The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 29, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #7,396 of 23,565
thanks Banana - i hear you.what alo? i had ref 8.

I had the old SXC8 - it looked nice, and I really liked the single blue/red wire on each side. Unfortunately, my experience with their non-stock cables is that they’re stiff, microphonic, and heavy. It pulled down on my CIEMs and had the canals digging into my ears. Bleh.

I then went completely in the other direction and grabbed a SuperBaX, which might as well be weightless. Haven’t looked back since.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #7,397 of 23,565
No. What I selected was translucent charcoal. There is no 'canal color' in 64's IEM designer; that was a pretty weak joke of mine.

Either there was some kind of print error, or there's a MASSIVE, perfectly regular change in the acrylic thickness all the way around both canals, because there's a perfectly straight line where it's dark
grey on the canal side, and almost totally clear on the body side. No gradient whatsoever like I would expect to see if the difference was caused by a gradual change in thickness.
I can explain this, your canal is very large and the wall that fills the canal is extra thick since the bores are in the middle. If you look at the 3d model they printed it would be a hard cutoff there. If you had smaller canals this wouldn’t be as noticeable but they are all like that. Yours is just accentuated. This is my experience from printing shells at 64 and for FiR.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jul 30, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #7,398 of 23,565
Excellent question! Looking forward to an answer. I would also like to know if this is true with sources as well. If it's TRUE that cables and sources have no effect on LID iems it would seem to me to be a significant downside since I love altering my sound with various sources and cables, in fact it's one of the most magical things about IEMs IMO.
64 Audio have in the past suggested the A/U18t for those that want to experiment with sound the most, that’s why it doesn’t have LID tech included. I personally saw LID as a plus , I use my A12t with a variety of sources from an AK DAP, xDSD, iPad and PlayStation controller and airplane seats.

With all That said, collecting experiences of others would be good. A friend of mine had an almost visceral reactions between the AE Cleo vs Leo II using his EE Phantom. I heard an improvement in sound presentation (still trying to find the words) but for me it was more like splitting hairs between the two.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #7,399 of 23,565
all these people on going custom getting me interested in going custom on a18t. pls tell me if my rationale is in error:
- i like u18t and assume a18t will be exactly the same
- fitment/seal is an issue especially with say silverfi r4 cable which is 12 wire. very stiff etc and custom would help with that. maybe even make r4 a better prospect generally for portable use?

Not the same at all, A18t is smoother.

Jul 30, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #7,400 of 23,565
all these people on going custom getting me interested in going custom on a18t. pls tell me if my rationale is in error:
- i like u18t and assume a18t will be exactly the same
- fitment/seal is an issue especially with say silverfi r4 cable which is 12 wire. very stiff etc and custom would help with that. maybe even make r4 a better prospect generally for portable use?
In my experience the A18t has a bit more of a V shape as a result of the better seal and more pronounced bass. The tia driver is also perfectly placed just outside of your eardrum helping you really experience the tubeless treble.

What I like about the A18t is just how pronounced and magnificent instruments sound. The U18t is somewhat more neutral and much more durable - overall I’d choose the U over the A personally, for both its sound signature and durability. The red shells also look spectacular

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #7,401 of 23,565
I can explain this, your canal is very large and the wall that fills the canal is extra thick since the bores are in the middle. If you look at the 3d model they printed it would be a hard cutoff there. If you had smaller canals this wouldn’t be as noticeable but they are all like that. Yours is just accentuated. This is my experience from printing shells at 64 and for FiR.

Damned large ear canals. They make my hearing really good, though.

Jul 30, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #7,402 of 23,565
My A12t has shipped with Friday as the estimated delivery! That would make 64 audio A12t only 6 days longer than Empire Ears Legend X from impressions received on the same day to getting the CIEM to our house. Top level IEMS received on consecutive weekends is awesome!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #7,403 of 23,565
My A12t has shipped with Friday as the estimated delivery! That would make 64 audio A12t only 6 days longer than Empire Ears Legend X from impressions received on the same day to getting the CIEM to our house. Top level IEMS received on consecutive weekends is awesome!

Even better! I got an email the shipment was canceled and then another email update that a shipment was made with Thursday delivery.

That means they were only 5 days behind Empire Ears, so they both are pretty fast without having to do a Rush payment.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #7,404 of 23,565
Even better! I got an email the shipment was canceled and then another email update that a shipment was made with Thursday delivery.

That means they were only 5 days behind Empire Ears, so they both are pretty fast without having to do a Rush payment.

I’m must almost be as exited to read your listening impressions as you are to receive them. It’s been fun following your journey man!

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #7,405 of 23,565
Quick question for the 64 Audio experts: I currently use JH Audio Layla CIEMs for portable, "on the go" listening in a busy city downtown, but I notice that the 26db isolation is too unsafe for me (i.e. I run the risk of getting hit by a car if I'm not looking carefully enough). So I find that I need a CIEM that has less isolation to allow me to listen on the go but still be safe in a busy downtown area. Does anyone have any experience with the 15db or 20db isolation Apex modules? Would either provide the right balance of noise isolation without being too isolating as to be unsafe on the go? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #7,406 of 23,565
Quick question for the 64 Audio experts: I currently use JH Audio Layla CIEMs for portable, "on the go" listening in a busy city downtown, but I notice that the 26db isolation is too unsafe for me (i.e. I run the risk of getting hit by a car if I'm not looking carefully enough). So I find that I need a CIEM that has less isolation to allow me to listen on the go but still be safe in a busy downtown area. Does anyone have any experience with the 15db or 20db isolation Apex modules? Would either provide the right balance of noise isolation without being too isolating as to be unsafe on the go? Thanks!
It’s actually also been a concern of mine - walking around with IEMs while there’s cars and all sorts of things happening around me

The M15 is considerably less isolation than -26db, but it is still a bit too much for me - I can faintly hear cars but only when they’re really close by - if something were to be happening I wouldn’t be able to react. I am getting the fircon modules soon and I’m curious if the 13 from them will do the job

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #7,407 of 23,565
Hi guys, I wanna try fourte noir's stock cable (8-wire) with my original fourte, if you are willing to sell one pls contact me thank :*

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #7,408 of 23,565
I would not use a CIEM around cars, even if it has only 15 DBs of isolation. Some cars are pretty quiet, especially if they are electric. I have seen people walk with an ear bud (as in Apple) in one ear and nothing in the other when walking around cars.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #7,409 of 23,565
I know what you mean. I have Layla too. I'm ok walking on the edge of the road where there is no sidewalk, and I'm facing oncoming traffic. I'm safe on a sidewalk. I'm not safe on a busy intersection with a crosswalk even with light protection. Cars that turn don't look for pedestrians when they turn over a crosswalk. I was almost hit a couple times by cars turning. I started wearing flashing bike lights at night when I lived in this neighborhood.

I have an A18t on order. Not because of the noise isolation reduction, even if that's a plus for on the go. I ordered one because I wanted a vent to relieve the ear-seal. I don't know what driver flex is, but when I'm on a plane and the altitude adjust I get a helicopter sound when the plane reduces altitude until I remove and reseat them. If I wiggle my ears I get a pop sound, (it's involuntary when something weird is in my ear but the more I listen the less it happens). If my ears sweat the noise is louder. If I take them out too quick, the pressure can hurt, not always, it's inconsistent. I can report back walking around with A18t but I suspect it will be similar to Layla when music is playing.

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #7,410 of 23,565
Tried this today. Is it only me that can’t tell the diff bet. this and the original?
759E93EB-BFC6-4E52-AA48-B5CEAF7346EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back