The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #19,366 of 23,694
This sounds risky. Part of the blutack could get stuck in the mesh, and as you say, the mesh can be damaged, it is quite vulnerable. I use the brush and an iemvac, every once in a while.
The putty is pretty dense so I don't think there's too much risk in it getting stuck in the mesh, but the risk of pushing the mesh in is pretty real.

Brush is probably the safest option.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #19,367 of 23,694
U18t arrived this afternoon, been listening most of the evening with a variety of tracks.
Dare I say it but may have reached end game!
Combo of U18t with AK sp2000t in hybrid amp mode has been sublime.

20220125_234032.jpg

Now off to try with the IFI Gryphon.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #19,369 of 23,694
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #19,370 of 23,694
as long as you know you are kidding yourself lol

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #19,371 of 23,694
Just wondering if you're possibly confusing LID and APEX here as the first is about linear impedance while the latter is about the vents?

drftr
Not really, I was mainly referring to just how well the U6t sounded with the inflight entertainment system 3.5 jack, whereas the OI of that system ruined the Andro.

You are right tho, the 20db isolation is also very helpful in this use case as well for sure.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #19,372 of 23,694
I am in the market for an mid priced (US$300-400) aftermarket cable for my a12t that uses 0.75 2-pin. Not having much luck. Would prefer not to jam 0.78s in. Any leads?

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #19,375 of 23,694
Just remembering why A12t is a masterpiece and used as base reference by many people. :)

I wasn’t expecting the drums to go this deep on the song below… then the rest of the song is just as the cherry on top of the cake.

PS.: all of that with the almighty and reliable apple dongle.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #19,376 of 23,694
What tips are you all using on your U12t? I like the clean crisp sound of the medium foam that came with them. But the seal, comfort are better with final audio large silicone. With the silicone it seems like the mid bass is not as strong but sub base is stronger. I’m using the black insert I seem to like that best it provides a nice open soundstage.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #19,377 of 23,694
What tips are you all using on your U12t? I like the clean crisp sound of the medium foam that came with them. But the seal, comfort are better with final audio large silicone. With the silicone it seems like the mid bass is not as strong but sub base is stronger. I’m using the black insert I seem to like that best it provides a nice open soundstage.
I've settled on SpinFit CP145 (L). Have tried the stock tips (both types - blergh), tried Complys but didn't like what they do to the sound.

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #19,378 of 23,694
From what I've gathered durability on these 64audio IEM's are fairly good but the most common failure point is the stock 2-pin cable, which many reviewers recommend replacing. This is odd to me for a 1k+ IEM, you would think the stock cable would be the best match for the IEM; not a detriment over time.

I'm curious if there is anyone in this thread who has used the stock cable for a few years and hasn't had any issues.

Precogs review said: "That aside, something I’m not a fan of at all is the stock cable. It almost feels like…paper mache? Worse yet, the memory wire exacerbates the strain on the IEM’s connector joints each time you adjust the cable. No thanks, I would plan to pick up an upgrade cable. "

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #19,379 of 23,694
From what I've gathered durability on these 64audio IEM's are fairly good but the most common failure point is the stock 2-pin cable, which many reviewers recommend replacing. This is odd to me for a 1k+ IEM, you would think the stock cable would be the best match for the IEM; not a detriment over time.

I'm curious if there is anyone in this thread who has used the stock cable for a few years and hasn't had any issues.

Precogs review said: "That aside, something I’m not a fan of at all is the stock cable. It almost feels like…paper mache? Worse yet, the memory wire exacerbates the strain on the IEM’s connector joints each time you adjust the cable. No thanks, I would plan to pick up an upgrade cable. "
64 Audio updated the cable that ships with many of their universal IEMs in December 2021 to the Premium Cable and I‘ll give their team credit for designing and including a better cable. And if Precogvision’s opinion actually matters to you (slightly weird, no?) he wrote, “…the included cable is perfectly useable without the pesky memory wire or sand-papery texture of the maligned, previous cable.”

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #19,380 of 23,694
I had myself a tip journey when I got these 3ish weeks ago and honestly I’ve gone back and settled on the stock silicone (M). I didn’t really like them at first (hence why I started tip rolling), but now that I’ve gotten more used to them and how to properly insert the IEMs (basically learning they’re not quite as deep fitting as I’m used to) I actually find them to be pretty comfortable once they’re in my ears and they stay put no matter how much I move around. The purist in me finds additional comfort knowing I’m using the ones that are apparently most true to the intended sound. And I hear them pretty much the same way; strong sub-bass, linear mid-bass through the mids with airy treble.

Despite all this though, them sounding good, sealing well and secure in my ear, I’m still mildly skeptical that I’m not getting the right fit? Idk why I feel that way, maybe it’s because I’m always able to push them in a little further but they sound worse when I do (more and more like underwater the further I go, to the sound eventually becoming near silent). And when I pull on them very gently they don’t try to come out. I might be overthinking the process here, I’m just paranoid about missing out on certain aspects of sound.

I also tried the SpinFit CP145 (M) but I had trouble getting them to fit. I then tried the Azla SednaEarFit Light (S) and kept them as a nice alternative, but they did change the sound a bit and I think for the worse? They nicely go into my ears more flush and they feel even MORE secure thanks to the material being a little more thick and firm and the bore being a bit longer, providing a deeper fit. I’m unable to push these into my ear more when they’re in. They do start to feel less comfortable over a longer period though.

Sonically they seem to shift everything a bit south. First thing I noticed was that the bass is even stronger, both sub and mid-bass. I do feel like this makes them sound a little more boomy and less clear/textured, but the trade off is some nice added body to the lower mids. They make the U12t sound even beefier. The kicker however is that they pretty much cut out the air and sparkle that makes the U12t so special. So some of the finer treble details go missing and the sound is less extended and open. I typically like a more bass and lower-mids focused sound, but not at the expense of such good sounding treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• dyre
Back