The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #5,524 of 23,560
I’m asking for the third time about some feedback on cable rolling with the A18t . Got anything to add?

I switched from Horus to Leo II with U18t, love the pair up, no plans to go back (my Leo II review covers this pair up in more details).

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #5,525 of 23,560
I switched from Horus to Leo II with U18t, love the pair up, no plans to go back (my Leo II review covers this pair up in more details).

Wish I lived in your part of the world . I want to avoid customs and exchange rates if possible and as I’m in the states it will be hard to acquire these fine cables . Maybe someone is selling one here . I’ll check .
I’ll have my gold silver X6 reterminated for the tzar and order a copper or silver plated copper from headphone lounge . I thought I remember someone at the 64 desk saying the new oem cables were SPC. Can anyone confirm ? This is where I look for value in a cable . I’m not into paying 3 times the price for 5% improvement. People rave about the dhc cables but damn.... cables worth as much as the components is where I get off the custom cable train .
So now my options are either copper or spc type 2 litz. Does anyone know if the tzar responds well to higher gauge stranding like 6 and 8 wire weaves or does it seem to like less mass in the cable (less conductance). Thanks for the feedback . Can’t wait for mine . Custom art with green trans plates .

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #5,526 of 23,560
Wish I lived in your part of the world . I want to avoid customs and exchange rates if possible and as I’m in the states it will be hard to acquire these fine cables . Maybe someone is selling one here . I’ll check .
I’ll have my gold silver X6 reterminated for the tzar and order a copper or silver plated copper from headphone lounge . I thought I remember someone at the 64 desk saying the new oem cables were SPC. Can anyone confirm ? This is where I look for value in a cable . I’m not into paying 3 times the price for 5% improvement. People rave about the dhc cables but damn.... cables worth as much as the components is where I get off the custom cable train .
So now my options are either copper or spc type 2 litz. Does anyone know if the tzar responds well to higher gauge stranding like 6 and 8 wire weaves or does it seem to like less mass in the cable (less conductance). Thanks for the feedback . Can’t wait for mine . Custom art with green trans plates .

I never paid duties when i bought a cable directly from EA, but if you are still worried, you can purchase them from MusicTeck (https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/effect-audio), the store is located in NJ.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #5,527 of 23,560

I had to re-read your post, thinking you were being sarcastic :D We are in the same part of the world where NJ based MusicTeck is the distributor of Effect Audio cables in US. Plus there are plenty of opportunities to try other premium cables since @Barra organized a number of US-based cable tours. PlusSound cables are great too, especially since you can contact them directly here in US (they are West Cost based). Btw, you just missed CanJam at RMAF right in your town (unless you attended it?) where you had a chance to try cables from manufacturers attending the show.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #5,528 of 23,560
I unfortunately/fortunately spent all of my time auditioning all of the iem makers booths at the RMAF to set on a flagship Monitor . I’ll check Musictec for pricing on Leo. I’m kind of drawn to the wire world Nano silver Eclipse. 27awg occ spc. Might be perfect . Smaller gauge then some cables but that can be a good thing depending on the loads on either end. Thanks again for the feedback.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #5,531 of 23,560
The new cable upgrade offerings from 64 are silver plated copper but only for full tia shells like forte . They are supposed to work better with the tia tec. Maybe that’s the way to go .
What makes you think the 12 t will get you that the 18 won’t? I’m thinking the wire world Nano silver eclipse might be the ticket . I’m not spending $1500 on a cable ....

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #5,533 of 23,560

A little "woe be me!" type post coming in, sorry.

I've been thinking of getting Leo II for the u18 lately -- but I'm also really-really wary of buying a new cable for these guys, because every cable I've bought ends up being worse than the original 64 audio SPC. Mind you, my "original" is a pentaconn 4.4 terminated "deluxe" version but still, compared to it:

Eros II+ -- soundstage is 40% smaller than the stock cable. Absolute no go. Damn, this is not a good cable at all.
Janus Dynamic -- nice, but way more fatiguing than original because of the heavy dramatic low end, and just all around thicker and slower than these monitors are intended to sound like. Thought it was a super combo at first, not any more.
ALO audio reference 8 -- the only cable thus far that sincerely improves on detail and soundstage, so very nice! but sadly also makes them sound much thinner than they should be, sometimes brutally and unmusically so.

Whenever I switch back to my standard cable I immediately feel the custom was unbalancing the sound in some crucial way, distorting it. I so-so clearly understand these guys do something to the sound signature that is not a good tradeoff. Then again, I do feel the original cable is a bottleneck for detail resolution and soundstage on the u18. (It's also hella ugly.) I have a dx200 Titanium amp4 and this source is soooo detailed and serious. So is the u18. I know the cable is a bottleneck there -- just can't seem to find the right one...

Any ideas on this?

Also, some serious questions about the celebrated Leo II

does it lessen soundstage compared to original, like Leonidas I? (which to my ears really did)
does it take bite away (smoothen) the sound -- a la Astell & Kern house sound and Effect Audio cables in general?
does it make them sound thin, like the horus or reference 8?
does it add extra weight to lows that make their bass fatiguing, like any copper cable basically? (really wary about coppers like 1960 2-wire after two copper cables have failed so hard for my ears (janus and eros)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #5,534 of 23,560
Thinking about getting a Linum Super Bax for my N8 just for usability reasons. I don't need the memory wire of the original cable since the customs already sit perfectly and don't need additional help. Furthermore I'm storing them connected to the ES100 and the more flexible cable would make putting them into a box easier.
Any thoughts on durability? I hope it fits the recessed sockets...

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #5,535 of 23,560
Thinking about getting a Linum Super Bax for my N8 just for usability reasons. I don't need the memory wire of the original cable since the customs already sit perfectly and don't need additional help. Furthermore I'm storing them connected to the ES100 and the more flexible cable would make putting them into a box easier.
Any thoughts on durability? I hope it fits the recessed sockets...
The Linux cables are very durable, but I would suggest to try it before buy one, it’s a warm cable and could affect the overall resolution of the N8. I tried long time ago with my SE5U and I didn’t like it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back