The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #13,546 of 23,561
Holy smokes! My first impressions of the Trios are pretty darn amazing. Do you guys have any favorite cable pairings with them?
I’ve listened to a few different cables with the Trio. Some I own, some I’ve borrowed and some I’ve spent time with auditioning. These are some of my thoughts on them. Bear in mind this was how they sound to my ears, and of course we are all different in what we like and hear. Anyway:

Effect Audio Eros II
This was the first aftermarket cable I tried. The Eros II really opened up the upper mids and the top end of the Trio but I felt it left the bottom end a bit wanting. This to me was a shame as the Trio has a great low end.

Effect Audio Thor Silver II
This to me was less bright than the Eros II, but the sound felt a bit thicker. It still had a top end but it seemed more smoothed off. It also brought in a bit more bass. My overall impression was that this cable was starting give some synergy between lows, mids and highs.

Effect Audio Lionheart
Now this was nice. It was the cable equivalent of floating along on warm syrupy honey. I still find this cable difficult to describe. What bit did what? I don’t care. I just wanted to curl up in its arms and fall asleep.

PlusSound Exo GPS
Smooth with some detail is how I remember this. It was a really good pairing with the Trio and I recall enjoying its easy going signature and the separation between instruments. The top end was not bright and I don’t recall the low end being too enhanced either. I think the word balanced is what I would say.

PW Audio No.5
Now this is a quality copper cable and also not that expensive either. This is what I would describe as a warm and cuddly cable. But don’t let that fool you as the No.5 punches well above its weight and can hold its own with the Trio.

Effect Audio Thor Silver II +
A step up from the standard TS II, here everything is tightened up and taken up a notch. Highs become more detailed, mids become more clear and the bass hits a little harder. IMO a very good pairing with the Trio.

Effect Audio Leonidas II
I recall this having lots of detail while opening up the mids and top end of the Trio. Although I really liked the clarity this bought, I found it a little thin on the lows and it didn’t have that bit of ‘umph’ in the Trio bass that I like. This is a very good cable though and quite popular.

Satin Audio Hyperion 8 Wire
This was a fairly inexpensive cable, relative to this hobby of course. This was a touch above the stock premium cable IMO in sound but was also an SPC. I think for the price (again relative) you are getting a good deal. It was also possibly the nicest feeling cable I’d handled.

Effect Audio Horus
This was a top quality cable. It sounded lovely. It felt balanced and just seemed to do everything well. It was like the little bears porridge in the Goldilocks story, it was ‘just right’. If I’d only had the cash when I auditioned it I would have bought it right there and then.

PW Audio 1950’s
I haven’t yet found the words to describe this cable. It is just on another level. I haven’t spent very long with this yet, but with the listening I have done, I already feel that it is something special. It is not a cable you would use for every day bopping I don’t think, but more where you want to sit back in a quiet room and just listen to how it portrays your music.

Ha ha...Feels like I’m making a long list. I hope it is of some use though 😃

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #13,547 of 23,561
The music I find myself listen to the most are female vocals, pop, jazz (mostly soft instrumental jazz), piano, instrumentals. But I actually listen to many genres once in a while such as classical, country, rock, Chinese vocals. Once in a long time RB, hip hop, rap. What I don’t listen to is metal.
I have the Fourte Noir and Solaris SE, and the genres I listen to are quite similar to yours. I find the Fourte Noir is better in instruments and soundstage, but in female vocals, mid to high-mid ranges, sounds relatively thinner and backward, comparing to the Solaris. Solaris drives the vocal more forward and sounds full and outstanding. Just my 2 cents

The Fourte has a different tuning than the Noir, but at least they share something in common.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #13,548 of 23,561
I’ve listened to a few different cables with the Trio. Some I own, some I’ve borrowed and some I’ve spent time with auditioning. These are some of my thoughts on them. Bear in mind this was how they sound to my ears, and of course we are all different in what we like and hear. Anyway:

Effect Audio Eros II
This was the first aftermarket cable I tried. The Eros II really opened up the upper mids and the top end of the Trio but I felt it left the bottom end a bit wanting. This to me was a shame as the Trio has a great low end.

Effect Audio Thor Silver II
This to me was less bright than the Eros II, but the sound felt a bit thicker. It still had a top end but it seemed more smoothed off. It also brought in a bit more bass. My overall impression was that this cable was starting give some synergy between lows, mids and highs.

Effect Audio Lionheart
Now this was nice. It was the cable equivalent of floating along on warm syrupy honey. I still find this cable difficult to describe. What bit did what? I don’t care. I just wanted to curl up in its arms and fall asleep.

PlusSound Exo GPS
Smooth with some detail is how I remember this. It was a really good pairing with the Trio and I recall enjoying its easy going signature and the separation between instruments. The top end was not bright and I don’t recall the low end being too enhanced either. I think the word balanced is what I would say.

PW Audio No.5
Now this is a quality copper cable and also not that expensive either. This is what I would describe as a warm and cuddly cable. But don’t let that fool you as the No.5 punches well above its weight and can hold its own with the Trio.

Effect Audio Thor Silver II +
A step up from the standard TS II, here everything is tightened up and taken up a notch. Highs become more detailed, mids become more clear and the bass hits a little harder. IMO a very good pairing with the Trio.

Effect Audio Leonidas II
I recall this having lots of detail while opening up the mids and top end of the Trio. Although I really liked the clarity this bought, I found it a little thin on the lows and it didn’t have that bit of ‘umph’ in the Trio bass that I like. This is a very good cable though and quite popular.

Satin Audio Hyperion 8 Wire
This was a fairly inexpensive cable, relative to this hobby of course. This was a touch above the stock premium cable IMO in sound but was also an SPC. I think for the price (again relative) you are getting a good deal. It was also possibly the nicest feeling cable I’d handled.

Effect Audio Horus
This was a top quality cable. It sounded lovely. It felt balanced and just seemed to do everything well. It was like the little bears porridge in the Goldilocks story, it was ‘just right’. If I’d only had the cash when I auditioned it I would have bought it right there and then.

PW Audio 1950’s
I haven’t yet found the words to describe this cable. It is just on another level. I haven’t spent very long with this yet, but with the listening I have done, I already feel that it is something special. It is not a cable you would use for every day bopping I don’t think, but more where you want to sit back in a quiet room and just listen to how it portrays your music.

Ha ha...Feels like I’m making a long list. I hope it is of some use though 😃
This has been greatly helpful. Thank you so much!

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #13,549 of 23,561
PW Audio 1950’s

For a long time I never listened to any aftermarket cables, and i didn't have any personal opinions on the matter, despite the perpetual tempest of discussion that occurs on the topic.

i eventually did get the chance to try a few cables on my a18t...when i listened to the 1950 i was stunned by what i heard.

now, i routinely tell people the 1950 is the best cable i've ever heard.

it's always amusing to me when i see other people having the same reaction...maybe there's something to all this cable stuff...

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #13,550 of 23,561
I think I might actually be done chasing for a while.........

The Nio with the PW Audio No 10 (8 wire) and the Cayin N6ii E02 is just wonderful. Warm, bassy, luscious and so much fun.
Then you have the U12t with the Dunu Hulk. Detailed, smooth treble, the right amount of bass for instrumental/acoustic/vocal music and a great complement to the Nio.
Lookin' Good; Feelin' Good.

So in the words of The Offspring:
Aaaah... it's time to relax, and you know what that means.
A glass of wine, your favorite easy chair, and of course, this compact disc playing on your home stereo.
So go on, and indulge yourself, that's right!
Kick off your shoes, put your feet up.
Lean back and just enjoy the melodies.
After all, music soothes even the savage beast.

NioCayinPWAudio.jpgU12THulk.jpg

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #13,551 of 23,561
Nice job there. You gave the abalone plates the wings. :) Photoshop>Layer>Darken?
I did indeed, thanks. Felt the sphere was a bit too ordinary. I cut out the holes in the wings and placed the abalone on a separate layer below, then combined and saved. This is the version I like best, sticking with it.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #13,552 of 23,561
I did indeed, thanks. Felt the sphere was a bit too ordinary. I cut out the holes in the wings and placed the abalone on a separate layer below, then combined and saved. This is the version I like best, sticking with it.
You should totally ask if 64 can cut out a custom shape like that from the abalone

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #13,553 of 23,561
I have the Fourte Noir and Solaris SE, and the genres I listen to are quite similar to yours. I find the Fourte Noir is better in instruments and soundstage, but in female vocals, mid to high-mid ranges, sounds relatively thinner and backward, comparing to the Solaris. Solaris drives the vocal more forward and sounds full and outstanding. Just my 2 cents

The Fourte has a different tuning than the Noir, but at least they share something in common.
Thanks , have you ever tried the u18t and the U12t?

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #13,554 of 23,561
U12t and IER-Z1R complement each other pretty well I’d say. But, I haven’t heard the Fourte or U18t.
Oh cool
In Thailand Audio 64 is having a sale campaign until the end of this week: A12t are 2300 USD after discount (still more expensive here in Thailand) U18T are 2435 USD after discount. Fourte are 3000 USD after discount. Im having a difficult time choosing between 3 of these IEM and would like some opinion from the head fi community. Thanks.
For my music genre would out 135 usd more be more it to get the u18t instead of the a12t? And 700 usd to go with fourth instead of u18t?
Thanks for all suggestions in advance!

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #13,555 of 23,561
Oh cool
For my music genre would out 135 usd more be more it to get the u18t instead of the a12t? And 700 usd to go with fourth instead of u18t?
A12t.

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #13,557 of 23,561
Anyone knows if 64a has a new flagship on mind ? A new Fourte successor?
Maybe in custom?

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #13,558 of 23,561

From a price/performance perspective, U18t at 2435 would seems like the best deal among the three with the prices you mentioned. A/U12t is a good choice but the ‘discounted’ price you got is even more than normal price. While for Fourte, it may be risky unless you’ve demoed & really like it’s unique tuning, and willing to pay for the most expensive one. Anyway, in my opinion, you shouldn’t just buy based on price alone and if possible demo first before buying. In the end, it’s difficult for anyone to tell you which is better to buy, only you yourself can decide what’s worth it and best sound to you.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #13,560 of 23,561
Upgraditis kicking in? :relaxed:
How’s the Fourte Noir + new cable doing?

Haha I think wallet is being impatient lol lol willing to go on spending $ 🤑🤑🤑

Noirs + silver are doing amazing and just bought a zx507 just for fun to have something different as sound as 1a by it self is too right and accurate lol. I want some fun sound once in a while.
Noirs bass is really fun you can tune it via many ways. 🙃😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back