The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #19,876 of 23,560
Hi all,
I am currently looking for my next IEM and hopefully this will be my endgame (or at least something that I will own for years to come). I currently own a pair of Fiio FH5 and I enjoy its sound signature.

I mostly listen to EDM (deep house to be more specific), indie, some pop, and a little rock. Currently, I was thinking between the U18t, U12t, or Trio. Which one will I like better coming from the FH5? Auditioning these IEMs would be the best way to decide but I can't find local stores that have 64a. Also open for other IEM suggestions and thanks in advance!
Haven’t heard U18t, but between U12t and Trio, I would choose U12t for deep house. As much as I liked the Trio for electronic music in general, I felt the v-shaped tuning and disjointedness between the DD bass and BA mids/highs to be way too pronounced when listening to deep house. As I’m sure you know, deep house as a genre has quite a lot more activity in the midrange compared to other types of electronic music and U12t does a much better job balancing the entire FR response than Trio, imho.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #19,878 of 23,560
Hi all,
I am currently looking for my next IEM and hopefully this will be my endgame (or at least something that I will own for years to come). I currently own a pair of Fiio FH5 and I enjoy its sound signature.

I mostly listen to EDM (deep house to be more specific), indie, some pop, and a little rock. Currently, I was thinking between the U18t, U12t, or Trio. Which one will I like better coming from the FH5? Auditioning these IEMs would be the best way to decide but I can't find local stores that have 64a. Also open for other IEM suggestions and thanks in advance!
Are you looking for customs or universal fit?

The Trio will give you more bass slam and sub-frequency because of its dynamic driver and tuning. The U12t is no slouch in this area, though, just not as in your face as the Trio, but the U12t is just better bass, and as Damz87 says, It's not disjointed with some music as Trio can be. The A4 is also excellent. Great tuning (IMO) very similar to the u12t. The downside to the Trio, for me, is its overall tuning. I find it too V-shaped, vocals (Mids) seem too far back in the mix, where the u12t is very much balanced through the spectrum. Highs. I also give to the U12t. They are offering probably the best resolution I've heard without ever being bright or grainy. The Trio. I feel they are a tad too bright for my taste, and less forgiving with poorly recorded/mixed music. The A4's are a fantastic IEM that seems to do almost everything well, especially at half or more cost of the Trio or U12t. If you have the money I would go custom and A12t route and never look back.
I also demoed the u18's, months back, but don't remember how they compared to the u12t, I just remember liking the U12t better. Another to check out would be the N8. tons of bass! but, can be a bit much, also muddy with certain music, I also didn't care for their overall tuning or soundstage. I'd recommend reaching out to 64 Audio and demo so of these models. I've also read good things about the Nio, I haven't heard them myself. I was told they are modeled after the N8s. Cheers!
BTW. I switched from Shure SE535 and SE846's to U12ts and Unique Melody Mest MKII.(Customs) Shure doesn't even come close to these IEMS! Not even in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #19,879 of 23,560
Hi all,

For an all around and if you only want ONE Iem, u12t for sure. It’s balanced but still with plenty of bass, does not have any major faults and it’s not fatiguing. It’s also pretty comfortable. Of all the Totl I had or tried, I cannot think about a better jack of all trades iem :)

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #19,880 of 23,560
In my experience, the COMPLY SmartCore Sport Pro Premium are the best tips for the U12t. They are specifically designed to “stay in place” and they do not slip with sweat or movement. They more comfortable and are as secure as my custom monitors.
Thanks for the tip😉 I bought the COMPLY tips you recommended. They don't fall out and sound great. 😁

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #19,882 of 23,560
Does this also apply on the trio?
This can loosely apply to all earphones, if they get wet just make sure to dry them and have a larger dehumidifier handy. Please don't take this as an excuse to go swimming wearing your IEMs or anything like that.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Apr 9, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #19,884 of 23,560
Lol I'm amazed we're even having this discussion in this thread. Don't get electronic devices wet. It ain't rocket surgery. Water + electricity = v.v bad :wink:
I agree that it's odd that some people would use thousand plus dollar iems in situations where they might get wet (other than stage artists).

But these are very very lower power devices that are relatively sealed off. I would imagine that a little bit of water is unlikely to short anything out, and as long as it's dried out, probably no real issue.

I still would avoid getting them wet, but yea...

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #19,885 of 23,560
While cleaning the grill/filter within my U12T nozzle, one part of the filter was pushed inward. I'm curious if anyone has had this problem and how they solved it?
Actually just happened to me lol...pretty badly...trying to fix it I pushed it in even further so I ended up sending them for repair again. Second time since buying them three months ago but that was clearly my fault, I definitely could have gone a little more easy cleaning them.

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #19,886 of 23,560
This can loosely apply to all earphones, if they get wet just make sure to dry them and have a larger dehumidifier handy. Please don't take this as an excuse to go swimming wearing your IEMs or anything like that.

Just wanted to mention that I recently bought a U18s, my first 64 Audio set, and I’m very happy with it’s sound. It fits in very well with my collection of IEMs with little redundancy. I also like the aesthetics and build quality. I keep hoping that maybe you guys will introduce an updated tia Fourte sometime in the future. I heard my friend’s set, and they are quite stunning although a little bit over the top in the trebles, for my ears anyway. 😁

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #19,887 of 23,560
Just wanted to mention that I recently bought a U18s, my first 64 Audio set, and I’m very happy with it’s sound. It fits in very well with my collection of IEMs with little redundancy. I also like the aesthetics and build quality. I keep hoping that maybe you guys will introduce an updated tia Fourte sometime in the future. I heard my friend’s set, and they are quite stunning although a little bit over the top in the trebles, for my ears anyway. 😁
I bought U18s and they are shipped
Should arrive next week
Now I have U12T here and ... 👌
Fourté will be next

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #19,888 of 23,560
Currently listening to Caustic Window through the u12t's/SP2000. They do electronic really well IMHO, anything with a lot of percussion/bass hits really hard for an all BA configuration. Can't speak to the u18t or the Trios, though.

I think the Trio is more geared towards EDM with its bass - upper mids - treble sparkle emphasis, but the U12t makes for a better all rounder Imo, handles more genres better

Haven’t heard U18t, but between U12t and Trio, I would choose U12t for deep house. As much as I liked the Trio for electronic music in general, I felt the v-shaped tuning and disjointedness between the DD bass and BA mids/highs to be way too pronounced when listening to deep house. As I’m sure you know, deep house as a genre has quite a lot more activity in the midrange compared to other types of electronic music and U12t does a much better job balancing the entire FR response than Trio, imho.

Thanks guys, I'm set on U12t now. Now my dilemma is between purchasing two years old U12t without a box paired with PWA 1960s cable or 5 hours old U12t for a similar price. Decision decision.

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #19,889 of 23,560
Thanks guys, I'm set on U12t now. Now my dilemma is between purchasing two years old U12t without a box paired with PWA 1960s cable or 5 hours old U12t for a similar price. Decision decision.
I'd personally take the U12t with the new logo honestly. Not a big fan of the 1960s even though it's a very well reviewed cable, and by this point it's pretty outdated Imo. Would much rather get some mid-priced silver instead

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #19,890 of 23,560
To add to that, you have at least 1year -5 hours of warranty left :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back