The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 6, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #19,846 of 23,560
I have the second newest gen of stock cable (the one with round splitter) and while it handles well enough, the memory wire needs to be declared a crime against comfort. And I mean it for other manufacturers as well, of course.

Edit: On the topic of cables - I just swapped my favourite EVO1 for a Fortitude (thanks @Eric Chong for the tour btw!) and while mids are less pronounced and separation is worse, Eletech's entry cable is one of the best performers in terms of suppleness. And since I intend to have my U12t as an EDC, EVO1's relative stiffness and larger gauge are not really helpful. I do love its sound though. Off topic as it is, may I note the Socrates is suprisingly stiffer than the EVO1, although it doesn't feel so to my hands.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #19,848 of 23,560
And I find it baffling that people actually believe cable upgrades and balanced out are necessary for iems.

But if people get some benefit from those whether perceived or real, then who am I to say they are wrong, so I keep that opinion to myself most of the time. I just have never heard a difference on my sources between balanced and single ended that I couldn't attribute to volume mismatches. Same with the few cables I have tried. And yes, I haven't tried multi thousand dollar cables or sources, but that's a bridge too far for me.

I would somewhat agree with balanced out use for iems (although I’m a big fan of the solidity of 4.4mm connectors), but cables do make a very audible difference in my experience. With that said, due to my flagship collecting and the ultra high resolution nature they have, it’s possible that those that argue against such upgrades from their own experience have lesser resolution sets. Either that or they are objectivists in their critique. ✌️

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #19,849 of 23,560
I think the 64 universals got a stock cable upgrade since they're more aimed at audiophiles... At least in their latest marketing photos the stuff they post looks much nicer. Their CIEMs, being mostly used on stage, come with cables that are supposed to last you a few shows until you get a new one

I generally avoid stock cables like the plague though, so I'm hardly a representative sample :D
To be clear, our CIEM cables are absolutely made to last. As with most things, if well taken care of, the cable can live just as long as your IEMs and it is made with low resistance wire. It is definitely designed to be more discrete, since that is something musicians prefer. We are working on some larger gauge/even lower resistance CIEM cables (ipx and .75mm 2pin) for customers who prefer that over the discrete physical profile of the current cables.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Apr 6, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #19,850 of 23,560
Me with my refrain again. I can't believe there is so much misunderstanding about balanced cables. A balanced cable by itself means absolutely nothing. The magic is (or isn't) in the balanced amplifier which may be superior to the single ended output on the same amp. To plug into the balanced output of the amp, you need a balanced cable.

To say a particular iem or 'all my iems' sound better balanced without talking about the particular amplifier you're referring to is inane.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #19,851 of 23,560
I have my ideas about him
Wondering why he puts the Monarch Mk II at #1

I feel the same in some aspects. I do feel it's a good starting point. My top 10 -while it has most of the models listed, I have them in a different order. For me the biggest advantage is just the list alone, there are lots on here to research. I also find his comments, tech grade, and set up to be more beneficial than the actual ranking. Cheers.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #19,852 of 23,560
While cleaning the grill/filter within my U12T nozzle, one part of the filter was pushed inward. I'm curious if anyone has had this problem and how they solved it?

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #19,853 of 23,560
Hi there!

Has anyone actually killed his 64Audio IEMs with the normal 2-pin connectors due to excessive sweating / salt? I know... it`s better to take no risk and to be careful with these expensive items, but I`m curious if the nightmare happened in reality :-o Maybe 64audio has seen such damages in their repair deparment already?

Sorry if the question has been asked before... Thread is a bit long to read everything. :)

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #19,855 of 23,560
Did you use the Shures on stage? Have you tried 12t on stage? If so, how would you compare them in that environemnet? Would something tuned for a musician /vocalist be a better tool or would the 12t blow them away in that usage as well?
Another thing to consider is size. Shure designed their IEM to be a true IN-EAR Monitor. The 535 with all its weak technical ability is one of the most comfortable IEMs, ever. The entire shell fits inside the concha (for most) this not only makes it comfortable but also gives a great seal. They are also extremely light. I still use a Shure 215 for hiking, running, and biking most of the time. They stay planted in my ear, and a big thing for me, they don't catch air while on a bike, nothing worse than wind catching an IEM sticking out the ear haha! Lots of manufacturers are stuffing these things with tons of drivers, making the shell big and bulky, and not the most comfortable to wear. For example JH audio IEMS. My work has a pair of JH13v2 that are so big they won't even stay sealed in my ear.
You may want to check out the soon-to-be-released Sennheiser ie600. I've heard lots of positive reviews and praise for its tuning, and soundstage. It's a single dynamic driver, with a small shell. I demoed the less expensive IE300. I didn't care for its tuning, but the fit was just as good, if not better than the Shure 215/535. Cheers.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #19,856 of 23,560
While cleaning the grill/filter within my U12T nozzle, one part of the filter was pushed inward. I'm curious if anyone has had this problem and how they solved it?
I ended up pulling the wire mesh filter back out using the tiny hooks on a sliver of velcro

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #19,857 of 23,560
So I have 64 Audio Nio coming in the mail, and was wondering what specific Spinfit tips it comes with by default. I am assuming it is CP145 but want to be sure so that I don't have to wait an extra few days waiting for mail days.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #19,858 of 23,560
Yes. (drummer) I started off with the 535's. Used them for over 5 years before switching to the 846's, and used them for a couple of years before finally making the leap into custom IEM's. Both served me well. Yes, I use the a12t's. (custom) Yes. Without a doubt, the u12t's are better in every possible way.

Again, you are talking about comparing a Ford Pinto to a Rolls Royce though, in performance and price. You are a musician? have you given any thought to custom in-ear monitors? There are lots of advantages, and I guess disadvantages, depending on what you are used to, sound isolation is one of them. Stage volume will be dramatically cut which is usually good depending on how you have your monitor mix, you may need to setup ambient mics to hear the audience, etc. IIn the case of 64 audio they use a technology called Apex. "There are three levels of isolation provided by apex, -20dB (m20), -15dB (m15), and -10dB (mX). The m15 allows for slightly more ambient sound than the m20, and helps temper the bass. The mX reduces the ambient noise isolation to only -10dB, but in return transforms earphones into a mastering-grade tool with a very resolved sound signature. Each of our in-ear monitors is built with a specific apex module in mind, however, our standard external apex modules are designed to be replaceable, so you can rotate between levels of isolation and sound flavors." Apex is used on universal and custom mold IEM's. I believe other manufacturers have similar ambient technologies for stage volume.
I also love that I don't have to worry about ear tips, tip rolling, etc. I have a perfect fit and seal, every time. I say if you have the money and you want a set of CIEM's the a12t's will serve you and bring you enjoyment for a very long time. 64 Audio also has fantastic customer service. Reach out to them. I think you should demo a few of there models. I'd suggest the A4, A6, u12t, and u18t. If you're a drummer or bass player and like or want the strongest bass possible I'd check out the N8's. I hop this helps you.
Thanks for the great response! I am a musician and a singer and I just got my A12ts! They are dope. No doubt! I just wanted to hear your input of using them all on stage if you had. I went through quite a neurotic trip down the rabbit hole (many hours on crincales website as well) trying to figure out what to get and almost got the UE7 pros, which like the 535, are "for singers." Im glad I went with the A12t but there is always that voice in the back of your head after a large and expensive purchase that I could have gotten what I "needed" for much cheaper. Im know I could have but I wanted to treat myself and Im glad I did. I haven't had a chance to use them much at rehearsal but from what I have, Im impressed. Really impressed! Another reason why Im glad I got the A12t is that my money went towards something I can use for casual listening as well, and my lord are these things glorious! Money well spent! Now im down a rabbit hole of DACs and dongles. :)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #19,859 of 23,560
Thanks for the great response! I am a musician and a singer and I just got my A12ts! They are dope. No doubt! I just wanted to hear your input of using them all on stage if you had. I went through quite a neurotic trip down the rabbit hole (many hours on crincales website as well) trying to figure out what to get and almost got the UE7 pros, which like the 535, are "for singers." Im glad I went with the A12t but there is always that voice in the back of your head after a large and expensive purchase that I could have gotten what I "needed" for much cheaper. Im know I could have but I wanted to treat myself and Im glad I did. I haven't had a chance to use them much at rehearsal but from what I have, Im impressed. Really impressed! Another reason why Im glad I got the A12t is that my money went towards something I can use for casual listening as well, and my lord are these things glorious! Money well spent! Now im down a rabbit hole of DACs and dongles. :)
Gald you are satisfied with your A12t's. They really are great headphones, for stage and music listening. My take on DAC/Dongles. I personally feel you don't need to spend much money. Especially if you have a really good headphone / IEM. I use a EarStudio ES100 for on the go most of the time. At home, if I'm using my iPhone I grab my DragonFly Red, but really I don't hear much difference between the iPhone lightning and the DragonFly with IEMs, being they are so easy to drive. In general most of my music listening comes from streaming from my phone, either on the go or casual listening at home, usually, DragonFly is enough for me, even with Hi-Res audio. I do own a Sony WM1Z that I usually update with new albums that I enjoy, but as of late I find myself going for my phone for convenience, even though the Sony offers a warmer organic sound. I feel how well the music was recorded and mixed and how good your headphones/ IEMs are is more important. Obviously, not everyone will have the same take as me, though. Cheers.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #19,860 of 23,560
I ended up pulling the wire mesh filter back out using the tiny hooks on a sliver of velcro
Sorry to hear that the mesh was pushed in, the wire end of the cleaner can do that with enough pressure. Feel free to send them in for service, we can replace the screen. contact support@64audio.com for a repair order link if that screen becomes an issue.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back