The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 25, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #12,916 of 23,556
all true. I’ve got plenty of cables so happy to buy an Odin minus that for 2k

Seems like the U12t is the most steady of the bunch! I doubt I’ll ever sell mine, I love it
Yeah I'll probably get a U12t again, as soon as funds allow. Right now I only have budget for one, and the Nio fits my preferences more. But the U12t is an exceptional IEM to have around for that special 'reference' listen when it's all about resolution, details and that holographic stage...

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #12,917 of 23,556
What type of music do you listen to?
Mostly pop and the vocal/progressive side of EDM. Bit of classical on the side.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #12,918 of 23,556
Yeah I'll probably get a U12t again, as soon as funds allow. Right now I only have budget for one, and the Nio fits my preferences more. But the U12t is an exceptional IEM to have around for that special 'reference' listen when it's all about resolution, details and that holographic stage...
Agreed with you 100% when you use words like, "reference," "resolution," and "details" to describe the U12t!

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #12,919 of 23,556
Seems like the U12t is the most steady of the bunch! I doubt I’ll ever sell mine, I love it
I sold my first one because of financial reasons pre-pandemic. I was able to get a second one and spend a lot of time with it during the lockdowns, my love for it did not change. Overall, it was the weight of the shells and the fit in my ear that led to me selling them this time around. Regardless the u12t is the undisputed number 1 on my list.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #12,920 of 23,556
Agreed with you 100% when you use words like, "reference," "resolution," and "details" to describe the U12t!
Absolutely, one of my plans was to use the u12t at church for live mixing. We're not planning to resume in person services anytime soon and I sold the u12t. Maybe a A12t will be in my hands when we do open up. I can't think of any other iem I could get within my constraints for that kind of use case. And my current stable is not exactly tuned for that kind of stuff.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #12,921 of 23,556
I must have. They tell me the Nio isn't really for sleeping. It's pretty delicate. But I wear IEMs for either exercise or sleep. Is there an IEM that is more durable, tougher and sounds this good? Recommendations please? You guys have fueled my equipment purchases for years. Thank you all for your help...

brad

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #12,922 of 23,556
I must have. They tell me the Nio isn't really for sleeping. It's pretty delicate. But I wear IEMs for either exercise or sleep. Is there an IEM that is more durable, tougher and sounds this good? Recommendations please? You guys have fueled my equipment purchases for years. Thank you all for your help...

brad

I went to sleep with the Nio, it’s fine provided you don’t turn your head. For going to sleep the most comfortable IEMs I used are hands down the Beyerdynamic Xelento, great sound, just not Nio level, and you can turn your head as much as you want.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #12,923 of 23,556
I went to sleep with the Nio, it’s fine provided you don’t turn your head. For going to sleep the most comfortable IEMs I used are hands down the Beyerdynamic Xelento, great sound, just not Nio level, and you can turn your head as much as you want.
For sleeping... Senn IE800s

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #12,925 of 23,556
I need IEMs to be quiet in bed...are the Tia Fourte's tougher? I'm looking for durable, tough and great sound. Price not important. I need the best. JMR77..how do the Senns compare to the Fourte's??

I just sold one of the toughest IEMs. A JH Audio metal jacket Angie II. It had a screw on 4 pin rather than 2 pin push on. Too big to sleep with though and size is why I sold it and then ordered a new custom Angie for a good price.

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #12,926 of 23,556
I need IEMs to be quiet in bed...are the Tia Fourte's tougher? I'm looking for durable, tough and great sound. Price not important. I need the best. JMR77..how do the Senns compare to the Fourte's??
It’s not the IEMs themselves that aren’t tough. It’s the 2-pin connection. Regardless of how high-quality the cable is, if you wear them to sleep you’re almost guaranteed to at the very least bend the pins. In your case you bent and then broke the pins. 2-pin connections aren’t meant to just detach by themselves. Even a steel spoon will bend with enough pressure/force and the 2-pin connectors on the cable are much thinner. This is why I suggested maybe getting an IEM with MMCX connectors. There are other inherent issues with MMCX connectors, but for this specific use-case, I think they are more likely to hold up better; they may just pop out of the IEM.

~edit - as @mwhals pointed out, the JH Audio 4-pin connectors are quite durable. Although with the non-metal JH Audio IEMs, I think the shells themselves are more likely to break around the connector than the cable/4-pin connectors themselves.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #12,928 of 23,556
what IEM with MMCX connectors would you recommend? thanks
no idea what your preferences are, but two that jump to mind are the Solaris 2020 and IEr-z1r. Latter may have fit issues given size (I personally has fit issues with them...may be challenging in bed given your use case)

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #12,929 of 23,556
My Fourte are also a small enough body to be easy to sleep with. I enjoy both the Senn and Fourte to nod off. The LX is too big and it broke the 2 pin solder joint on the cable.

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #12,930 of 23,556
Probably off-topic

Without knowing your signature preferences it would hard to make hard recommendations, but maybe take a took at the Sony M7 or M9; the semi-sleeved MMCX connection is quite solid. Campfire Audio IEMs have reinforced MMCX connections as well, although you may have fit issues with the shell shape/design. This is somewhat off-topic on the 64 Audio thread though so I suggest maybe taking this to PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back