The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #13,051 of 23,560
Interesting, never though of it that way. The only other hybrid I’ve had at this level was the Legend X and it’s bass is something else and not an iem that I would call balanced but it was fun.
Yep, all frequencies play off each other. An overload of bass on the LX, for example, means a necessarily elevated treble, else the whole sound sig would be too dark. But that means the occasional treble peak as a compromise. So it's all an interplay. But DD bass in particular has some sonic characteristics, like a slower decay, that can affect the mids (even when it's not 'bleeding' into the mids) because you're hearing it all together, cohesively, in a tiny enclosure.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #13,052 of 23,560
Yep, all frequencies play off each other. An overload of bass on the LX, for example, means a necessarily elevated treble, else the whole sound sig would be too dark. But that means the occasional treble peak as a compromise. So it's all an interplay. But DD bass in particular has some sonic characteristics, like a slower decay, that can affect the mids (even when it's not 'bleeding' into the mids) because you're hearing it all together, cohesively, in a tiny enclosure.

This is something a lot of people tend to forget with regards to tuning. It’s also why I’ve always found the “Well, to make the perfect IEM, all you have to do is grab the DD from IEM A and mid drivers from IEM B and tweeters from IEM C and mash them together!” argument to be incredibly asinine and ill-informed.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #13,054 of 23,560
There is no such thing as "perfect ears" nor "perfect preferences". As such, there is no such thing as a "perfect IEM". Any desire to bestow that designation is futile at best.

The concept of a perfect IEM for me is another story altogether and that is everyone's own personal quest.

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #13,055 of 23,560
That, right there, is one of life's great mysteries. Or rather, the Holy Grail of this hobby. Neither of which has to date been found, to the best of my knowledge.
There is no such thing as "perfect ears" nor "perfect preferences". As such, there is no such thing as a "perfect IEM". Any desire to bestow that designation is futile at best.

The concept of a perfect IEM for me is another story altogether and that is everyone's own personal quest.

I wasn’t insinuating that there was a single, objecively-perfect IEM. I was just parodying those who not only think that there is one, but also think that it’s achieved by mashing together driver sets from different IEMs with no consideration for interactions between frequency ranges whatsoever.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #13,057 of 23,560

I don’t think that I can even say there’s a perfect IEM for me - I don’t think that such a thing even exists honestly... I love a lot of different stuff, and I can name several IEMs where I wouldn’t want anything to be changed and definitely find them to be “perfect” in their own way

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #13,058 of 23,560
Sep 2, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #13,060 of 23,560
I honestly think "updating" their logo right after releasing a new IEM (the Nio) is a bad move on their part... I can't imagine how new owners feel about having the "older" looking face plate only after 2 months.
FWIW, my Nio is now a rare "Collector's Edition" with the vintage 64 Audio logo :scream:

Seriously though, it looks like they've also changed the accessories, supplying Nio with a hard case instead of the round leather case, unless I'm reading it wrong. Although the box content photo is of the wrong IEMs, so not quite sure what to make of it. New Pelican case looks nice!

Sep 2, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #13,061 of 23,560
I honestly think "updating" their logo right after releasing a new IEM (the Nio) is a bad move on their part... I can't imagine how new owners feel about having the "older" looking face plate only after 2 months.
Im a nio owner, I can honestly say I do not care that my iem doesnt have the new logo. Though I will say that the new pelican case with insert looks MUCH more like something I would actually use over the leather case. As nice as the leather case is, its pretty small and since their cables still have memory wire, cant really store the iems in there without removing the cable or messing with the memory wire... meh.

Just checked and the pelican case is available to buy separately, though its $50 dollars, which I guess isnt too bad. Though it is $20 premium over the cost of the case by itself (pelican g10) for essentially a custom cut insert, the 64 audio logo and some personalized text.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #13,062 of 23,560
Im a nio owner, I can honestly say I do not care that my iem doesnt have the new logo. Though I will say that the new pelican case with insert looks MUCH more like something I would actually use over the leather case. As nice as the leather case is, its pretty small and since their cables still have memory wire, cant really store the iems in there without removing the cable or messing with the memory wire... meh.

Just checked and the pelican case is available to buy separately, though its $50 dollars, which I guess isnt too bad. Though it is $20 premium over the cost of the case by itself (pelican g10) for essentially a custom cut insert, the 64 audio logo and some personalized text.
I'd like to see what it looks like inside but that wasn't posted was it?

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #13,063 of 23,560
I'd like to see what it looks like inside but that wasn't posted was it?
Check the product listing for the Nio (and its probably on others too). Down at the bottom they always include an image of the package contents.This one now seems to be the wrong image (not the nio... looks like the a18s), but it does happen to show the new package contents, including a picture of the pelican case open with the insert.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #13,064 of 23,560
Check the product listing for the Nio (and its probably on others too). Down at the bottom they always include an image of the package contents.This one now seems to be the wrong image (not the nio... looks like the a18s), but it does happen to show the new package contents, including a picture of the pelican case open with the insert.
Oh ok just did so. Thanks! Looks a lot like the inside of the older EE cases.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #13,065 of 23,560
9AA9A471-F323-4204-8E2B-FD7D9340DEDB.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back