The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #11,221 of 23,560
Guess the question now is whether it's worth it to me to go through the hassle of getting a replacement for something that I personally consider really minor.
Interesting predicament. Did they indicate if they'll do a swap right away, or do you have to get into the 4-week queue?

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #11,222 of 23,560
Interesting predicament. Did they indicate if they'll do a swap right away, or do you have to get into the 4-week queue?
Seemed to indicate they would ship a replacement out when they received mine back.

Just again, really trying to decide if I care enough and whether it's worth the time and (minor) expense of shipping it back.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #11,224 of 23,560
The UERR is a warm, natural-sounding monitor as well, though it'll lag a tad behind the 12 and 18 in resolution, especially at the uppermost frequencies. The 12 and 18's higher extension also means greater separation to capture those tiny nuances. Still, If the mix isn't too crowded, the RR should suffice for checking reverbs and tails, as well as panning. Speaking from a sound engineer's perspective, I could probably comfortably use it to mix and monitor a 4-to-5-piece band, for example. Though, when it gets to the size of my church band (9 vocalists, 2 keyboardists, 2 string players, 2 guitarists, 1 sax player, 1 bassist, 1 drummer and 1-2 percussionists), I would require something with the definition and headroom of the 12 or the 18 for the most precise editing and mixing possible.

Thank you very much. Quite helpful.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #11,225 of 23,560
What about JH Audio Layla? Flat as hell, but with bass switch to tune that.

I don't know, I am not much excited about considering a JH Audio product. I have been following them for years on forums and reviews and I have noticed very little innovation while 64Audio, Noble and others took long strides with newer tech and features as even new players emerged with more promising tech. Also, again from purely my forum readings over years, most JH universals with high driver count look unwieldy and come with huge shells and with quite a few build quality issues -except, maybe, the newer steel shells. I admit I never used a JH product but the kind of brand impression I accumulated in my own mind from reading feedback of users over years is the truth or half truth or plain assumption that they are like an old rock band who had a great hit or two in the long past when there was little competition who became complacent with nothing new to offer except rock-music-inspired faceplate and font designs and names every now and then with a few monochrome photographs with long hair and tattoos thrown into advertising, and a few celebrity endorsements who might be just as old and as seemingly complacent themselves, and with the only constant in life and career being their continued association with good ol' Astell & Kern who seem to be more desperate suddenly than JH in retaining their premium market share by offering more and newer products across the price-line. And the new proprietary cables with 7-pin and 4-pin connectors that JH premium IEMs are coming in -don't know if it's a good thing or bad. If I am forced to go with a JH product, I would rather choose their low-end and less-assuming 3-driver offerings for general non-pro use. Dinosaurs are real. Sorry, no filter.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #11,226 of 23,560
I have owned both A12 (pre-2017 version of A12t, not using tia driver for highs), and u18t. I am just a casual listener, not in the music industry. But I like A12 better than u18t.

For professional's use: u18t is not V shaped, but I won't consider it flat, because there are dips in certain frequency areas, e.g. big dip from 3k~1.5kHz. And sounded too lean and dry. I would imaging it will create issues if people use it for mixing, because they will tend to boost in this area, and tend to add more reverb in order to sound right in u18t. Then play the it back on most consumers' phones and speakers wont' sound right, will sound too bloated.

For audiophile use: I feel that u18t outputs 'frequencies' instead of 'life like instruments'. When playing back the music, my brain need to make great effort and take 1~2 seconds time to figure out what's this instrument? what's that instrument? A12 is totally different, it outputs 'life like instruments', the brain need to do zero work, and take zero time, everything is right there realistically.

I guess people using expensive cables with u18t, indeed are just colorizing the sound to compensate for these 2 inherent properties of u18t. The best solution is to just get A18s, (and throw any junk cable, it should sound good as well)

Thank you very much. I can use as many impressions as possible from as many willing users as possible before taking my first CIEM decision.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #11,227 of 23,560
Did anyone else order the Nio directly from 64 Audio and find it came with the professional in the box rather than premium cable? Which is not what is pictured and described on the product page? I'm pretty confused right now.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #11,228 of 23,560
Did anyone else order the Nio directly from 64 Audio and find it came with the professional rather than premium cable? Which is not what is pictured and described on the product page? I'm pretty confused right now.
can you post some pictures?

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #11,229 of 23,560
can you post some pictures?
IMG_1427.jpg

Took me a few days to realize this is not the cable shown on the product page.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #11,230 of 23,560

wow i'd be pretty upset if i pre-ordered expecting getting the silver premium cable and got that.

that almost lools like the stock cable too..

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #11,231 of 23,560
Did anyone else order the Nio directly from 64 Audio and find it came with the professional in the box rather than premium cable? Which is not what is pictured and described on the product page? I'm pretty confused right now.

I think I actually saw them change the promotional pictures on their website from the professional to the premium. They may have actually changed their minds mid-rollout of the IEM.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #11,232 of 23,560
wow i'd be pretty upset if i pre-ordered expecting getting the silver premium cable and got that.

that almost lools like the stock cable too..

I think he meant the regular premium cable instead of the silver.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #11,234 of 23,560

You're right actually. I just noticed I received the professional cable instead of the premium, which is stated on the website product page to be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back