The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #22,111 of 23,721
I was scared at first too, but then i tried , and its my #1 iem since then 😅
The Z1R and U12t are complementary sets. The bass and spacious presentation of the Z1R is a wonderful counterpoint to the U12t detail presences of vocals and smoothness that the U12t provides.
The fit with the Z1R prevents longer listening sessions, but I got a pair of custom silicone ear tips from ADV for the Z1R and they provide the perfect seal. When that seal is there the bass is amazing and the comfort is not an issue. The issue then switches to aesthetic as the custom ear tips put the Z1R shells outside of your ear canal (YMMV).
I’ve recently ordered the A4s to hopefully have something that sits between the two and is a good all-rounder.
One more thing about the U12t is that the longer I’ve had it, the more I appreciate the tuning. Listening to other sets is fun and they usually offer something different and different is good. But without that contrast I don’t think I’d appreciate the U12t as much as I do. My one regret was going for universal instead of custom fit. I think the issue of fit, the perfect seal and comfort trump slight improvements in sound quality.

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #22,112 of 23,721
The Z1R and U12t are complementary sets. The bass and spacious presentation of the Z1R is a wonderful counterpoint to the U12t detail presences of vocals and smoothness that the U12t provides.
The fit with the Z1R prevents longer listening sessions, but I got a pair of custom silicone ear tips from ADV for the Z1R and they provide the perfect seal. When that seal is there the bass is amazing and the comfort is not an issue. The issue then switches to aesthetic as the custom ear tips put the Z1R shells outside of your ear canal (YMMV).
I’ve recently ordered the A4s to hopefully have something that sits between the two and is a good all-rounder.
One more thing about the U12t is that the longer I’ve had it, the more I appreciate the tuning. Listening to other sets is fun and they usually offer something different and different is good. But without that contrast I don’t think I’d appreciate the U12t as much as I do. My one regret was going for universal instead of custom fit. I think the issue of fit, the perfect seal and comfort trump slight improvements in sound quality.
Thanks for the insight. The Z1R wasn’t on my shortlist before but I’m giving it a good hard look now. I’m now between it and the Trió.

I 100% agree - the longer I’ve had the U12t, the more I appreciate its tuning as well. I also appreciate the sentiment that the U12t’s contrast from different sets help me appreciate it more.

I like it as an all-rounder and as a good reference point/palate cleanser that helps me enjoy my more colored/fun sets.

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #22,113 of 23,721
Thanks for sharing your impressions everyone.

Just to clarify, I own and enjoy the U12t quite a bit. I’m looking at the U4s/Trió to complement my U12t.

The U12t, as some of you mentioned, can be safe tuning wise, has BA bass (good BA bass, but BA nonetheless), and isn’t as “fun” as some of the other IEMs you all mentioned.

I put a lot of thought into my collection, and I’m looking for among the best DD bass response, with solid tuning. The Z1R fit is a problem, so I’ve eliminated it, which leaves the Trió and a handful of others.

I’m a little concerned about the soft bass transients in the Trió (the U12t has this problem as well) but otherwise, it’s close to what I’m looking for.

As for the U4s, I’m aware it’s a step down technically from the U12t, as it should be for half the price. It’s still a compelling option at its price and one I’m considering getting anyway.
Have you considered any of the FiR Frontier series as a complement to U12t? They maintain a lot of the 64a aesthetic and heritage, with a very different and fun approach to tuning while still being highly technical.
Sorry this might be wrong to post it here
But have you tried z1r with 3rd party tips ?
I didn’t like the fit with the supplied tips but few 3rd party tips does really help with the fot and comfort.
I’m using it with final E tips and accustone ex70
The trick is to use smaller tips , deeper insertions than normal iem , it really does help woth the comfort . BUT its still big and heavy , so i tend to use it in my home when im sitting in sofa or couch.

If you can get the perfect fit, it will be your bass end game IEM, i guarantee. But if you can’t, the U4S really isn’t lacking too much.
The U4s loses in the subbass region and the bass punch is like 80% of Z1R IMHO.
Yep, when I had Z1R, deep insertion with Final E tips worked great. As good as Z1R is, ultimately it was not a highly compelling or compulsive listen for me; it made music sound great, but when I’d put it down, I never felt myself really craving to listen to it again like I do with A12t, Xe6, Andro2020 and several of my headphones. Setting aside tuning and technicality, this is the ultimate criteria for me whether I keep something long term.

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #22,114 of 23,721
Have you considered any of the FiR Frontier series as a complement to U12t? They maintain a lot of the 64a aesthetic and heritage, with a very different and fun approach to tuning while still being highly technical.

Yep, when I had Z1R, deep insertion with Final E tips worked great. As good as Z1R is, ultimately it was not a highly compelling or compulsive listen for me; it made music sound great, but when I’d put it down, I never felt myself really craving to listen to it again like I do with A12t, Xe6, Andro2020 and several of my headphones. Setting aside tuning and technicality, this is the ultimate criteria for me whether I keep something long term.
I’ve heard of FiR Audio but I haven’t seriously looked into them. I don’t know why I haven’t. I’ll go look them up, thanks for the rec and for sharing your Z1R experience.

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #22,115 of 23,721
If you are only going to buy one set - it should probably be the U12t. The exception is if you predominantly listen to rap, hip-hop, K-pop, EDM - then the Z1R is better.

For what I listen to, primarily rock, the U12t is the superior choice by some distance.

Happy to help if you have any questions on the U12t vs Z1R vs Monarch MKII. I owned all three and did a quite a lengthy comparison over a few weeks recently - eventually sold the Monarch and Sony.

Attachments

• IMG_3035.jpeg
    IMG_3035.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #22,117 of 23,721
Hi there,

I am between U12t and Fir Audio Krypto 5. Is anybody able to compare the 2?
Regards
It's a little while since I've heard Kr5, but I did have it for a few weeks as part of a tour last year and I got to know it pretty well.

First off, there are a lot more differences than similarities between these two, and if you are strongly considering one of them, it's a little odd you'd consider the other, as they are like chalk & cheese.

In general A/U12t is a very neutral, natural kind of sound with a nice sub-bass lift. Kr5 is intensely coloured, with an incredibly tactile 'in-your-face' kind of bass presentation coupled with fairly aggressive treble that is not harsh at all, just significantly elevated. To me, this created almost a 'hole' in the midrange, and I found myself focussing on either the bass or the treble, but I had difficulty hearing both together in harmony. I enjoyed it a lot if the focus of the music was at either end of the FR spectrum, and Kr5's treble emphasis makes it great at bringing out details.

I haven't heard Rn6 yet, but if you are comparing the Fir Frontier IEMs to the U12t, Ne4 is probably the one that is closest. It's got that amazingly tactile kinetic bass, but does sacrifice a bit in detail retrieval and imaging capability vs the 12t.

Have you had a chance to hear any of these yourself? That's really the best way to establish a baseline of what you know you like or don't like, and can make it easier to make some comparisons.

Jun 4, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #22,118 of 23,721
If you are only going to buy one set - it should probably be the U12t. The exception is if you predominantly listen to rap, hip-hop, K-pop, EDM - then the Z1R is better.

For what I listen to, primarily rock, the U12t is the superior choice by some distance.

Happy to help if you have any questions on the U12t vs Z1R vs Monarch MKII. I owned all three and did a quite a lengthy comparison over a few weeks recently - eventually sold the Monarch and Sony.
Thanks for your thoughts on the U12t. Would you mind sharing a brief, high-level comparison of the Monarch MKII and the U12t?

It’s difficult for me to get an accurate impression on what the Monarch MKII sounds like.

I think this is because Crinacle put it at the top of his IEM rankings some time ago and this created something of a hype-train.

This is unrelated but I noticed your signature and I can PM you about a pair of Variations I’m willing to sell if you’re still in the market for one.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #22,119 of 23,721
Thanks for your thoughts on the U12t. Would you mind sharing a brief, high-level comparison of the Monarch MKII and the U12t?

It’s difficult for me to get an accurate impression on what the Monarch MKII sounds like.

I think this is because Crinacle put these at the top of his IEM rankings some time ago and this created something of a hype-train.

This is unrelated but I noticed your signature and I can PM you about a pair of Variations I’m willing to sell if you’re still in the market for one.
I think they are comparable as they are striving to be similar IEMs - relatively neutral all-rounders. High level conclusion is the Monarch is technically good but boring whereas the U12t is an almost flawless endgame IEM.

The Monarch MKII is not fun nor engaging at all when compared with the U12t (M15 module only - haven’t used the others.) For me this mostly derives from the bass, while the Monarch MKII goes deeper with the sub bass, there is virtually no mid bass slam. The U12t is the IEM that sounds like it has DDs rather than the Monarch. Bass scores are like 6/10 for the Monarch and 8.5/10 for the U12t.

The mids are a wash - both excellent though my preference is still the U12t. The treble goes to the U12t, it’s more sparkly which is my preference. Overall resolution, detail, stage, dynamics (Monarch noticeably lacks in this area) go to the U12t too.

IMO the Monarch only has one thing over the U12t and that’s deeper sub bass. Oh and the fit of the Monarch is perfect for me but of course that’s going to be different for everyone. Of course this all disregards price and for double the money of the Monarch then the U12t should be better which, thankfully, it is.

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #22,120 of 23,721

I think this is because Crinacle put these at the top of his IEM rankings some time ago and this created something of a hype-train.

I have both- the u12t is like listening to the music in a perfectly arranged huge room/hall from high end system (maybe even better at times).
The Monarch 2 is more like listening to the small live concert outside.
U12t- warmer, more laid back, more bassy, especially in mid bass, slightly withdrawn vocals, more air up on top.
Monarch 2- perfectly neutral (not bright nor warm), more punchy subbass, way less midbass, the most amazing mids ive heard, smooth, detailed, laid back trebles.
Angagement- u12t wins, more musical and exciting. MMk2 perfectly even, slightly boring, tuning perfection.
Detail- both trade blows, on par i would say.
Separation- on par.
Layering similar but the u12t are more dynamic, so i feel like the layers are more "visible" and tangible.
Soundstage- u12t wins when switching fast. Its just big and holographic.
MMk2 has big stage but you need to wait for it as it isnt immediately as striking but the width, depth and hight are all there due to a very open midrange.
Naturalness/timbre- MMk2 wins fot me hands down. Everything sounds natural and realistic. When switching to the u12t, there is warmth hitting and the vocals seem slightly veiled in comparison (but they arent veiled per se).
Both have the most important factor for me- when i switch to either one, i just cant stop listening so both pass the most important test.
But i feel like the u12t give me more pleasure where the MMk2 are more demanding.

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #22,121 of 23,721
Have compared u4s and iBasso IT07 today and I‘d say they are pretty comparable and even. Generally similar direction in terms of tonality and technicalities, just u4s sounds a bit wider and has a tad less bass, while IT07 sounds even more dynamic and impactful but slightly more intimate.
In my imagination I was maybe selling the iBasso and get the U4s, but I discarded that plan now 😅
iBasso still have a great price permormance ratio in that „class“ - imo
But also nothing bad to say about the u4s either. Fantastic earphone! 😊

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #22,122 of 23,721
Anyone ordered their ciem with multiple apex modules?
Do they do a lower cost?
Cause basic cost is 99$ before tax and the 4 modules from firaudio are 199$, feels like i might aswell buy there.
Leaves a bad taste when you just order your ciem…

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #22,123 of 23,721
It's a little while since I've heard Kr5, but I did have it for a few weeks as part of a tour last year and I got to know it pretty well.

First off, there are a lot more differences than similarities between these two, and if you are strongly considering one of them, it's a little odd you'd consider the other, as they are like chalk & cheese.

In general A/U12t is a very neutral, natural kind of sound with a nice sub-bass lift. Kr5 is intensely coloured, with an incredibly tactile 'in-your-face' kind of bass presentation coupled with fairly aggressive treble that is not harsh at all, just significantly elevated. To me, this created almost a 'hole' in the midrange, and I found myself focussing on either the bass or the treble, but I had difficulty hearing both together in harmony. I enjoyed it a lot if the focus of the music was at either end of the FR spectrum, and Kr5's treble emphasis makes it great at bringing out details.

I haven't heard Rn6 yet, but if you are comparing the Fir Frontier IEMs to the U12t, Ne4 is probably the one that is closest. It's got that amazingly tactile kinetic bass, but does sacrifice a bit in detail retrieval and imaging capability vs the 12t.

Have you had a chance to hear any of these yourself? That's really the best way to establish a baseline of what you know you like or don't like, and can make it easier to make some comparisons.
Hi Neweymatt,

thanks for answering. The U12t is it for me. Listening mainly to jazz (nonvocal).
Regards

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #22,124 of 23,721
I’ve heard of FiR Audio but I haven’t seriously looked into them. I don’t know why I haven’t. I’ll go look them up, thanks for the rec and for sharing your Z1R experience.

Based on your IEMs (EA Anni, 7A Supernova, and U12), I think Fir Radon 6 should suit you well.

If you want something cheaper and more casual, U4s is the correct path already.

For me Radon 6 is like the perfect blend between XE6 and KR5. I haven't heard Neon 4 though.

Jun 5, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #22,125 of 23,721
Anyone ordered their ciem with multiple apex modules?
Do they do a lower cost?
Cause basic cost is 99$ before tax and the 4 modules from firaudio are 199$, feels like i might aswell buy there.
Leaves a bad taste when you just order your ciem…
I received M15 and M20 modules with the A12t, I'm pretty sure that's the standard packaging. While I already had a pair of MX that came with my U6t, I tried it once and haven't really thought to use it since.

M15 is perfect for almost all of my listening with A12t, except if I know I'll be somewhere particularly noisy I might go with the M20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back