The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #9,032 of 23,686
Makes sense, you influenced me towards that direction. ^-^

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #9,035 of 23,686
I also had n6ii and amp a01 & t01.
I had it for a month and did intense a/b with my wm1z.

Well you know the end of that story lol.
I now have wm1z + pw1960 4 wires + trio.

What I would like to say is, one of you has ier-z1r and other tia trio.
Both of these iems are way above what n6ii can offer. If you go in to ToTL daps youl be impressed how much better your iems sound. At some point youl be even mesmerized lol x]

Try wm1z sp2000 cayin n8 Lpgt
And feel the results!
Ehh, truthfully, I am not much of a believer in spending huge amounts on daps/dacs/amps either. Yes they are better, but the diminishing returns kick in so hard with those that I am about maxed out for what I am comfortable spending there. And especially not cables. Thats one I just dont get at all. Not trying to start any arguments. Just I am pretty happy with my source gear at the moment and honestly sometimes struggle to hear any real differences between even the n6ii and my phone, even with the z1r.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #9,037 of 23,686
You are completely right mashuto, diminishing returns are a real thing. Let me share my story.

I have messed with desktop set ups and speaker set ups prior to messing with the portable set ups. I wanted to see how far can portables can go since desktop set ups/speakers will always reign supreme. With that said, despite throwing so much in the portable set up, it is still not fully satisfying because desktop set ups/speakers murder it regardless.

BUT it did satisfy my curiosity as to how far portable audio can go, and to be fair the portable stuff have come a long way especially the IEMs. When you change dap or cable and really need to pay attention to notice the differences, then it likely is not that big of an upgrade unless you are very nit picky and value those small improvements enough to bleed your wallet for.

Speakers and desktop set ups for life though, can be cheaper and still murders the portable game.

Just some random words spewed.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #9,038 of 23,686
You are completely right mashuto, diminishing returns are a real thing. Let me share my story.

I have messed with desktop set ups and speaker set ups prior to messing with the portable set ups. I wanted to see how far can portables can go since desktop set ups/speakers will always reign supreme. With that said, despite throwing so much in the portable set up, it is still not fully satisfying because desktop set ups/speakers murder it regardless.

BUT it did satisfy my curiosity as to how far portable audio can go, and to be fair the portable stuff have come a long way especially the IEMs.

Speakers and desktop set ups for life though, can be cheaper and still murders the portable game.

Just some random words spewed.
I think theres only so much you can do with a battery powered device. Though its part of the reason I was interested in the e01 module for the n6ii due to the class a amp. And theres a difference sure. Its just that I think you are really playing in the margins with those things. So I hear people talk about these major differences and it just hasnt been my experience. Hell, not even with the iems themselves. You spend $2k on an IEM and yea its usually better than something that costs $100, but these days, $100 stuff is pretty great, and all that extra goes into tweaking the last little bit of the sound. Its just that there are more tangible differences between IEMs than what I have experienced with daps or amps or cables.

And again to everyone. If those things are worth it to you, great. I would never presume to claim anyone is wrong for spending their money or hearing what they hear. Just for me, I have a hard time believing that daps/amps or cables are really worth the huge price (again, for me). I even heard a hugo 2 over the weekend. It was nice, but honestly, I would be hard pressed to tell any major differences between it and my n6ii... or as I said above, even my phone on occasion.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #9,039 of 23,686
Yes, we all hear differently, whatever sounds best to each individual is highly personal and more expensive does not always mean its better.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #9,040 of 23,686
Those things you guys mentioned have always existed and will be forever whispered and shared among all threads...

It is an opinion of the global mind thinking. Its like the rumors and thoughts that are circulating the forum.

I used to read those comments and at some point believe in them.

But never 100% acknowledged them since I had to hear it my self to believe in those thoughts.

Diminishing returns
Snake oil cables
There is only 5% gain its not worthy.
Too expensive

Bla bla bla ect ect

I tried it and I know irs worth it!
Yes expensive but it delivered so much more and in absolute top best experience!

Yes in 5 years there will be new technology and new ways to deliver.

I dont regret owning what I have I tested it and it proved it self.

There is a lot more I can feel and experience emotionally with my setup.
I can listen to same music on another setup and it ignites nothing in my feelings but my setup makes me cry of joy its that beautiful!

That is why its so different! Cause its on a very different level of refinement! Pure pleasure

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #9,041 of 23,686
I know what you mean, that last 5 percent sometimes gives you that crossing the line of having emotions touched versus not at 95%.

The hobby is an interesting one, that is for sure.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #9,042 of 23,686
Those things you guys mentioned have always existed and will be forever whispered and shared among all threads...

It is an opinion of the global mind thinking. Its like the rumors and thoughts that are circulating the forum.

I used to read those comments and at some point believe in them.

But never 100% acknowledged them since I had to hear it my self to believe in those thoughts.

Diminishing returns
Snake oil cables
There is only 5% gain its not worthy.
Too expensive

Bla bla bla ect ect

I tried it and I know irs worth it!
Yes expensive but it delivered so much more and in absolute top best experience!

Yes in 5 years there will be new technology and new ways to deliver.

I dont regret owning what I have I tested it and it proved it self.

There is a lot more I can feel and experience emotionally with my setup.
I can listen to same music on another setup and it ignites nothing in my feelings but my setup makes me cry of joy its that beautiful!

That is why its so different! Cause its on a very different level of refinement! Pure pleasure
This is one of those topics that I try to tread lightly around because I know it gets contentious. So again, if it works for you, great. I just dont think those are avenues I personally want to explore or will personally see the benefit from. I just know where my priorities are, and where I will see the most benefit and those are the areas I try and stick to.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #9,043 of 23,686
I never miss a chance to rave about that combo.

A18 and 1950 is:ok_hand:

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #9,044 of 23,686
I know what you mean, that last 5 percent sometimes gives you that crossing the line of having emotions touched versus not at 95%.

The hobby is an interesting one, that is for sure.

That’s exactly right,.. that last 5% can be all the difference in the world for enjoyment.

I never miss a chance to rave about that combo.

A18 and 1950 is:ok_hand:

Now that’s a combo I’d love to hear...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #9,045 of 23,686
I think theres only so much you can do with a battery powered device. Though its part of the reason I was interested in the e01 module for the n6ii due to the class a amp. And theres a difference sure. Its just that I think you are really playing in the margins with those things. So I hear people talk about these major differences and it just hasnt been my experience. Hell, not even with the iems themselves. You spend $2k on an IEM and yea its usually better than something that costs $100, but these days, $100 stuff is pretty great, and all that extra goes into tweaking the last little bit of the sound. Its just that there are more tangible differences between IEMs than what I have experienced with daps or amps or cables.

And again to everyone. If those things are worth it to you, great. I would never presume to claim anyone is wrong for spending their money or hearing what they hear. Just for me, I have a hard time believing that daps/amps or cables are really worth the huge price (again, for me). I even heard a hugo 2 over the weekend. It was nice, but honestly, I would be hard pressed to tell any major differences between it and my n6ii... or as I said above, even my phone on occasion.
I think that's pretty much the essence of this hobby. Most of us do it. Within the limits of our budget we try to push the boundaries of performance, tinker to our preferences and simply indulge in our hobby. It doesn't always have to be rationalised. It is about finding gear that makes the music resonate with us, and music is emotion, it speaks to us at a sometimes deeply personal level. How far you are willing to go depends entirely on your own personal situation and what feels good for you.

I have expensive cables paired with the Trio, but that's just tinkering, and I have other IEMs (eg. Dita Fealty) where I don't even want to change the stock cable because it is so comfortable and practical. The expensive gear is also most important for me when I take the time to sit back, close my eyes and focus fully on the music and the music alone. At that time I perceive the marginal differences as much more pronounced and I am willing to invest in that because it actually helps me (a health benefit). When I do other things, I love listening to music while cooking, I often turn to less expensive gear that I simply like for their musicality. All I want then is something to make me tap my feet and shake my bum... Preferably without cutting myself as I chop the veg. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back