The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #13,726 of 23,562
Could someone tell me what comply foam tips size NIO uses?
The nozzle on the NIO seems to have a different design from all the rest of the universal lineup.
Many thanks!!

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #13,727 of 23,562
Another day, another novel :D As usual, lots of stuff is covered from design to cable (including differences and details about professional, premium, and new silver), sound analysis with every single available APEX/ATOM XL module, comparison to other iems, pair up with different sources, and even eartips and cable rolling notes. Enjoy the read!

Barnstorming review yet again, Alex. Your reviews have become the porta-fi wiki of Head-Fi, which is really cool. Helps when you know how to comprehensibly describe exactly what it is you're hearing.

I think we (Nio users) have been waiting for quite some time to read what you made of it, and your impressions seem to tally very closely with mine. I've been using the terms organic, smooth, natural and laid-back to describe the Nio from the very earliest days, and was pleasantly surprised (and relieved that I'm not deaf!) to read them back in your review.

I personally prefer the elevated bass and slightly more euphonic vocals with the M15 over the N0 (which I bought to experiment with), but I may just go back to N0 to hear again how it opens up the upper registers. I haven't even bothered plugging the MX in because 'mid-forward bass-light' is my audio kryptonite.

One thing I did notice is how you were looking for (and not finding) too many similarities between the N8 and Nio, and that's because Nio isn't similar to the N8...it's similar to the N8 Uni (which, I know, is not a commercially available IEM). Just one look at Crin's graphs pretty much explains it.

graph (33).png

graph (34).png

Thanks again for this review, much appreciated.

PS. Did you get to hear the Nio with the PW 5 or PW 10 cables? I'm loving it with the 10 (8-wire) and have a 5 (8-wire) on order, both of which I'll cover in my own Nio review.

Edit: Alex one more question if I may - is there any hissing with the Nio on the balanced out of the R8 (with/without turbo)? There's absolutely none on the R6 Pro in high-gain balanced mode so I'm curious if the R8 is actually noisier than the R6 Pro.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #13,728 of 23,562
Barnstorming review yet again, Alex. Your reviews have become the porta-fi wiki of Head-Fi, which is really cool. Helps when you know how to comprehensibly describe exactly what it is you're hearing.

I think we (Nio users) have been waiting for quite some time to read what you made of it, and your impressions seem to tally very closely with mine. I've been using the terms organic, smooth, natural and laid-back to describe the Nio from the very earliest days, and was pleasantly surprised (and relieved that I'm not deaf!) to read them back in your review.

I personally prefer the elevated bass and slightly more euphonic vocals with the M15 over the N0 (which I bought to experiment with), but I may just go back to N0 to hear again how it opens up the upper registers. I haven't even bothered plugging the MX in because 'mid-forward bass-light' is my audio kryptonite.

One thing I did notice is how you were looking for (and not finding) too many similarities between the N8 and Nio, and that's because Nio isn't similar to the N8...it's similar to the N8 Uni (which, I know, is not a commercially available IEM). Just one look at Crin's graphs pretty much explains it.

graph (33).png

graph (34).png

Thanks again for this review, much appreciated.

PS. Did you get to hear the Nio with the PW 5 or PW 10 cables? I'm loving it with the 10 (8-wire) and have a 5 (8-wire) on order, both of which I'll cover in my own Nio review.

Edit: Alex one more question if I may - is there any hissing with the Nio on the balanced out of the R8 (with/without turbo)? There's absolutely none on the R6 Pro in high-gain balanced mode so I'm curious if the R8 is actually noisier than the R6 Pro.

Tried Nio with R8, Silver Premium cable 4.4mm termination, high gain in Turbo Mode with my usual The Curse first 30sec test track, and no hissing, don't even hear waterfall background.

Only have #5 and #10 in 4wire, both good pair ups, as I just quickly checked it, but I prefer #10 since it improves the resolution and adds more texture to the bass. But at the same time, both of these lifted the bass up a bit. In theory, 8wire version will have a lower impedance which could also lower the bass impact in other IEMs, but Nio has LID so it won't matter here. For my taste, #10 will be a better pair up.

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #13,729 of 23,562
Tried Nio with R8, Silver Premium cable 4.4mm termination, high gain in Turbo Mode with my usual The Curse first 30sec test track, and no hissing, don't even hear waterfall background.

Thanks Alex. Now THAT, gentlemen and ladies, is how you design an IEM. Don't go blaming the DAP when your over-sensitive IEM sounds like a walk in a waterpark.

In theory, 8wire version will have a lower impedance which could also lower the bass impact in other IEMs, but Nio has LID so it won't matter here.

Oh, and that too. Impedance curves? What's that?

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #13,732 of 23,562
Terrific and insightful write-up @twister6 - really appreciate all the effort that went into this review (and all the others of course).

I’m particularly interested in how the R8 as a DAP handles the 64 Audio IEMs, especially the Nio, Trio and U12t. That is, so they work well together in terms of synergy and performance? Anything you found to be lacking that perhaps was achieved better in other DAPs?

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #13,733 of 23,562
Terrific and insightful write-up @twister6 - really appreciate all the effort that went into this review (and all the others of course).

I’m particularly interested in how the R8 as a DAP handles the 64 Audio IEMs, especially the Nio, Trio and U12t. That is, so they work well together in terms of synergy and performance? Anything you found to be lacking that perhaps was achieved better in other DAPs?

I have the R8, Tia Trio and A12t. Haven't paired them up yet as I am working through my IEMs one at a time with adequate listening time to understand the best settings for each IEM. It may be the weekend before I get good listening time.

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #13,734 of 23,562
Another day, another novel :D As usual, lots of stuff is covered from design to cable (including differences and details about professional, premium, and new silver), sound analysis with every single available APEX/ATOM XL module, comparison to other iems, pair up with different sources, and even eartips and cable rolling notes. Enjoy the read!

64audio-nio-15.jpg
Great review and an informative read. I love my Nio. I'm running them with the PW Audio No 10 8-wire and the Cayin N6ii E02. I could listen to them all day and with the APEX modules I can get that great bass without any fatigue; unlike some other IEM's I have tried.

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #13,735 of 23,562
Hey guys, what some recommendation on a cable for my nio. I really like the 64 silver cable, but I'm not a fan of the memory wire. I know I can remove it, but ideally would like a molded earhook for support as I find it takes some of the weight off the inner ear.

I bought a cheap fun duw-02 cable, as I liked the ability to change plugs, but... It's cheap. The 2 pin connectors are large, there's a big gap there when worn (as I have to angle the nio forward a bit), and the twist of the cable feels cheap.

I have looked at eletech, pw, and some others, but it seems they all have those long 2 pin connectors. I looked at for but their cables are on the slightly high end of my price range, and I am hesitant about an 8 wire cable being too bulky.

So, looking at maybe $200-$300 on the high end, small or right angled 2 pin connectors, 4 wire likely (unless it's smaller gauge 8 wire). And molded earhooks. Ergonomics/comfort are of top concern, then I also want it to look nice too. Not sure worried about sound as I have yet to hear a cable make any real noticeable difference, but won't discount synergy with the nio.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #13,736 of 23,562
Hey guys, what some recommendation on a cable for my nio. I really like the 64 silver cable, but I'm not a fan of the memory wire. I know I can remove it, but ideally would like a molded earhook for support as I find it takes some of the weight off the inner ear.

I bought a cheap fun duw-02 cable, as I liked the ability to change plugs, but... It's cheap. The 2 pin connectors are large, there's a big gap there when worn (as I have to angle the nio forward a bit), and the twist of the cable feels cheap.

I have looked at eletech, pw, and some others, but it seems they all have those long 2 pin connectors. I looked at for but their cables are on the slightly high end of my price range, and I am hesitant about an 8 wire cable being too bulky.

So, looking at maybe $200-$300 on the high end, small or right angled 2 pin connectors, 4 wire likely (unless it's smaller gauge 8 wire). And molded earhooks. Ergonomics/comfort are of top concern, then I also want it to look nice too. Not sure worried about sound as I have yet to hear a cable make any real noticeable difference, but won't discount synergy with the nio.

Effect Audio’s Vogue line should do you nicely with those criteria. Their hardware and connectors are tiny and light, and they all use slightly-thinner, 26 AWG wires as well. I’d recommend the Virtuoso, as, in case you do hear a difference in sound, it’s the one I think would match best with the Nio. Eletech’s more affordable offerings don’t have the best ergonomics in my experience, and PW’s sit sorta in-between. PW’s would probably have the more robust, durable design, though, so it’ll be up to whether you prefer that or the Vogue line’s ergonomics.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #13,737 of 23,562

I think Fir audio's cables are similar to the 64 audio one and you can choose if you want the memory wire or not.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #13,738 of 23,562
Thinking about a couple of 64 audio aluminum cases for my A12t and Tia Trio. I like those better than the plastic cases. Also at $39, they are less expensive than the JH Audio cases, which are $100. My Empire Ears and JH Audio cases are all round, except for the Lola case. I am thinking about getting a Pelican case to hold all my IEMs in their cases. I guess I could get a Pelican case and hold all the IEMs out of their cases.

Any one using a Pelican case to contain multiple IEMs for travel such as vacation?

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #13,739 of 23,562
Effect Audio’s Vogue line should do you nicely with those criteria. Their hardware and connectors are tiny and light, and they all use slightly-thinner, 26 AWG wires as well. I’d recommend the Virtuoso, as, in case you do hear a difference in sound, it’s the one I think would match best with the Nio. Eletech’s more affordable offerings don’t have the best ergonomics in my experience, and PW’s sit sorta in-between. PW’s would probably have the more robust, durable design, though, so it’ll be up to whether you prefer that or the Vogue line’s ergonomics.
I had checked them out before but I'll give them another look. The 2 pin connectors still looked a little later, but I guess the flat connector would be a better choice.
I think Fir audio's cables are similar to the 64 audio one and you can choose if you want the memory wire or not.
Other than the silver cable, I found the 64 cables stiff and just didn't feel great in the hand. So I wasn't sure about firs cables, especially since it looks like they offer 8 wire only. I love the customization options they have though.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #13,740 of 23,562
Thinking about a couple of 64 audio aluminum cases for my A12t and Tia Trio. I like those better than the plastic cases. Also at $39, they are less expensive than the JH Audio cases, which are $100. My Empire Ears and JH Audio cases are all round, except for the Lola case. I am thinking about getting a Pelican case to hold all my IEMs in their cases. I guess I could get a Pelican case and hold all the IEMs out of their cases.

Any one using a Pelican case to contain multiple IEMs for travel such as vacation?
Have you seen the newer Pelican cases from 64 Audio? They are better than the old plastic cases and I think would work better than the round aluminum cases. https://www.64audio.com/collections/protective-cases/products/pelican-case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back