 of 23,560
To those who’ve tried the u12t and ier-m9, which did you end up ultimately preferring? They are both top or near top class all BA IEMs and both are considered all rounders
I owned both for a month and A/B testing many times, if considering p/p ratio, definitely I choose M9 since they have similar tuning (maybe 80%?). The big plus of 12t is the apex, and it also is the big minus of M9, the ear suction problem. Regarding the sound, I found that 12t is more musical, M9 is more neutral: low regions on both are really good for the BAs configuration but 12t won with more texture in the low end, I prefer the vocals on M9 since it is very very neutral to me, instead of some warm hint on 12t, highs on 12t are more relaxed, and on M9 are more sparkle. The last aspect I would like to consider is the imaging, 12t is more correct to me, but not too far from M9.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #22,280 of 23,560
I owned both for a month and A/B testing many times, if considering p/p ratio, definitely I choose M9 since they have similar tuning (maybe 80%?). The big plus of 12t is the apex, and it also is the big minus of M9, the ear suction problem. Regarding the sound, I found that 12t is more musical, M9 is more neutral: low regions on both are really good for the BAs configuration but 12t won with more texture in the low end, I prefer the vocals on M9 since it is very very neutral to me, instead of some warm hint on 12t, highs on 12t are more relaxed, and on M9 are more sparkle. The last aspect I would like to consider is the imaging, 12t is more correct to me, but not too far from M9.
Another, newer entry to the kilobuck market is the Elise Audio x Symphonium Helios SE. It's dead-neutral and has great techs like the OG Helios. It has an elevated bass, neutral mids, and world-class treble (I say this without hyperbole).

The OG and SE share the same internals and DNA, but the difference in implementation and overall impact is significant. It's better-balanced and more coherent than the OG Helios and I think competes with the M9 from a price-to-performance aspect.

Compared to the SE, the U12t does a better job eking out microdetails and is slightly warmer. The SE has a better treble. What the HSE and U12t share is a remarkable balance, never falling on their face.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #22,282 of 23,560
If a DAC/Amp really necessary with the u12t? I just did some A/B testing with the headphone out of my ROG ally, and the Chord mojo 2, because thats one of my main use cases with my IEMs, and there may be differences, but its hard to really tell what isnt just placebo. Hard to justify the $775 i spent on the mojo 2 while im still in the return window

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #22,283 of 23,560
If a DAC/Amp really necessary with the u12t? I just did some A/B testing with the headphone out of my ROG ally, and the Chord mojo 2, because thats one of my main use cases with my IEMs, and there may be differences, but its hard to really tell what isnt just placebo. Hard to justify the $775 i spent on the mojo 2 while im still in the return window
My U12ts are perfectly fine with my Xperia's jack, mojo2 is a welcome addition but not necessary. If you don't have other power hungry IEMs/HPs the mojo might be redundant if you don't chase the final 5% :)

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #22,284 of 23,560
Agree, both my U6t and A12t sound great out of my Mac, or even just my phone and the Apple dongle for that matter.

That said, A12t does scale well with a better DAC/amp. I haven't tried Mojo2, but I hear noticeably better dynamics and a deeper stage with my Bifrost2/Jotunheim2 desktop rig, and cleaner, more refined details with no hint of any digital artefacts.

This is definitely a diminishing returns kind of thing, whether you think it's worth chasing those improvements comes down to your wallet and how obsessive you are. :wink:

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #22,285 of 23,560
Agree, both my U6t and A12t sound great out of my Mac, or even just my phone and the Apple dongle for that matter.

That said, A12t does scale well with a better DAC/amp. I haven't tried Mojo2, but I hear noticeably better dynamics and a deeper stage with my Bifrost2/Jotunheim2 desktop rig, and cleaner, more refined details with no hint of any digital artefacts.

This is definitely a diminishing returns kind of thing, whether you think it's worth chasing those improvements comes down to your wallet and how obsessive you are. :wink:
for home use i general use my hd800s with element 3, the only point of the mojo would be for travel on train or whatever to use the u12ts with my ipad/gaming device for movies etc. I feel like thats not worth the $800 investment

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #22,286 of 23,560
for home use i general use my hd800s with element 3, the only point of the mojo would be for travel on train or whatever to use the u12ts with my ipad/gaming device for movies etc. I feel like thats not worth the $800 investment
If U12t is going to be your only IEM then yeah maybe the mojo isn't worth it. Apple dongle is def good enough for gaming or watching shows on iPad anyway.

One advantage the mojo does have is the EQ you can set, if that's important to you, as iOS is notoriously difficult to deal with there.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #22,287 of 23,560
U12t sound different between source classes more than I expected, given that it has the LID circuit inside. Yes, the overall tonality / FR remains nearly identical, but it doesn’t mean that the amping and colouration of the DAC does not exist.

I have done a listening test for reviewing a new dongle yesterday, my observation:
  • A tiny DAP (AP80 Pro X): U12t feels like a waste of money, since it sounds nothing special. Not too crisp and clean, not too large stage, bass is kinda blunted and muddy.
  • Dongles (W4, KA3, XO): It’s alright. U12t sounds like a good IEM, but I still have a bit of question about its “worth it”.
  • iBasso DX300 or M6U+G5 amp: now U12t sounds like a special IEM. I like how the stage becomes large, like a dome around my head. Everything is just a bit more refined and crisp. Interestingly, the metallic timbre of the treble that I hear with dongles is gone.
Apple dongle is an exception, since it is surprisingly good with U12t. I needed to twist my ears to pick out the difference between it and my K7 in the past.

Anyhow, IMHO, keep a high quality DAC/amp that is not a dongle if you can.

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #22,288 of 23,560
U12t sound different between source classes more than I expected, given that it has the LID circuit inside. Yes, the overall tonality / FR remains nearly identical, but it doesn’t mean that the amping and colouration of the DAC does not exist.

I have done a listening test for reviewing a new dongle yesterday, my observation:
  • A tiny DAP (AP80 Pro X): U12t feels like a waste of money, since it sounds nothing special. Not too crisp and clean, not too large stage, bass is kinda blunted and muddy.
  • Dongles (W4, KA3, XO): It’s alright. U12t sounds like a good IEM, but I still have a bit of question about its “worth it”.
  • iBasso DX300 or M6U+G5 amp: now U12t sounds like a special IEM. I like how the stage becomes large, like a dome around my head. Everything is just a bit more refined and crisp. Interestingly, the metallic timbre of the treble that I hear with dongles is gone.
Apple dongle is an exception, since it is surprisingly good with U12t. I needed to twist my ears to pick out the difference between it and my K7 in the past.

Anyhow, IMHO, keep a high quality DAC/amp that is not a dongle if you can.
I am using 12t with Mojo 2 daily, since 12t is relatively sensitive, if you plug directly in M2, there are 2 disadvantages: hiss and too low level of digital volume, so you should give a try on the iFi ieMatch, it solves both 2 issues I mentioned, and incredibly improve the sound quality by a perfect black background and reaching ~50% volume of M2 (which gives you more dynamic range).

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #22,289 of 23,560
DD bass at its best is definitely superior but there are some poor implementations as well. U4s bass is fantastic though.

As for BA bass, the only BA bass I really like is the U12t’s and maybe the Helios’.
Sorry for chiming in late, but I've been off the website for about a week or more lol...
The U12T definitely has some nice BA bass. But if I had to throw another great into the mix, it would be the Andromeda Gold. The bass quality is incredible. At least to my amateur ears, the difference compared to DD bass is impossible for me to recognize 😅

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #22,290 of 23,560
How you liking the Ally? I got one last month on release as well. It's my first gaming PC and I'm enjoying the versatility.

Like others have said, the U12T are very sensitive so almost any source will make them sound great. I'm not sure how powerful the jack on the Ally is, but I'm sure it's got enough power for some decent headphones for gaming so it should make the U12T sound great. I haven't used the Ally for music so I can't compare... But I've used the U12T on my phone and small DAPS like the R3. When compared to the big boy DX320, the U12T scale on a whole other level of detail and separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back