The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #19,831 of 23,560
Hi there!

Has anyone actually killed his 64Audio IEMs with the normal 2-pin connectors due to excessive sweating / salt? I know... it`s better to take no risk and to be careful with these expensive items, but I`m curious if the nightmare happened in reality :-o Maybe 64audio has seen such damages in their repair deparment already?

Sorry if the question has been asked before... Thread is a bit long to read everything. :)

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #19,832 of 23,560
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me asking you for advice in this thread.

I currently own a pair of Shure SE535, and am looking to upgrade. The SE535 are treating me very well, but I am looking for something even better. I am currently looking at the U18S, U18T or Fourté.

Since I can only listen to them in a store quite far from my home, I am asking for a first advice. Will I notice a lot of difference between the Shure IEMs and 64Audio? And what IEM will you recommend to me, the U18T, U18S or Fourté?

I listen a lot of Hans Zimmer, love to notice all details in music. Also listen to classical, pop, trance, Andrea Bocelli, vocal.
As a previous Shure SE535 and SE846 All I can say is the U12t or U18t are in another league, I mean...Not even close! Shure made designed the 535's for a true on-stage IEM, directly aimed at vocalists, they are tuned really flat from 20hz to 2K. Personally, If you have only experienced the 535's you might want to demo some IEM's before settling on a $2K IEM. Honestly, you may be plenty happy with a $100-200 IEM, like the Moodrop Starfield. or other single dynamic drivers IEM's. ThieAudio Monarch is another favorite of mine. $770 and in my opinion will compete with the $2,000 u12t. A very nice natural IEM with a nice bass boost. Unique Melody MEST MKII ($1,300) Is another IEM I own and would recommend.
As far as 64 Audio goes, they make some fantastic headphones but are also very expensive. Some say, not worth the cost..Personally, I would recommend the u12t over the u18 or fourte'.

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #19,833 of 23,560
As a previous Shure SE535 and SE846 All I can say is the U12t or U18t are in another league, I mean...Not even close! Shure made designed the 535's for a true on-stage IEM, directly aimed at vocalists, they are tuned really flat from 20hz to 2K. Personally, If you have only experienced the 535's you might want to demo some IEM's before settling on a $2K IEM. Honestly, you may be plenty happy with a $100-200 IEM, like the Moodrop Starfield. or other single dynamic drivers IEM's. ThieAudio Monarch is another favorite of mine. $770 and in my opinion will compete with the $2,000 u12t. A very nice natural IEM with a nice bass boost. Unique Melody MEST MKII ($1,300) Is another IEM I own and would recommend.
As far as 64 Audio goes, they make some fantastic headphones but are also very expensive. Some say, not worth the cost..Personally, I would recommend the u12t over the u18 or fourte'.
I find 64 audio iems are usually more durable and i feel comfortable working out and running in them. I have some of the other iems you mentioned and they sound awesome but don't have the layering and details or soundstage or durability like u18t IMHO. But i agree, one might find that the sound in those iems are good enough some say even better.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #19,834 of 23,560
Did you use the Shures on stage? Have you tried 12t on stage? If so, how would you compare them in that environemnet? Would something tuned for a musician /vocalist be a better tool or would the 12t blow them away in that usage as well?

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #19,835 of 23,560
I wouldn't necessarily say that they're flat to that extent, though. I used to own the 535 and, by today's standards, they roll off hard in the lows and highs. You'd be right in saying that even budget monitors today have stronger technical performance, especially in sub-bass rumble and top-end air. The U12t's would especially outperform them in those areas, without even talking about imaging, clarity, resolution, etc., which the 535 isn't the best at by today's standards either. But, yeah, the leap one would hear from a 535 to a U12t, for example, would be stark.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #19,836 of 23,560
Did you use the Shures on stage? Have you tried 12t on stage? If so, how would you compare them in that environemnet? Would something tuned for a musician /vocalist be a better tool or would the 12t blow them away in that usage as well?
Yes. (drummer) I started off with the 535's. Used them for over 5 years before switching to the 846's, and used them for a couple of years before finally making the leap into custom IEM's. Both served me well. Yes, I use the a12t's. (custom) Yes. Without a doubt, the u12t's are better in every possible way.

Again, you are talking about comparing a Ford Pinto to a Rolls Royce though, in performance and price. You are a musician? have you given any thought to custom in-ear monitors? There are lots of advantages, and I guess disadvantages, depending on what you are used to, sound isolation is one of them. Stage volume will be dramatically cut which is usually good depending on how you have your monitor mix, you may need to setup ambient mics to hear the audience, etc. IIn the case of 64 audio they use a technology called Apex. "There are three levels of isolation provided by apex, -20dB (m20), -15dB (m15), and -10dB (mX). The m15 allows for slightly more ambient sound than the m20, and helps temper the bass. The mX reduces the ambient noise isolation to only -10dB, but in return transforms earphones into a mastering-grade tool with a very resolved sound signature. Each of our in-ear monitors is built with a specific apex module in mind, however, our standard external apex modules are designed to be replaceable, so you can rotate between levels of isolation and sound flavors." Apex is used on universal and custom mold IEM's. I believe other manufacturers have similar ambient technologies for stage volume.
I also love that I don't have to worry about ear tips, tip rolling, etc. I have a perfect fit and seal, every time. I say if you have the money and you want a set of CIEM's the a12t's will serve you and bring you enjoyment for a very long time. 64 Audio also has fantastic customer service. Reach out to them. I think you should demo a few of there models. I'd suggest the A4, A6, u12t, and u18t. If you're a drummer or bass player and like or want the strongest bass possible I'd check out the N8's. I hop this helps you.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #19,837 of 23,560
Yes. (drummer) I started off with the 535's. Used them for over 5 years before switching to the 846's, and used them for a couple of years before finally making the leap into custom IEM's. Both served me well. Yes, I use the a12t's. (custom) Yes. Without a doubt, the u12t's are better in every possible way.

Again, you are talking about comparing a Ford Pinto to a Rolls Royce though, in performance and price. You are a musician? have you given any thought to custom in-ear monitors? There are lots of advantages, and I guess disadvantages, depending on what you are used to, sound isolation is one of them. Stage volume will be dramatically cut which is usually good depending on how you have your monitor mix, you may need to setup ambient mics to hear the audience, etc. IIn the case of 64 audio they use a technology called Apex. "There are three levels of isolation provided by apex, -20dB (m20), -15dB (m15), and -10dB (mX). The m15 allows for slightly more ambient sound than the m20, and helps temper the bass. The mX reduces the ambient noise isolation to only -10dB, but in return transforms earphones into a mastering-grade tool with a very resolved sound signature. Each of our in-ear monitors is built with a specific apex module in mind, however, our standard external apex modules are designed to be replaceable, so you can rotate between levels of isolation and sound flavors." Apex is used on universal and custom mold IEM's. I believe other manufacturers have similar ambient technologies for stage volume.
I also love that I don't have to worry about ear tips, tip rolling, etc. I have a perfect fit and seal, every time. I say if you have the money and you want a set of CIEM's the a12t's will serve you and bring you enjoyment for a very long time. 64 Audio also has fantastic customer service. Reach out to them. I think you should demo a few of there models. I'd suggest the A4, A6, u12t, and u18t. If you're a drummer or bass player and like or want the strongest bass possible I'd check out the N8's. I hop this helps you.
May I also suggest this website?

If you are not familiar with Crinacle, Look him up. I personally like his take on his reviews. I also have similar taste in his audio preferences and sound. Your mileage may vary, of course.

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #19,838 of 23,560

The A18t is incredible for drumming. :D

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #19,839 of 23,560
May I also suggest this website?

If you are not familiar with Crinacle, Look him up. I personally like his take on his reviews. I also have similar taste in his audio preferences and sound. Your mileage may vary, of course.

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
I have my ideas about him
Wondering why he puts the Monarch Mk II at #1

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #19,840 of 23,560
And I find it baffling that people actually believe cable upgrades and balanced out are necessary for iems.

But if people get some benefit from those whether perceived or real, then who am I to say they are wrong, so I keep that opinion to myself most of the time. I just have never heard a difference on my sources between balanced and single ended that I couldn't attribute to volume mismatches. Same with the few cables I have tried. And yes, I haven't tried multi thousand dollar cables or sources, but that's a bridge too far for me.
I seem to have stepped on your tail there. Since you quote me, I have to clarify that I've made neither of those assertions.

1. Cable upgrades.

I believe in cables, but not in multi kilobuck ranges but I'm willing to drop into the $1K area for something that I enjoy.

Clearly I didn't differentiate swapping out the stock 64 cable for a better built cable as opposite to other things. And that's my mistake. But nowhere did I say you need to swap out for the latest orichalcum cable refined from the corpse of an Atlantean Sorceror.

2. Balanced.

I specifically mentioned that balanced can be beneficial provided proper circuit design, and in particular with iems that scale. Nowhere did I stated that was necessary.

I personally just prefer balanced because the plugs are sturdier. And it my gear has a well engineered balanced out? Why not.

Don't claim things I didn't say

One last thing: it's more or less accepted that people will gravitate to what gear they find enjoyable. It's just classless to attack the opposing view followed by a "but ymmv"

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #19,841 of 23,560
Just noticed this
Anyway it's as usual ... measurements
Next all comments go about the distortion
So non of these people commenting own a tube amp I suppose ...
Neither mention 'nevertheless I'll give it a shot and will try it when I have the opportunity and let my ears decide'
Guess many desktop jockeys out there
Well each their own fun in the hobby ... 🤷

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/64-audio-u12t-review-iem.32518/
I use to be against any sort of distortion when I initially came into the hobby. Turns out it's not that cut and drop.

I take those figures into consideration when auditioning gear. But my ears make the final decision.

It would be a shame to miss out on an excellent piece of gear just because the metrics were off.
Honestly, the A18t is probably my spirit animal. The shimmer, the crispness, the shattering detail in the high frequencies--it makes me so sad that I will never experience what that level of detail really means. But I did very bad things to my ears for a long, long time. I have certain frequencies at certain strengths that I could maybe tolerate for a few seconds, but that's about it. I don't think this is completely on me, as many talk about the "fatigue" of listening to these ultra-sharp devices (like the A18t), so perhaps regardless I'd have ended up on on the A18s anyway, but for me, they are absolutely "perfect". As a former serious musician (#seriouslyBroke), everything I touch here is a SEVERE financial commitment. My A18s purchase was a severe leap of faith, and...just...wow! HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS...probably at a volume that SHOULD be unacceptable, but oh...my...it is SO GOOD! I have the bane of a stonkingly bad case of "recruitment", and I hope none of you ever know what I've talking about, but the reality is that the "things" that make a listening session absolutely amazing push you into the "experience zone".

So, yeah, "sublime"--the A18s is a window into every mixing room for every piece of music I've ever listened to. That should have been all caps--MY A18S IS A WINDOW INTO EVERY MIXING ROOM FOR EVERY PIECE OF MUSIC I'VE EVER LISTENED TO. Seriously, there is no question this is the "artist level experience". I absolutely know that there is a better, more perfect version of listening to everything put on, but THIS VERSION doesn't make my ears hurt and leaves me with an infinite amount of listening available. Honestly, it does feel closer to the musician experience (as we are absolutely IDIOTS in protecting our ears), but the simple truth is that I put my A18s in, I dial up the volume, and I'm 99.9% sure that this is the ABSOLUTE BEST sound I could ever hope to get into my head given "all of it".
I'm still not sure if my experience with the 18t was coloured by the fact that I demod the Fourte right before it.

The 18t came across as extremely underwhelming to my ears and I've been hesitant to try the 18s.
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me asking you for advice in this thread.

I currently own a pair of Shure SE535, and am looking to upgrade. The SE535 are treating me very well, but I am looking for something even better. I am currently looking at the U18S, U18T or Fourté.

Since I can only listen to them in a store quite far from my home, I am asking for a first advice. Will I notice a lot of difference between the Shure IEMs and 64Audio? And what IEM will you recommend to me, the U18T, U18S or Fourté?

I listen a lot of Hans Zimmer, love to notice all details in music. Also listen to classical, pop, trance, Andrea Bocelli, vocal.
The tech has really progressed since those initially came out. My first serious iem was the SE215 and those sounded stupendous. I didn't have a chance to try the 535 until last year, but it immediately stood out to me why it was such a benchmark.

It's hard to make a comparison of any sort because the 535 just doesn't hold up to the test of time and progress. The biggest jump will probably be the 12t than smaller jumps as you move up the line up. I'd recommend go up at 12t > 18t > 18s > Fourte
Hi there!

Has anyone actually killed his 64Audio IEMs with the normal 2-pin connectors due to excessive sweating / salt? I know... it`s better to take no risk and to be careful with these expensive items, but I`m curious if the nightmare happened in reality :-o Maybe 64audio has seen such damages in their repair deparment already?

Sorry if the question has been asked before... Thread is a bit long to read everything. :)
I'm the loon that hikes with his A12ts. I've had them for a 1 1/4, year and no issues.

@aaf evo exercises with his A12t, but his are IPX I believe.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #19,842 of 23,560
I still find it baffling that there are people who are okay with the stock.
Depends on what cable comes as stock with the IEM. The Andro2020 came with a damn fine 3.5mm cable that I've never considered replacing, CFA/ALO are well known for the quality of their cables after all. The Z1R also ships with a pair of cables that are pretty much universally regarded as excellent.

The cable that came with my 3DT however is offensive, and while UM do get a lot of things right, they should be embarrassed to include that cable with what is otherwise a pretty great IEM for it's price. The cable that comes with the CCA CRA is much better as a point of comparison...
And I find it baffling that people actually believe cable upgrades and balanced out are necessary for iems.
Balanced is probably not 'necessary' for many IEMs, but it definitely can improve those that scale well, again I refer to the Z1R as a prime example.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #19,843 of 23,560
Depends on what cable comes as stock with the IEM. The Andro2020 came with a damn fine 3.5mm cable that I've never considered replacing, CFA/ALO are well known for the quality of their cables after all. The Z1R also ships with a pair of cables that are pretty much universally regarded as excellent.

The cable that came with my 3DT however is offensive, and while UM do get a lot of things right, they should be embarrassed to include that cable with what is otherwise a pretty great IEM for it's price. The cable that comes with the CCA CRA is much better as a point of comparison...

Balanced is probably not 'necessary' for many IEMs, but it definitely can improve those that scale well, again I refer to the Z1R as a prime example.
It was more a dig at ye olde stock 64 cable (I'll have to try the newer one to make a verdict).

But I agree some stock cables are excellent like the CFA offerings. Or even what you see paired with the Balmung. Having owned 3 customs and 3 universal 64 models, I have quite a number of very new stock 64 cables sitting around.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #19,844 of 23,560
It was more a dig at ye olde stock 64 cable (I'll have to try the newer one to make a verdict).

But I agree some stock cables are excellent like the CFA offerings. Or even what you see paired with the Balmung. Having owned 3 customs and 3 universal 64 models, I have quite a number of very new stock 64 cables sitting around.
I think the 64 universals got a stock cable upgrade since they're more aimed at audiophiles... At least in their latest marketing photos the stuff they post looks much nicer. Their CIEMs, being mostly used on stage, come with cables that are supposed to last you a few shows until you get a new one

I generally avoid stock cables like the plague though, so I'm hardly a representative sample :D

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #19,845 of 23,560
One last thing: it's more or less accepted that people will gravitate to what gear they find enjoyable. It's just classless to attack the opposing view followed by a "but ymmv
Wasn't meant that way, I saw you comment and it seemed like a blanket statement and I didn't agree with the wording. I think what I think but genuinely don't care what others think, just when someone says that my preferences are baffling... Well that's where frustration shows up. But, it seems that maybe I read more into it than I should have, and for that I apologize.

Because yes, the old 64 stock cable wasn't great. As raz said though, they have since changed to a much nicer stock cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back