The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #6,946 of 23,565
hmmmm... i used to be super sensitive to treble and sibilance but no longer. thank god, because i do not like warm iems.

and the u18t were just that, they were warm and also had a very distinct v-shape. i detected the v-shape suddenly in my demo and was like 'whoa'.

so as i switched between the fourte and u18t, i kept feeling pulled back towards the u18t. however, i reasoned that it was because of the warmth. warm sound is inviting.

so the reasons why i dismissed the u18t was:

1) warmth is not my preference
2) distinct v-shape so it just sounds too man-made. it was almost "perfectly crafted"
3) i bought and returned the u12t and some claim it to be better than u18t. but ultimately u12t was more neutral but at times sounded congested due to 12 drivers. so im guessing the u18t would sound even more congested.

i've read recently many people claiming the u18t to be 'perfect' or 'just so good can't imagine selling' which i believe; but o well, got the fourtes and its pretty hard to imagine them topping the fourtes despite what people say.

Just curious, how many different U18t have you heard and for how long have you tested each one? And did you use it with foam or silicone eartips? Because what you are describing above is not even remotely the sound of U18t, warm? distinctly v-shaped? congested? and why would you say that you "guess" about U18t being congested if you actually heard it with your own ears? Sorry man, not trying to give you a hard time, although it sounds like you are still trying to convince yourself about Foute being the right choice for you :wink: It's a big purchase, and I completely understand you (though I can't relate because I'm a reviewer, I don't buy products, but I do understand where you are coming from).

I been using U18t and Fourte for over 2 years, tested and compared multiple pairs at both NYC CanJams, measured both and saw other people's measurements, as well as reading dozens of impressions from trusted review sources, and I don't recall ever seeing anybody referring to U18t as being warm, distinctly v-shaped, or congested. U18t w/silicone tips is my go-to reference IEM I use in all my testing due to its transparency (the opposite of warm coloring) and its layering and separation of sounds (the opposite of being congested). There is not much warmth due to its leaner lower mids and peaks around 2kHz, 6.5kHz, and 12kHz.

I would just guess, because you said that you used to be super sensitive to treble and sibilance (all the bright peaks of lower and mids treble) but not anymore, maybe your hearing has changed? I actually found the same thing with my hearing over the past 4 years when I go back reading my older reviews and comparing how I hear the same IEMs now. Our ears do change with age due to surrounding environment, health, etc. If you can't hear well upper frequencies. your ears perceive it as rolled off, maybe that's why you hear it as warm?

But regardless, it really doesn't matter what I say or someone else says. You got Fourte, and it sounds great to YOUR ears. That's all that matters. Sometimes we do describe the sound of the same IEM differently because we hear it differently. But at the end of the day, it's your ears and how you hear it. So cheers and enjoy Fourte :)

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #6,948 of 23,565
Very strange. V shape is usually not warm. The Forte are very warm with rolled off treble and muddy lows.

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #6,949 of 23,565
I'm joining the 64 Audio club. I just ordered A18T over the weekend.

I came very close to buying an A18T during the sale, but I decided to wait for the new release that's hopefully coming in the next 2 weeks.

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #6,950 of 23,565
When I auditioned the 18, I definitely thought it was warm at first. Then I realized I was fixating on a lot of low end texture that usually would have gone completely ignored. Then I was free to turn my attention to the treble and fixate on that.

When my finished set shows up in a couple weeks I’ll be interested to see which Apex gets the most play. I’m not sure I will want that bassier presentation or the leaner, analytic one

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #6,951 of 23,565
First time i see someone said that U18t is warm. Its very interesting. :ksc75smile:
Im dying cus of waiting for my second A18t. It will deliver later next week.
Btw im looking for a truely portable dap that it can pair well with A18t. A small dap that can easily put into jean pocket to carry arround. Any recommendations ?

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #6,952 of 23,565
First time i see someone said that U18t is warm. Its very interesting. :ksc75smile:
Im dying cus of waiting for my second A18t. It will deliver later next week.
Btw im looking for a truely portable dap that it can pair well with A18t. A small dap that can easily put into jean pocket to carry arround. Any recommendations ?

A18t w DX229 is damn incredible.

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #6,956 of 23,565
so as i switc bought and returned the u12t and some claim it to be better than u18t. but ultimately u12t was more neutral but at times sounded congested due to 12 drivers. so im guessing the u18t would sound even more congested.

I love that we're all different in our psychoacoustic experience and I love that you felt the U12t to be at times congested. I really do - people are amazing! I found the U18t to be more open than the U12t and less congested (not assuming that the opposite of "congested" is necessarily "open" as we haven't defined our terms).

Now that my ear is very used to the signature of the U18t, I'm curious to revisit the Fourte and the Fourtissimo (as @Matthew420 named it recently).

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #6,957 of 23,565
HI everyone,

I've been having some serious trouble with driver flex and popping sound with these iems. the popping or crinkling sounds come out when I push them into my ear (not forcefully, just regularly) and/or when i turn my head left or right. Not only is this problem annoying like when in the middle of listening to a great song, you hear a pop that completely takes you out of it, but also this driver flex causes major pain. Has anyone else experienced this with these iems and to what degree? Thank you all very very much. this is a major problem for me.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #6,958 of 23,565
Just curious, how many different U18t have you heard and for how long have you tested each one? And did you use it with foam or silicone eartips? Because what you are describing above is not even remotely the sound of U18t, warm? distinctly v-shaped? congested? and why would you say that you "guess" about U18t being congested if you actually heard it with your own ears? Sorry man, not trying to give you a hard time, although it sounds like you are still trying to convince yourself about Foute being the right choice for you :wink: It's a big purchase, and I completely understand you (though I can't relate because I'm a reviewer, I don't buy products, but I do understand where you are coming from).

I been using U18t and Fourte for over 2 years, tested and compared multiple pairs at both NYC CanJams, measured both and saw other people's measurements, as well as reading dozens of impressions from trusted review sources, and I don't recall ever seeing anybody referring to U18t as being warm, distinctly v-shaped, or congested. U18t w/silicone tips is my go-to reference IEM I use in all my testing due to its transparency (the opposite of warm coloring) and its layering and separation of sounds (the opposite of being congested). There is not much warmth due to its leaner lower mids and peaks around 2kHz, 6.5kHz, and 12kHz.

I would just guess, because you said that you used to be super sensitive to treble and sibilance (all the bright peaks of lower and mids treble) but not anymore, maybe your hearing has changed? I actually found the same thing with my hearing over the past 4 years when I go back reading my older reviews and comparing how I hear the same IEMs now. Our ears do change with age due to surrounding environment, health, etc. If you can't hear well upper frequencies. your ears perceive it as rolled off, maybe that's why you hear it as warm?

But regardless, it really doesn't matter what I say or someone else says. You got Fourte, and it sounds great to YOUR ears. That's all that matters. Sometimes we do describe the sound of the same IEM differently because we hear it differently. But at the end of the day, it's your ears and how you hear it. So cheers and enjoy Fourte :)
you're right absolutely. the good reviews of the u18t bother me about the fourte. and the good reviews of the solaris bother me about the andromeda.
but endgame is a choice.

also, it could be possible that the u18t is neutral, not warm. could just be my ears. but i did detect a mild v-shape. again could just be that i was influenced, but this guy's ranking list also calls it 'warm v-shape'

https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #6,960 of 23,565
HI everyone,

I've been having some serious trouble with driver flex and popping sound with these iems. the popping or crinkling sounds come out when I push them into my ear (not forcefully, just regularly) and/or when i turn my head left or right. Not only is this problem annoying like when in the middle of listening to a great song, you hear a pop that completely takes you out of it, but also this driver flex causes major pain. Has anyone else experienced this with these iems and to what degree? Thank you all very very much. this is a major problem for me.

Sounds a lot a like the issues I have with my right ear piece! However mine is due to loose internals as a result of an inadequate RMA. Give the iems a shake in your hand and see if you can hear anything inside that appears loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back